cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / S6 edge + Reservation numbers / Questions

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey everyone! 

As you noticed today Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 5. I watched the announcement at work while it was going on.  Here are some specs on it! 

• Android 5.1 Lollipop, TouchWiz
  • 5.7inch Quad-HD Super Amoled (2560×1440)
  • Exynos 7420 octa-core (2.1GHz quad + 1.5GHz quad) 64bit, 14nm
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 32 GB storage (No SD card slot) 
  • Non-removable 3,000 mAh battery with Fast Charging
  • 16MP rear camera F1.9 lens and OIS (optical image stabilization)
  • 5MP front-facing camera
  • WiFi N, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS and NFC
  • 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6mm
  • 171g
  • Wireless charging
  • SPen
  • 4G LTE enable

Rogers will be selling it for $359.99 on a 2-year term, $860 no-term  and the reservation system will be open as of August 14th. 

Rogers will be releasing this device ON August 21st in 32GB sapphire black it seems but hopefully they add the more GB later on. 

If you have any questions or concerns please post ANYTHING about the Note 5 and reservations here please and i will be able to assist you with any questions you have! 

Thanks! 🙂 

738 REPLIES 738

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / S6 edge + Reservatio​n numbers / Questions

Andre_Avigdor
I plan to stick around

I meant to say Note 3...

I didn't understand
"note (3) with 10k zero lemon"
... o__o what is a 10k zero lemon?

Also... Whats the Note 5 pen have a clicky thing for on top? does it actually do anything or give nervous people something to play with with the S Pen during business meeting?

Babukb2
I plan to stick around

i think the clicky thing helps with the spring loaded ejection of the S Pen from the device, but other than that  probably just a fun way to simulate a real pen and annoy people 😄

would've been handy if it was another button, not sure what you could do with it, something like hit the top clicky thing and Note 5 automatically switches to note taking on the screen? that would be handy, I've never used a Note so not sure if this might already be a feature of the regular button on the pen

@Meowmix thoughts on the device?

Patthe
I plan to stick around

The note 5 already have a new option when the screen is off, you cant take note directly on the screen with the pen.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @ShakTiburon & @Babukb2

The SPen has a click on the end of the pen to release it from the device. That's how the new pen works. As Samsung said it was made to simulate a real pen for business customers lol.

Patthe
I plan to stick around

The 10k zero lemon is a 10 000 mHa battery that you replace the original battery with. On my current s5 i have a 7 500 mHa battery.

Andre_Avigdor
I plan to stick around

Sorry... I meant 10k MAH battery (3x the original battery)... The spring load is to help the pen pop out of the phone...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Andre_Avigdor

Yes that was already explained with a couple post above :). Honestly the 10K mah battery is overkill. Yes we want bigger batteries but that's overkill lol.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey guys!

Alright here is a short review version of the device that I was able to use for 2 days. Hope u guys like it!

-The Device
The Device has a different look and feel from it from its older Note series devices. I don't like the glass back as it does get alot of fingerprints ans also it's slippery as well. They copied the same look of the S6 and added it to the Note series which that was a mistake. Although I never liked plastic, the Note 4 had what I liked. Removable backing for one and also no glass back. Total Apple move Samsung has done here. Again this is different but many don't like it. We shall see though. The back gets a bit warm / hot while using many apps on it or while charging. I noticed the same on my S6 Edge. It does have a steel frame with is what the S6 has and the back also curves. Don't know why they did that as its useless on the back.

-The screen
The screen is really beautiful and gorgeous. It's vivid and honestly very bright with colors. It's the same screen size as the Note 4 (5'7) but it's very nice!. I was hoping for 4k display but that won't come for a while. I do want to say that in sunlight it's not the best screen as its barely visible and u will have a hard time in the sun using the device even if it's at max brightness. The same goes for my Note 4 and S6.

-Battery
Ahh the battery. I used the device for no more then 13 hrs. The battery dead at that point. Second day which is today doing the exact same thing the battery died at 11.5 hrs. Don't know why the 1.5hrs difference but i don't know. I don't like that the battery is build in as i loved removing the battery and putting a new fully charge battery in. I did notice charging it with my wireless charger it did charge quite fast! Although that only helps someone if they always carry the Fast Adapting Wall charger. Fast charging is a great thing to add if u are running low on ur battery and have 20 minutes to charge ur device. It's will charge 30% if it's at 1%. Or even more.

- Memory
Where do i start? Samsung made a HUGE mistake with taking the SD card slot out of their devices and giving users 28.9GB of memory ( it's a 32GB model but the OS and other built in apps take space too). It's hard when you have to take lots of pictures, add music, videos and such if u don't wanna stream them off of ur cloud service. I do use Dropbox which i have a 1TB account for all my stuff. But as many and i have said, it's a down step. It's a shame really. Taking the SD card slot away was a huge mistake.

Little things do add that indeed they took out the Ir blaster which controls your TV, Set up box, receiver, Air conditioner and such. This is a drawback as this was amazing to have if u lose ur controllers let's say or they break. The device is really nice and looks like a bigger S6 with a SPen on it. Nothing really special other then taking the essentials out of it and adding wireless charging, fast charging, build in memory and new design. Hopefully Samsung in the next phase looks around at their mistakes and fixes them.

Andre_Avigdor
I plan to stick around

Here's a good comparison of the Note 4 vs. Note 5... I am somewhat torn between the 2 as I definitley need to upgrade from my Note 3 as I cracked the screen...

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/18/galaxy-note-5-vs-galaxy-note-4-comparison/

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Andre_Avigdor

That's a good thing but at the end of the day, it's up to u and each customer on which device they want. I'm sticking to my grounds and stay with my Note 4

Andre_Avigdor
I plan to stick around

And I am customer trying to decide on what to go with lol it's a very tough decision as I normally go with latest and greatest but some of the design on the Note 5 actually seems inferior to the Note 4 which makes the decision extremely challenging lol

wpd
I plan to stick around

Meowmix, thanks for the review, much appreciated.

I find this update to be more disappointing than the first time Apple introduced the "S" series . Effectively, they want more money for a device that does less than the version it's replacing. Nobody asked for glass that I can recall. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Note 4, which now I have battery issues since the recent update earlier this week.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Andre_Avigdor

Honestly i rather go with the Note 4. Many features the Note 4 have that the Note 5 doesn't. As u can see the ONLY good thing is the design change and built in wireless charging. ( Note 4 back plates wireless charging from Samsung are out there and I have one). Also the fast adapting chargers work for the Note 4 as well.

All in all, Note 4 is better lol. Again to each their own but someone that used both, i can tell the Note 4 is better.

Babukb2
I plan to stick around

not bad for battery, tests online showed around 9 something hours for Note 5, so your battery is probably nice and fresh and will still degrade a little to come down to the 9 hour mark, hopefully not though 🙂

28.9GB usable storage, again that's better than what i read, some review indicated that out of the 32 gb there was around 23 gb usable on the device

@Meowmix thank you for the write up, great info about the device and so far good news battery and storage wise

any comments on the software/feature side?

i know you mentioned it got warm/hot but how did the device respond? was it always smooth or did you encounter lag/stutter?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @wpd

No problem. Always doing reviews on the devices I get in the threads!.

The Note 4 as i have said has more features and is a better device overall. While yes it does have the extra GB in ram or the design change it offers more. Samsung is doing what Apple has done.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Babukb2

Honestly my Note 4 can last up to 15-16hrs max with LTE, WiFi, 75% brightness and always emailing, calling and texting. The Note 4has been used none stop so hearing the battery that goes to 9 hrs isn't good at all lol.

I did encounter some lag while 9 apps were on to be honest and shutter while using the camera. I notice that when I was calling someone and texting or going on the Internet, the device would lag a bit and then hold. I don't know what's that about.

The OS is still as what the S6 has but a new version. There is still bloatware on it which i tend not to like.

wpd
I plan to stick around

Is there a separate discussion taking place for the other new Samsung device or is it all this one ?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @wpd

Its all in this one. I didn't add it on the title as i didn't know Rogers was going to carry to. So we have been discussing the edge + in this thread too

wpd
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have an Edge + yet ?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @wpd

There is some that have reserved it but no one has actually gotten the device. Our store got 5 of them and my manager has the demo unit and using it.

Topic Stats