cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG GALAXY 4 CLIENT AUTHENTICATION CERTIFICATE ERROR

ironside1
I plan to stick around

My wife has new tablet on first trip in South America. Worked fine at home in Ontario with home and other Wi-Fi networks. In Miami and Santiago hotel got "client authentication certificate" error. Rogers and Samsung Support chat did not help and she cannot connect to internet to download Samsung program to backup to fulfil option of doing a "reset". Without backup she will loose all data, addresses and internet/email settings if does reset!

Any one have any ideas that she could try?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers

Edward Blake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY 4 CLIENT AUTHENTICATION CERTIFICATE ERROR

ironside1
I plan to stick around

My wife returned and I now have the tablet. It did not work at Pearson, Miami, Santiago and Costa Rica Wi-Fi locations. Everybody elses tablets and Cell phones worked at these locations. It is not the WI-FI provider! It works at home! The specific error is "36-3 SSL-CONNECTION ERROR this is a server problem requiring client authentication certificate you don't have". I contacted Samsung and spoke to 3 agents including a supervisor. None of them were familiar with the problem, suggested ridiculous solutions and finally said a RESET was the only choice. They could not tell me how to test the Tablet after the reset besides saying wait till your next trip!

I have had to reset my DELL PC WINDOWS 10 after the backup did not work and it took days to recover all the apps. I was about to take the tablet back to the store and decided to check the wireless set-upthat was done automatically by the Samsung. At the settins tab I noticed for both incoming and outgoing there was a choice for the SECURITY TYPE. NONE,SSL, SSL (accept all certificates),TLS, TLS (accept all certificates). Mine was set to SSL I am gong to set it to SSL (accept all certificates)!!!!!!

There is nothing in the manual about this and none of the agents mentioned this!!! You have to click on the account setting to bring it up in the email program! I have written Samsung about this and hope someone who knows what they are doing will confirm my suspicion before I go on a trip -the reason we bought the tablet. If you Google this error you get some conversations about SSL errors on other programs, usually mentioning the need to change to the local time zone but nothing specific to Samsung.

I am ex programmer from the 60's trained by UNIVAC. Most training was self taught by step by step manuals that explained every detail logically. Modern PC's are a love/hate relationship for me and basically a hate relationship for my wife. We utilize them extensively for banking, investing, writing, communication etc etc. One major problem is the complexity of applications, the learning curve and most of all the poor manuals and support. You quickly learn that 50% (100% on Facebook) of support agents don't know their jobs or worse give you the wrong answers. You learn to simply hang up and call back hoping to get one of the 50% that are well trained. Rogers has been suffering for years with this! Some Rogers agents and managers are though excellent and I thank them for this site and the good calls I have had. I await Samsung to see what they come up with. I have given up on Microsoft "Windows Live Mail 2012" and "Backup and Restore". Both programs are full of unresolved bugs that no support person can explain or fix. We work around them!

Enough complaints and back to some enjoyable experiences. Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @ironside1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

I can totally understand your dilemma, I've see something like this before where you're simply trying to access the Internet from a hotels Wi-Fi offered to their guest. Normally what should happen is you would receive the normal Wi-Fi password box for authentication. Once that's passed and your tablet shows connected, when you launch the browser or try to access emails, you should see the hotels login page which may prompt you to agree to the terms and conditions, with the optional login page to complete the hotels authentication process. So far this all points to the hotels authentication certificate and has nothing to do with Rogers or Samsung, so there is definitely no need to back-up and reset the tablet. As far as troubleshooting, I would suggest you to first test the tablet at a local coffee shop in the area, or test the hotels Wi-Fi from a smartphone before going any further with having the hotel look into the authentication certificate error. 

Hopes this helps,

RogerArthur

ironside1
I plan to stick around

Thanks RogerArthur I will email your info to my wife, her cabin mate has a working tablet. They are now off the coast of Chile on the way to San Francisco (ship's Wi-Fi). She was so looking forward to her new tablet and ability to keep in touch on a 4 week "bridge" cruise. I will post the result.

Cheers 

Edward Blake

You're welcome @ironside1.Smiley Happy Look forward to knowing what happens,

RogersArthur

ironside1
I plan to stick around

My wife returned and I now have the tablet. It did not work at Pearson, Miami, Santiago and Costa Rica Wi-Fi locations. Everybody elses tablets and Cell phones worked at these locations. It is not the WI-FI provider! It works at home! The specific error is "36-3 SSL-CONNECTION ERROR this is a server problem requiring client authentication certificate you don't have". I contacted Samsung and spoke to 3 agents including a supervisor. None of them were familiar with the problem, suggested ridiculous solutions and finally said a RESET was the only choice. They could not tell me how to test the Tablet after the reset besides saying wait till your next trip!

I have had to reset my DELL PC WINDOWS 10 after the backup did not work and it took days to recover all the apps. I was about to take the tablet back to the store and decided to check the wireless set-upthat was done automatically by the Samsung. At the settins tab I noticed for both incoming and outgoing there was a choice for the SECURITY TYPE. NONE,SSL, SSL (accept all certificates),TLS, TLS (accept all certificates). Mine was set to SSL I am gong to set it to SSL (accept all certificates)!!!!!!

There is nothing in the manual about this and none of the agents mentioned this!!! You have to click on the account setting to bring it up in the email program! I have written Samsung about this and hope someone who knows what they are doing will confirm my suspicion before I go on a trip -the reason we bought the tablet. If you Google this error you get some conversations about SSL errors on other programs, usually mentioning the need to change to the local time zone but nothing specific to Samsung.

I am ex programmer from the 60's trained by UNIVAC. Most training was self taught by step by step manuals that explained every detail logically. Modern PC's are a love/hate relationship for me and basically a hate relationship for my wife. We utilize them extensively for banking, investing, writing, communication etc etc. One major problem is the complexity of applications, the learning curve and most of all the poor manuals and support. You quickly learn that 50% (100% on Facebook) of support agents don't know their jobs or worse give you the wrong answers. You learn to simply hang up and call back hoping to get one of the 50% that are well trained. Rogers has been suffering for years with this! Some Rogers agents and managers are though excellent and I thank them for this site and the good calls I have had. I await Samsung to see what they come up with. I have given up on Microsoft "Windows Live Mail 2012" and "Backup and Restore". Both programs are full of unresolved bugs that no support person can explain or fix. We work around them!

Enough complaints and back to some enjoyable experiences. Cheers!

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation