cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATUS text to 9116

McMommy
I've been here awhile

I have a Samsung S7. Since upgrading to Marshmallow, the phone has been sending texts to 9116 with STATUS as the message. Online searching suggested it was a Visual Voicemail App issue on Kitkat phones, but I don't have Kitkat, and can't find that app on my phone.... so any thoughts on what this is and how the heck to stop it? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: STATUS text to 9116

RogersMaude

Good evening @McMommy,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums & Thanks for your post!

This issue issue is normally linked to the Visual Voicemail + application.

Although you may be under the impression that it is nowhere to be found in your cellphone device, it might have been installed from a backup previously saved.

In order to find it, you would have to access the Applications Manager, from the Settings menu. Then, select the ALL tab and once you can identify the app, uninstall it from there. It usually solves the issue.

If you still cannot find it or are still experiencing the issue after deleting it, I'd suggest a factory reset.

It generally resolves glitches such as this one, after a system update. Don't forget to back up the content that is in your actual device before doing so.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersMaude

Good evening @McMommy,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums & Thanks for your post!

This issue issue is normally linked to the Visual Voicemail + application.

Although you may be under the impression that it is nowhere to be found in your cellphone device, it might have been installed from a backup previously saved.

In order to find it, you would have to access the Applications Manager, from the Settings menu. Then, select the ALL tab and once you can identify the app, uninstall it from there. It usually solves the issue.

If you still cannot find it or are still experiencing the issue after deleting it, I'd suggest a factory reset.

It generally resolves glitches such as this one, after a system update. Don't forget to back up the content that is in your actual device before doing so.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance!

RogersMaude

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

@McMommy

A STATUS text to 9116 is perfectly normal.

It is an authentication text for messaging applications. It ensures it has your current number within the application, so other can find you with your number. With older phones and iPhones, generally you'll have to get a code via text, and enter it in, but since recent Android updates, apps are able to authentic by themselves, saving you a step of copy/pasting.

Was it perhaps a Google app you had just installed, like Duo or Allo, those are two I know that use the 9116 to authentic, but there are others.

Hope that helps -- there is no reason for concern.

McMommy
I've been here awhile
That seems to have solved it, thank you! No idea where that app came from, but it's gone now and so are the messages.

You are very welcome @McMommy!

Glad to know your issue is resolved Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

Mya1
I've been around

How do you eliminate the Status 9116 text on an LG G6 phone

Hello @Mya1,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post Robot Happy!

Have you tried to follow the steps listed in RogersMaude's post here?

Please let us know if the above listed steps work for you!

RogersZia

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation