cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

mmostafaei
I plan to stick around

Any idea when this update will be released? Telus and Bell have already announced it. Telus is releasing it on 13th. What about Rogers?

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

@psre08 wrote:
Do you guys have "Ok google" enabled without knowing it. That is a serious battery hog which could explain that kind of drain as OK google would be included under Android system. Check in Google Now settings under "voice". That solved a friend's battery issues on a Telus Note 5.

yes I am aware of this, and no google voice is not enabled on my phone.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

@soundwave80 wrote:
Yes I wiped the cache partition, and just screen and Android OS is the problem.ive installed greenify but no help from that so I Uninstalled it.

Btw, in settings->advanced features, make sure to disable all those features. Also for the Display, disable the "Smart stay".

Check your settings->Accounts, do you have any that are complaining of "Sync Error", if so, re-add the accounts because that causes battery drains too. Android keeps trying to sync something but it keeps failing. 

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I have just about disabled everything there is to disable , sadly my note 5 has as many features enabled as a Nokia phone from 2001! I just did another factory reset but this time I set it up as a new device without doing a restore of anything. I'll post back to let you know how it goes.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I will check my phone and try turning it off .I also have voLTE disabled as I hear that consumes battery power. Thanks for the info.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
Any luck with a fresh reset without backup?

I tried disabling volte, made no difference.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
My first impression is yes it does seem to be making a difference.I still have lots of apps disabled and only downloaded a few apps from the play store ,but yesterday at this time I was around 20% battery now I'm at 50%.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
Hmm try installing all your apps and then see if it ends up being the same.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
A friend of mine has a note 5 on Telus and says he gets a day and a half of juice .He is going to put the Telus version of marshmallow on my note 5 . The reset did nothing ,still not going to make it past 6 pm on a full charge. Getting tired of this phone!

How do I upgrade to marshmallow?
I tried going to settings, software update, but it says nothinget and does nothing.
Imy stuck with android 5.1.1 and rogers says it has android 6.
I'm comfused...

donaldsnow
I plan to stick around
I'm still waiting too

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
Mabey Roger's stopped upgrades due to battery problems?

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
I drained my battery and then recharged to full. Didn't make any difference..

Soundwave let us know the results of your attempt. If different firmware doesn't make a difference then it's probably the batterys life decreasing? Annoying that the note 5 battery is built in too.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I will report back early next week when he flashes the software. But I doubt it's the battery since it just started to drain fast since marshmallow.

Everyone -- just tweeted out to @RogersHelp and they're claiming no other reports of battery drain issues -- just pointed them to this thread. There is a definite battery drain issue -- seeing the same problem. I've reset the phone (not from backup), wiped cache, tried a battery re-calibration (as per AndroidPit) and the issue remains. There is a definite change in battery consumption since the update and we need to really hit this home to Rogers.

I noticed that other carriers in the US pushed out the Marshmallow update with many complaining of battery drain issues - they then followed it up with another update and it seemed to clear the problem. Hopefully Rogers can do the same very soon.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I lose on average 5% a hour just with the screen off . I also installed battery doctor and it's always saying my battery is "unhealthy"

skip501
I plan to stick around

I have been following the thread on battery life after the update and thought that I would share my experience.

I updated my Rogers Note 5 the morning of May 31st.

Prior to the update, I would get through a full day (18 hours) without any issues, and with 25% left at the end of the day. My typical use pattern is business (email, calendar, docs, etc.), text messaging, Hangouts, Twitter, general browsing, Flipboard, and a bit of LinkedIn. I typically have 3.5-4 hours of Screen on Time (SOT) per day. I am not a gamer and do not have any games installed. I have disabled all notifications other than for the use mentioned above (with the expection of Twitter and LinkedIn notification being turned off). Lastly, I do use Knox.

The first 3 days with the update were a little rough. With the same usage characteristics, the battery lasted only 14 hours before it was totally dead (vs. 18 hours with 25% left).

The past two days, battery life has improved to the baseline prior to the update. Perhaps it takes a few days for Doze to kick in, or maybe Samsung's app optimization is reset by the update.

I did not clear my cache after the update or do a fresh install.

Anyhow, I hope that this information is of some use.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hey guys!

It seems most major Android updates that come out have major battery issues. The same happened with the Note 4 and also the S5. I wonder if this is something that Google or Samsung is doing to release updates after but again many of us are affected by this.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around
Wow this is crazy, I'm getting excellent battery on 6.0.1

At first it took a couple days to calm down, now I'm getting 3% drain every 7-10 hrs in stand by. Regular use gives me 5-6 hrs sot surfing the Web, watching videos on YouTube, twitter, fb, 3d games etc..

Hopefully they can get it sorted out for you guys.

donaldsnow
I plan to stick around
Still waiting for the update

psre08
I plan to stick around
It's unfortunate so many people are having problems. Battery life is noticeably better for me and my wife's Note 4 is as undrainable as ever.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
What update method did you use Samsung smart switch or OTA?