cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

mmostafaei
I plan to stick around

Any idea when this update will be released? Telus and Bell have already announced it. Telus is releasing it on 13th. What about Rogers?

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Marshmallow

It's possible to change the preset carrier of your phone without rooting. Just takes some dialer commands. I had to do it before since my note 5 is originally a Wind phone and wind disables LTE so I could only get 3G when I switched to Fido. Had to change my preset config to Rogers to get LTE connectivity. So if you guys want, you could probably Google how to do it. This will factory reset your phone though and you'll get the bloatware of the new carrier instead (I now have all these rogers and nhl apps while Wind barely had any bloatware). But you'll get access to the new carrier's OTA updates instead of Roger's.

Edit: it's called changing your CSC code. You could search for the dialer commands or there's an app that does it for you too. If you're worried about warranty, changing my phone carrier brand from Wind to Rogers didn't void mine. But some sites do warn that it could.

skip501
I plan to stick around

I have also sent an email to the Ombudsman:

"Dear Sir/Madame,

I am writing to you with regards to Roger’s handling of the Marshmallow update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. As you may already be aware, since other members of Rogers Community Forums have already complained to you, the Marshmallow update for the Galaxy Note 5 was scheduled for April 27th, and now the update has mysteriously disappeared. I contacted support and they say “no information is available”. This response is disrespectful to your customers. We deserve better. We deserve a committed date for this update.

As you may also be aware, Bell and Telus released the Marshmallow update for the Samsung Note 5 in March. Rogers history of not providing timely updates is legendary, in a bad way. Again, Rogers performance here is disrespectful to its customers.

I use my device for business and the security patch level is November 2015. Security patches are supposed to arrive monthly. Rogers is leaving its clients in a potentially compromised position by not providing timely security updates (this is actually much more important than the Marshmallow update itself).

As a customer with several Roger’s products and an above average RPU, I am formally asking Rogers, through you, for a better answer than “no information is available”. Clearly there is information available, and Rogers needs to start respecting its customers.

I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I eagerly await your prompt reply.

Thank you."

Let's all flood the Ombudsman's office with emails about this: ombudsman@rci.rogers.com. I will also be taking this to Twitter. Collectively, we can make a difference if we are targeted and relentless.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @SFShakeel

Incorrect. Once you unlock the device it because unlocked and thus any carrier settings that appear on the device, will get the update straight from them. I have unlocked many devices and have updated them from the carriers I have had them with.

mmostafaei
I plan to stick around
Hey guys,

Thanks for emailing Ombudsman's office. I am so fed up with this. I called Telus and they offered a better plan for me through my company. I lose international texting and picture messaging, but i will get:

1) ability to get phone at discounted price
2) 1 gb more data
3) $10 cheaper.

Onlything i lose is rogers one which i can live with. As soon as my contract is over (couple of months), will go to Telus

Jmfva
I plan to stick around

nice, I might give them a call.

Only thing keeping me with rogers is my old government plan.

5GB data, unlimited text, and some long distance for $50 /Month.

I have the S5, Telus is scheduled to get their update today and rogers has said nothing about it at all, there is not even a coming soon on the updates board.

So frustrating.

shomilsaini
I plan to stick around
I mailed the ombudsman today as well. I await a prompt response. Let see how they justify the delay.

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Per RogersDarrell's post last week, we know everyone is eagerly anticipating Marshmallow on the Note 5.  I understand your frustration and would like to encourage you to continue posting your feedback in the community.  We read every post and send your feedback to the appropriate folks within the company.  We'll continue to update the OS upgrade page and we'll notify you of the launch date as soon as we can in this thread.  

~RogersMargaret

Hi 

skip501
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your reply, which is appreciated. However, it does not address the real problem here. The real problem is that your customers are paying good money for flagship products, like the Galaxy Note 5. With this comes a responsibility for Rogers to act in good faith and provide timely OS and security patch updates; the Rogers track record here, quite honestly, stinks. This abdication of Rogers responsibility to its customer is going to come to a head. If Rogers truly cares about the experience of its customer, it is time to put the big boy/girl pants on and do the right thing. Give us our 7 month overdue Android update...now.

psre08
I plan to stick around
Yes it's really sad that in some parts of the world the Note 4 is already on Marshmallow. It boggles the mind how slow Rogers can be. For all Mr Laurence's talk of improving customer service it's clear that this is an area that's been utterly ignored. Way to go.

skip501
I plan to stick around

I'd love an opportunity to reply and support your argument...

I notice that Telus has released Marshmallow for the 2 plus year old Galaxy S5. This situation with the Note 5 is a complete embarrassment for Rogers.

So true!!

JustinN
I've been around

I have to say, this is getting to be really embarrassing on Rogers' part. All other major Canadian carriers have sent out their Marshmallow updates for the Note 5 weeks ago. Some have even sent out Marshmallow updates to even older devices like the Galaxy S5.

Rogers likes to flaunt about how great their customer service is, but yet they haven't even released the Note 5's Marshmallow update. Sounds like poor customer service to me. Rogers should be embarrassed.

I can appreciate late updates if the reason is to "fix" broken issues, but 7 months since the update was released is just not acceptible, especially when there is no transparency with the carrier. Going from April 27th to coming soon on your OS Upgrade page is horrible customer service when there is no reasonable explanation for it.

For such a large and powerful company, it sure does lack tremendously in customer service.  Remember, "if you don't take care of your customers, someone else will!"

skip501
I plan to stick around

I wanted to update this group on my discussion with the Office of the President, which came about after emailing the Ombudsman.

The preson I spoke to was excellent with respect to knowledge of issue and I did feel empathy for our frustration. I did leave the conversation believing that the Note 5 update is a priority and Rogers is working on it. Unfortunately, she was not able to provide a reason or any type of timeline. Sigh.

As always, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. Let's hope that the wait from here is a short one.

We should keep the discussion in this thread going because the Office of the President rep was clear that all of our posts are read and are treated with importance. We should continue to express our concerns so that Rogers is aware of just how many of us are relying on this update.

Has anyone else been able to discuss the Note 5 update with the Office of the President?

Bullseye
I've been here awhile

I was in a Rogers store replacing a modem and asked the guy if he heard any news on the delay for the 6.0 marshmallow update for the Note 5.  I was told Rogers is trying to work out the compatibility with the new VR.  Ok I know I will not nor have any interest in the VR goggles so if this is the hold up, how many are you really expecting to sell?  Now if I was given it I might try it the one time and shelf it.  So my kids LG G3 has the update now over a month on a two year old flagship device.   Yet Samsung and the Note 5 one of the higher end devices is still waiting with Rogers.  Not very customer oriented on delaying when your competitors are 3-4 weeks ahead of you.  Suttle changes to the OS from what I see on the LG units but if all the hype of better signals and more security is coming for the Note 5, I would assume and expect the day or the week Samsung and Google introduce the OS the customers should have it.

NO MORE DELAYS for a unwanted, VR compatibility test.

Malek777
I plan to stick around
That's not true, the update for the vr compatibility has been pushed out long time ago and has nothing to do with marshmallow.

Bullseye
I've been here awhile
Just sharing what an OFFICIAL rogers employee is telling their customers. True or not I cannot confirm.

skip501
I plan to stick around
And to add insult to injury, Telus and Bell released marshmallow for the Sony Z2. So, their customers get the latest OS on a 3 year old device and us Rogers Note 5 (August 2015) customers just keep getting the shaft. Nice.

Based on my conversation with the office of the president earlier today, I'm am trying to stay calm and trust that Rogers is doing everything they can to get it out to us, but I have to say my frustration may get the better of me.

There needs to be some kind of communication about the update tomorrow if Rogers is interested in keeping my business.

Jmfva
I plan to stick around

Yeah, this lack of communication is unprofessional and avoidable. I will be taking my business elsewhere when I can get a decent government deal. Time to check some other plans.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
I wonder if Rogers will do us the courtesy of releasing a security update ? I find it very unlikely we will see marshmallow before June.

skip501
I plan to stick around

The Office of the President confirmed with me that Rogers and Samsung have both signed up for Google's monthly patch program. The fact that our Note 5's are still stuck on the November patch is outrageous and make's Roger's commitment to monthly patching look like lip service only. Come on Roger's our phones are at risk...at least give us the security update on our Note 5s immediately as we continue to wait a ridiculously long time for Marshmallow on the Note 5.