Rogers Wifi Calling for Android Phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers Wifi Calling for Android Phones

Hello everyone,

I am wondering, is there a way for Rogers to make available the wifi calling apk and all the necessary library files to get UMA (Wifi calling) working on our android phones just like the EVO 3D and all the Blackberries.

Reason I ask is i get terrible reception in my area and so do all my neighbours. I have asked about 12 households between two streets and everyone that has a Rogers phone, has poor reception. On the other hand, Telus is solid in my area. It would make sense for Rogers to begin to cover these gaps by allowing WiFi calling on all our phones.

Not only does it offload the phones from the towers, but it saves rogers money in the end by routing everything through our own Wifi connections. Rogers has to start doing this as majority of the households i spoke with are very dissapointed with Rogers coverage and regret their purchase.

So how about it?

******* Edit labels ********

Retired Moderator Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Wifi Calling for Android Phones

Hi DenDen2008,

Which android device are you using?

Rogers_Kate

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I would like to see this as well. Rogers is dropping the ball on this feature. New phones with new hardware should be able to support this.
I'm Here A Lot

I do notice that my reception at home is not that great also. Be awesome if I can get wifi calling on my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE device

I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you signup for Rogers One Number there are some cool ways to do some of what you want.

For example you can set it up to ring both your Cell phone and your home phone at the same time. (Find me Rules)  So when calls come into your cell phone you can answer on your home phone.  This would mean a great connection AND save on minutes.

You can also use your PC to receive and make calls (using your home internet).   

I use this during the day at my desk.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes but Wifi calling is a bit better to be honest. You do not need a computer nor need to download anything. You just need to ask Rogers to add it on the package. This is why its better

Also read on the forums how many people are having issues with the Rogers One number. Wifi calling you barely have any issue just with wifi.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I prefer wi-fi calling too.

i dont really care about using my minutes, i have unlimited anyway, so using it over wifi calling will benefit me greatly, dont have to wait for computer to bout up, no extra programs needed, and its crystal clear

I'm a Reliable Contributor

OK, I understand, however for the "Ring My Numbers" does not have to wait for a computer to boot up.  If I had low signal at my home, I would prefer to set all incoming calls to ring my home and cell.  I would then be able to answer either.  Not the same as forwarding, or using your computer.  Simultaneous ring is very cool. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BuckMacklin wrote:

OK, I understand, however for the "Ring My Numbers" does not have to wait for a computer to boot up.  If I had low signal at my home, I would prefer to set all incoming calls to ring my home and cell.  I would then be able to answer either.  Not the same as forwarding, or using your computer.  Simultaneous ring is very cool.  

Not to be rude, but I don't think you do understand. Ring My Numbers has nothing to do with Wifi Calling. It's becomming more and more popular that homes do not have a "home" phone, so what you propose wouldn't be an option.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ring my number (follow me) is indeed a great feature, but the above poster is correct, it is useless to me, i do not have a landline at my new place, strictly mobile.   i do have wifi internet and it will allow me to use the cellphone in the basement where there is no gsm/3g cellular signal i can still be able to make calls.

so it is a personal preference...   and it works for me.