S5 - Can't copy to MicroSD via USB

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

S5 - Can't copy to MicroSD via USB

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 running Android Lollipop 5.1.1. It has a Kingston 64 gig MicroSD XC 10/64GB card in its card slot formatted as exFAT.

Unfortunately, I can't copy to the SD card via USB. The phone mounts as a drive letter fine, but whenever I start a file transfer to the SD card the copy fails with the Windows error "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

I have tried with multiple PCs running both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I've tried several different cables, including the white Samsung cable that comes with the phone.

The only way I can get files onto the card is to remove it from the phone, put it into a slot in a PC and copy to it that way.

Needless to say this is a pain - The case is already starting to crack from me popping it on and off.

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: S5 - Can't copy to MicroSD via USB

Problem solved!

Here's what I did to solve my problem -

1) Took the card out of my phone and put it in my PC

2) Backed up the card

3) Downloaded Rufus

4) Opened RUFUS and reformatted the card with a 'quick format.'  Selected large FAT32, unchecked create bootable disk & unchecked create extended labels.

5) Copied my files back onto the card

6) Put the card back in the phone.

I can now copy files with no error messages!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@MisterClever,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for sharing your solution with the Community! I'm sure other users will find this information handy.

Cheers!

@RogersGabrielle

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Great tip @MisterClever !