cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 Ultra Unable to Connect to 5G

Farshaddarvidh
I've been here awhile

I got a s20 5G in the network setting it is on 5G I have the infinite plan with 5G and the newest Sim to support 5G but the network still shows lte+ only Rogers blames Samsung and Samsung said its working and its carrier issue. Do I just have a 5G phone that is actually lte+ running only.

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: S20 Ultra Unable to Connect to 5G

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hi Farshaddarvidh,

Have you actually looked at the 5G coverage map on Rogers? yes they have 5G but just because they have it does not mean its broadcast everywhere

have a look at toronto for example, the 5g coverage map looks like Swiss cheese so its possible your in a city where no 5g exists or if you are in a big city that has 5g, you may be in a part of the city that has not had 5g deployed to your area yet. hope this helps.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
oh and by the way, rogers should NOT be blaming samsung, if the rep was good at their job, they should have checked the coverage map on their system and check your home location to tell you if your area is 5g or not, a lazy agent would probably just want to get you off the phone and blame it on the mfgr. hope this helps

Farshaddarvidh
I've been here awhile
Yes I have in downtown Toronto my postal code does have 5G, the M4M postal code is 5G ready.

radio signals do not always follow geographic boundaries. so definately you may get 5g in some parts of your neighbourhood and 4g in others. its just like how some radio stations come in clear in one part of your home and staticy in another part.

Farshaddarvidh
I've been here awhile
Yes I understand that but should that only be if you're stationary if you're moving through out downtown shouldn't you be able to pick that up?

Hey @Farshaddarvidh,

There's definitely quite a bit of interest surrounding the rollout of 5G service! I'd just like to help clarify a few things. 😊

What is 5G? As they evolve, 5G networks will allow us to stream, download and upload massive amounts of data at unprecedented speeds. And with the capacity to link together billions of devices, 5G will connect us not only with our loved ones but to our homes, machines, cars, businesses, and communities in ways we can only imagine! Today, 5G speeds are comparable to our fastest 4G LTE experience and will continue to get faster over time.

At present, 5G access is included with Rogers Infinite plans at no extra charge until March 2021. 5G access should be available to those who: have a 5G phone, a Rogers Infinite plan, and are in an area with 5G coverage. 

If you meet the above-noted requirements and are still unable to connect to the 5G network, this could be because:

• Your device is connecting to an HSPA+ or 4G LTE network, as that network’s signal is stronger
  • You’re in an Extended Coverage area
  • You’re roaming outside of Canada
  • You’re using a Samsung 5G device from another wireless provider. NOTE: If the device was activated by Fido, Chatr, or Tbaytel please contact Rogers Technical Support. If another Canadian telecom operator activated the phone you will need to contact Samsung directly.

You may also CLICK HERE to view some more FAQs about 5G on the Rogers Network.

Thanks!

RogersLaura

Hi All,

I bought an S20+ unlocked directly from Samsung Canada back in March or so. I first activated it on Telus but then moved to Rogers soon after to take advantage of 5G.

Unfortunately, I have never once connected to 5G since I got the phone. I live in downtown Vancouver and travel all over the lower mainland but still nothing. Never once seen the 5G symbol ever despite having it on in my connections.

Has this happened to anyone else? Multiple chats with Rogers and Samsung support have not helped and I've seemingly tried everything.

The 5G setting is turned on under Network Mode, I have 5G with my plan, and I have a new SIM card, so I'm really not sure what the issue could be.

The most recent Rogers tech support rep said they'd start a case with the network tech support department but I don't think that's the issue - it seems like something is wrong with the phone...

Thanks!

Chris

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @cg21!

I think it's pretty reasonable to think that if your phone, plan and sim card are all 5G capable that you'd be able to connect for sure. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with that. I am glad to hear though that this has been escalated. Regarding your concern that it may be a phone specific issue, have you spoken to Samsung support regarding this matter? If that's the case they may be able to speak to your experience and offer some insight.

Keep us posted for sure.

@RogersAndy

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor
Have you reset the device since switching from Telus?
If the device is still showing a Telus CSC (TLS), you won't get the Rogers device specific features (VoLTE, Wifi Calling, 5G).

You will need to change your CSC to Rogers (or do a factory reset with the Rogers SIM in).

Try this - Go to "Settings" then "About phone". Write down your IMEI Number. Open dialer and enter *#272*IMEInumber# (In the thread replace IMEInumber with your actual IMEI Number). Press dial, you should see a screen with the list of available CSC codes for your device. Select the CSC for Rogers and tap the Install option. This method works on the S10, it should work on the S20 as well.

I don't think this will factory reset your device, but BACK EVERYTHING UP FIRST just in case.

This fixed it for me! It didn't cause a factory reset. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to using the 5g network!

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor
Awesome! Glad I could help.

TCHWRX
I've been here awhile
I tried the *#272*IMEI# and I get "UNKNOWN APPLICATION".
Anyone got a resolution to this?
Rogers claim that my factory unlocked Samsung S21 Ultra 5G is not compatible with their network but that is not true. Samsung has confirmed to me that the S21 Ultra 5G is identical in North America. Samsung does NOT sell a US or Canadian specific model. My phone will NOT connect to 5G and I am sure that it is because someone at Rogers need to "Approve" my phone for their network but they would of course rather I buy a new phone from them than approve my own phone.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

what is the actual model number of your device? it usually starts with SM-xxxx

samsung makes different models for different parts of the world and  the different frequencies they use, in order for the best coverage you should buy the one with the correct frequencies for north america / canada

TCHWRX
I've been here awhile

The issue is that Rogers do not connect you to 5G unless you have bought the phone from Rogers. They wont even help you. I bought a US based S21 Ultra 5G and it would not connect to their 5G network, not matter what I tried. The solution I found was to update the firmware on the phone to the Rogers specific firmware, and then the phone connected to 5G. Same phone, same frequencies. The Rogers tech team even claimed that the US phone would/could not connect because if uses different frequencies. 

So, update your firmware to the Roger firmware, and the issue is resolved.

Have in mind as well, then if you did not buy the phone from Rogers, then roaming on ATT in the US wont work either, because Rogers only want to support phones they sell, and the IMEI is not in their database and therefore not shared with ATT.

You can find the firmware here: (3rd party link removed - RogersMoin)

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 in conversation