Rogers Wireless Data drops idle connections too early, negatively impacting GCM

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Wireless Data drops idle connections too early, negatively impacting GCM

GCM is Google Cloud Messaging, and Android is heavily dependent on it. That's how you get instant push notifications on your smartphone from your various apps; without it, a smartphone isn't very smart.

For GCM to work properly, it has to keep certain ports open (even if idle). I don't believe Rogers Wireless (mobile data/LTE) is keeping those ports long enough for GCM to work properly; from what I've seen, Rogers is closing those ports EARLY (due to idling?). Therefore, in order for notifications to be timely received on your Android phone (if on a Rogers Wireless data connection), you'll need to use a 3rd-party app to force the connection to stay active.

Such as an app like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer.noroot&hl=en

According to Google's GCM specifications, the data provider (Rogers Wireless in this case) needs to keep the GCM port/connection open for at least 28 minutes. That's because Android sends a default "heartbeat" every 28 minutes. But based on my investigation, I need to use a 3rd party app and force the heartbeat every 5-10 minutes! Otherwise, my push notifications are delayed.

What I want to know is: Is Rogers aware of this problem, and do you have any plans to address it? This negatively impacts the customer experience of ALL Android smartphone users.

***EDITED LABELS***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Rogers Wireless Data drops idle connections too early, negatively impacting GCM

Hello @Jay_AndroidFan!

It's really clear you're passionate about this issue. Thank you for bringing us such detailed feedback 🙂 

I personally haven't heard of this particular issue before. I wouldn't say I've ever had a direct complaint about delayed pushed notifications.

Perhaps there are other users on the forum that have noticed this issue on their Android devices and would like to weigh in? If we have multiple examples of this issue occuring, we would be able to generate a case to have it investigated. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Wireless Data drops idle connections too early, negatively impacting GCM

the problem extends to simply being able to receive phone calls. I have 2 pixle XLs, and both have intermittent call in failures. This is a known problem. I adjusted my phone settings and oddly telling my phone to accept sip calls, caused both phones to work.... Maybe because the problem is intermittent, it will stop working again.
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @DanWhite1001

Welcome to the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you initiated to resolve the issue. Thanks for posting and letting the Community know of your experience.

Keep us updated on your devices.

RogersPrasana