cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

Dx9
I'm a reliable contributor

Like honestly you should be updating the security of the Samsung line of phones especially when you have already received the patch. This goes for the Note 5, Galaxy S6, and Edge. Google releases these each month. Samsung has stated they want to push out these monthly system updates. Always the carriers have to be involved? In the US they are getting security system updates for the Galaxy line. Do some good for your customers and keep their system up to date with security like Apple does for iPhone. You have the system update from Samsung so start updating your customers system.

***Edited Labels***

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

Jmfva
I plan to stick around
I agree, if I didn't had a grandfathered gov contract with them I would have switched a while ago. Telus seems to be actually updating their marshmallow updates page...

davidhowellca
I've been here awhile

@estret wrote:

Yes  I did the same and flashed the telus version of the Marshmellow update, in doing so have also made a decision to leave Rogers when my contract is up (this time next year)

I think the CEO is mistaken in thinking that customer service has improved, as this situation is proof that Rogers continues to ignore it's customers.  

Agreed. When my contract is finished, I'll be switching over to another provider. I have a multitude of services through Rogers and I'll be cancelling everything. I don't think they'll really care though. 

I'll turn a blind eye to some of their questionable practices however when it comes to not releasing security patches and then Rogers employees explicitly and publicly lying about not having received the patches, well, that just goes too far.

Rogers, you need to govern yourselves accordingly. 

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around

Hummm! I like to hear comment from Rogers community helper team !!! Please dont make any excuse.

davidhowellca
I've been here awhile

So...Samsung has now released their Security Patches for May.

http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html#SMR-MAY-2016

Where are those updates? Hmm? Still no Marshmellow from Rogers. Still no security patches from Rogers. Rogers hasnt released a security patch since November of 2015.

Fortunately for myself, I installed the Telus release of Marshmellow that included the April security patches. Rogers? Where are you on this? Not that anyone at Rogers cares, however you are leaving everyones phones vulnerable to exploits.

Dx9
I'm resurrecting an old thread. I said I'd never buy a carrier branded phone again due to this issue with the lack of security patches. I guess I lied since I now have a S7 Edge.

This is pretty basic stuff. Is there a reason why Rogers can't follow suit and send out monthly updates like US carriers for Security Patches? Many US carriers have the Sept patch whereas the S7 has the July patch still. The patch is compiled for you and ready to be sent out. I know this for an fact. Everything is ready. Rogers seems to neglect this and there is absolutely no reason to hold back monthly Security Patches from Samsung. Please get it together.

Slayerizer
I've been around

the point that most people don't get is, as stated by Darell, Rogers will release only GMR and EMR. If you see the monthly patches coming out of Samsung, don't ever hope to have them, you won't.

If it's an emergency patch, you will have it. If it's a GMR (like Marshmallow update, Nougat), you will have it and that's it.

Yeah it sucks. I don't like it. THEY SHOULD release EVERY PATCHES but they don't. Several patches are critical and we don't get them. Only Nexus & iOS devices have them. 

I have a Note 4, thinking to go back to iOS, even if I want a Note7 as a protestation against that.

Galtabs2
I've been here awhile

Samsung galaxy tab s2 security updates

The last updates was in July,  when can we expect updates? 

jmatteis
I plan to stick around
According to the update schedule there was supposed to be a big fix and security update 2 days ago, at least for my s7, which still hasn't happened. I'm waiting on it hoping it'll fix issues I have rather than sending this pos back to Samsung.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @jmatteis

Different devices that the poster above u is asking for. It will come 🙂

jmatteis
I plan to stick around
I know it will come. When is the question. 5 days after release and nothing. Further proof that people should buy non carrier locked phones and pay outright. Better support. I'm only waiting as I'm hoping to save Samsung and Rogers some headaches in avoiding amd rma. Otherwise this is going back and will continue to until I am satisfied the problems are solved.

jmatteis
I plan to stick around

28 days post release and still no update and my S7 is still buggy.  Guess is goes back to Rogers for them to assess and if it doesn't do what it's doing for me, while it's there, it comes back to me, still defective... 10 days no device, my local store has no loaners...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @jmatties

Honestly I do not know. Maybe a factory reset will bring up the update. Sadly there is no other way to push the update out

Dx9

Nice see Rogers and Samsung pushing out security updates lately. Install took literally 2 min from download to reboot.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dx9

I am also glad that Rogers has been sending out security updates alongside Samsung to update our security update!

Dx9
New update out for the S8/S8+ this morning. Navigation Bar stuff and new Security update.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dx9

Thats correct! Just got the update but won't do the update as I am in Niagara falls with the family and will do it when I get back home 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hey guys!

I did the update either way in the hotel. It seems that Samsung removed the option to have color navigation bar and only shows white, bright and a little dark or the color of the theme u have. That's a bummer....

The phone seems a bit faster as well. You get a option to hide the nagivation bar with a little. Circle button on the left hand side when u are using all apps. I haven't check much out other then those.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I updated this morning, I'm very happy Rogers is releasing the updates fast, the US got the update about a week or two ago. Hopefully Rogers keeps up with these fast releases!

thisguyhere
I've been here awhile
Failure to protect our Android Devices

Where are our Android Security fixes? Every Rogers customer I've spoken with today has November's patch as the latest, this is not acceptable. There was an update in December AND obviously a couple of days ago - why are you forcing me to use an exposed device? Why are your agents lying and saying my phone needs a factory reset or warranty claim when I am not the only one with the problem?

I can't push the update from Google or Samsung..it is up to Rogers and I'm being severely let down.

Hello @thisguyhere,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I can certainly appreciate your concern. Our customers security is our top priority. Keep up to date with whats in our pipeline by follow our OS Upgrade Schedule.

Have a good weekend and Happy New Year Robot Happy!

RogersCilio

thisguyhere
I've been here awhile

If it was a priority....it would be updated. Your OS schedule doesn't mean anything - you didn't read my issue.

SECURITY UPDATES are not OS updates.

I will not be happy until this is fixed...you guys are crooks.

Topic Stats