cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

mmostafaei
I plan to stick around

Any idea when this update will be released? Telus and Bell have already announced it. Telus is releasing it on 13th. What about Rogers?

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Sushil1011

If you update your device via SmartSwitch no, it will not erase your device. It will leave it intact. All it will do is update the software. I would back it up just in case though.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @PaulyT

Go into google and search Samsunf SmartSwitch. Then download it into your laptop or desktop. Plug in your device and back it up before hand just incase u lose anything ( nothing will happen but just to make sure). From there just download the software update it gives u.

PaulyT
I've been here awhile
Thanks everyone, I got it now. That worked.

i also didn't receive. What i found when u update through Smart switch u wont get WiFi calling facility

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @viru08

From what i noticed only a certain people are having that issue. Mine worked just fine via SmartSwitch but my buddies did not. So who knows whats the issue here.

donaldsnow
I plan to stick around
Still waiting for the update

manishk
I've been here awhile

NOTUPTODATE.pngTired of seeing "software is up to date" ='(

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @manishk

Hmm i wonder why yours still hasn't update but again it's going in waves. Maybe your area hasn't gotten it yet?

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

hmm, Android 6.0 is supposed to help save battery, but for me it did the quite opposite... I feel the battery drains even faster than Lollipop. Anyone else noticed this at all?

psre08
I plan to stick around
It's better but you need to take advantage of doze mode. In addition, if you blocked most app notifications in lollipop (and you should to squeeze out more battery life) then you would need to do it all over again.

For doze mode go to the battery settings, select battery usage and under the "more" button select optimize.

Note that in marshmallow doze mode is active only when the phone is lying flat. It won't activate if it's moving in a pocket or bag.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
Same thing with me. My battery used to last until around 10 pm then I would charge it to make it the rest of the night. Now I am completely drained by 6 pm! I have a Samsung wireless charger on my night stand so I wake up to a full charge every day, there no reason behind this. Edit ,battery usage is showing my screen is using most of my battery at 46% but it's on a very dim setting.

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around
Thanks Psre08 for nice information.

Anyone else have poor cell reception since the "upgrade" to marshmallow?  I used to have one dead spot in the house where reception was spotty now pretty much all of downstairs is useless.  I have to be upstairs to get more than 1 bar and most of the time the phone goes into Emergency Calls Only.  Frustraiting to say the least. 

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

@bssdfsasd wrote:

Anyone else have poor cell reception since the "upgrade" to marshmallow?  I used to have one dead spot in the house where reception was spotty now pretty much all of downstairs is useless.  I have to be upstairs to get more than 1 bar and most of the time the phone goes into Emergency Calls Only.  Frustraiting to say the least. 

My reception seems to be fine after update, I don't find it better or worse in the areas that I am using it. What you can 'try' is reach out to tech support and ask them to perform a carrier setting reset to see if it helps.

Also, take out your sim card, blow off the dust on it and put it back in. My Wife's Note 5 had similiar issue where all of a sudden her phone goes into emergency mode. For some reason reseating the Sim card seemed to have helped so far.

psre08
I plan to stick around
My pleasure. And don't worry about screen on time. It's a useless statistic. The main culprit will be what apps are running in the background. If you have things like Facebook, WhatsApp, messenger, hangouts, Instagram etc all running with notifications enabled that will kill your battery.

The only way to get good life on these phones or any phone is to manage all your apps. For example, games requiring a network connection are nipping away at your battery even when you're not playing. Those background services need to be turned off. Doze certainly helps with that but isn't aggressive enough.

For me a typical day is off the charger at 7 or 8 am and on the charger around 11 pm with anywhere between 30-40% battery left. As of now I'm at 69% with Bluetooth on permanently. I do not use power saving mode so I could get much better. Screen brightness is the lowest setting on adaptive.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

@soundwave80 wrote:
Same thing with me. My battery used to last until around 10 pm then I would charge it to make it the rest of the night. Now I am completely drained by 6 pm! I have a Samsung wireless charger on my night stand so I wake up to a full charge every day, there no reason behind this. Edit ,battery usage is showing my screen is using most of my battery at 46% but it's on a very dim setting.

Yeah this is exactly what I am experiencing. The Screen and Android OS are the top 2 battery drain. I am also using power save mode, screen dim, but yet I still feel like it is draining faster than previously on Lollipop Android 5.1.1. I've reset my cache partition ( made no difference ), re-added all my email accounts ( as I saw some accounts with Sync errors ), this helped a little bit but overall I still cannot identify what is draining the battery the most in the Android OS. Installed a bunch of battery apps trying to locate the process that is draining the battery from Android OS itself but haven't been successful. Hopefully someone gets lucky and find out and can share with the rest of us.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I've went all out and did a complete reset, no change for me. I have no games ,all pre-installed apps are disabled and yet phone is still draing like crazy.yesterday I had 6 % as of 5:45 I put the phone down and drove home about 25 mins and when I got home it was dead! I received no text messages during that time and data was turned off!

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

@soundwave80 wrote:
I've went all out and did a complete reset, no change for me. I have no games ,all pre-installed apps are disabled and yet phone is still draing like crazy.yesterday I had 6 % as of 5:45 I put the phone down and drove home about 25 mins and when I got home it was dead! I received no text messages during that time and data was turned off!

I was going to do this soon, thanks for confirming it doesn't work.

Did you reset your cache partition btw? turn off the phone, hold the home button, volume up, and power button at the same time. Let go of the power button once you see the screen ( keeping other 2 held down ). Use the Volume up/down to navigate, push the power button at reset cache partition, then reboot your phone ( don't mess with the other options though ). 

Also install GSam battery monitoring and see what else is draining, or is it just also showing Android OS as the main culprit?

donaldsnow
I plan to stick around
It's been 4 days now and still no update

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
Yes I wiped the cache partition, and just screen and Android OS is the problem.ive installed greenify but no help from that so I Uninstalled it.

psre08
I plan to stick around
Do you guys have "Ok google" enabled without knowing it. That is a serious battery hog which could explain that kind of drain as OK google would be included under Android system. Check in Google Now settings under "voice". That solved a friend's battery issues on a Telus Note 5.