cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

Dx9
I'm a reliable contributor

Like honestly you should be updating the security of the Samsung line of phones especially when you have already received the patch. This goes for the Note 5, Galaxy S6, and Edge. Google releases these each month. Samsung has stated they want to push out these monthly system updates. Always the carriers have to be involved? In the US they are getting security system updates for the Galaxy line. Do some good for your customers and keep their system up to date with security like Apple does for iPhone. You have the system update from Samsung so start updating your customers system.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

@Dx9

Rogers releases all security updates from OEMs once verification has been completed. Once a GMR (General Maintenance Release) or EMR (Emergency Maintenance Release) is ready, you're device with prompt with the OTA download option.

If you're not receiving any prompt and the update is available, its always best to directly connect your device to your computer and manually update.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

RogersMay
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Dx9

Security is top priority at Rogers and we continue to work with all device manufacturers to rollout any security updates as soon as we can.

Thanks,

RogersMay

Dx9
Well it shouldn't have to be posted there. It's common sense. When Samsung sends out the Android Security Patch each month to carriers it should be updated right away. It's not an OS upgrade. It's a System Upgrade. Latest one is Dec 1st. Should be updated right away. Android is open source. Google provides everything. Samsung compiles the update and sends to carriers to send out to Samsung Phones. US carriers already sending out. Hope Rogers does the same asap.

RogersDarrell

@Dx9

Rogers releases all security updates from OEMs once verification has been completed. Once a GMR (General Maintenance Release) or EMR (Emergency Maintenance Release) is ready, you're device with prompt with the OTA download option.

If you're not receiving any prompt and the update is available, its always best to directly connect your device to your computer and manually update.

RogersDarrell

AnonymousUser
I'm a trusted contributor

The problem is it seems Canadian carriers are taking the normal approval process for security updates, while US carriers are expediting the process with their OEMs.

Why is Rogers (and your competitors) sitting on their hands for these critical updates to the end user? Maybe some learnings from your US partners is due here.

This doesn't affect me as I'm using a 6s Plus and a Nexus 6p both purchased directly from Apple and Google, so no skin off my back, but it's frustrating for the rest of the users to have to wait like this.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around
I agree. But I also understand it takes time to work out bugs with these updates but my question is why was Roger's so "gung ho" about getting all Their devices patched from stagefright flaws months ago and now you literally hear nothing about it? It's been almost 6 months, my device doesn't have an update that you Roger's said would finally be released back in September and then nothing.... I know for a fact this update is out for my phone but the question is why hasn't it been released from Roger's OTA or through PC? That's an awfully long time to have something neglected that is so important when you are paying good money to use these devices on the Roger's network. I know this is just a forum but come on Roger's 😞

Dx9
This is exactly why I'll be getting a Nexus next phone or possibly sooner. I'll be buying my phone straight out unlocked and don't need to worry about my carrier again. Love my Note but honestly it is always nice to have sw updates and security updates right from Google and Apple. I mean $699 for a Nexus 6p unlocked and the phone is great from what I've read and even tried it out. Very tempting 🙂

AnonymousUser
I'm a trusted contributor

You won't be disappointed @Dx9, it's by far the best phone out there, regardless of platform.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dx9

The Nexus line has always been great for updates as they come straight from the manufacturer just like Apple devices do. The problem lays on the Canadian carriers take their time to check the updates, make sure they work and then release them.

We all know it takes time to go the best they can to release the updates but it seems to take more time now.

Dx9
Sold the Note 5 today. Offset the entire cost of the Nexus 6p. Now this is an amazing phone. Blazing fast. Now I don't need to worry about Rogers updating my phone. No more carrier branded phones for me. Got 6.0.1 within 5 min of having my phone on.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dx9

Glad to hear you made the switch! Nope all the updates will come straight from Google without Rogers bloatware!

Dx9
Definitely the best device for sure. Have had the iPhone 6S Plus not long ago and then the Note 5. Extremely impressed with the Nexus 6p. Even have 2 friends upgrading to the 6p since its only $49 on a new 2 year through Rogers. Crazy price for a 32GB best Android for sure. Wish there was a 64GB though. I personally don't need the space as all pics are in Photos and all music with Spotify. Still have 22GB leff with all apps installed.

As a member said in this thread its the best phone out there regardless of platform and its so true. For $49 on a new 2 year for the top phone it's a no brainer and you don't have carrier bloat and get updates quick from Google. It's the best win win. Love the 6p

stallen
I plan to stick around

Last year in light of Stagefright, Samsung committed to delivering monthly security updates to some of it's phones.  Specifically the Galaxy S series (S6 edge+, S6, S6 edge, S5), Galaxy Note series (Note 5, Note 4, Note edge) and Galaxy Tab series (Tab S2, Tab S).

According to the Samsung Mobile Security Blog (http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html) there is an monthly update for December that has been released.  My S6 is running the latest Rogers firmware, build number LMY47X.G920W8VLU3BOJ7 and the Android security patch level shows 2015-11-01 which makes it 2 months out of date.  This information can be found in the Settings>About device menu.  

@RogersDarrell, can you please comment on whether Rogers is going to show the same committment level to your customers as Samsung and push the latest Android security patches as they are available in order to protect against mobile device security threats?

Thank you.

Dx9
@stallen, this is exactly why I will not buy another carrier branded phone. There is absolutely no reason Rogers can't update the security system. The patch has been available for some time now. There is no testing needed as the patch is already compiled and ready for release. It's not an OS software upgrade. It consists of about 8MB. I will only stay with a Nexus devices and iOS devices from now on. Liked my Note 5 alot but it's sad how carriers handle OEM Android. Very happy with my Nexus 6p. Best phone ive used. I'll have Feb Security patch first week of Feb from Google. Totally done with skinned Android.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around
@stallen

I feel your frustration regarding this matter, I have been waiting months and months for a security update for my phone aswell, and according to Roger's I should have received a security update (stagefright) patch back in September. It's now over 4 months and nothing. What I do know is the full security update has been released already for my phone by the manufacturer, but it seems as if Roger's has abandoned working on a fix or if they are they sure are taking their time. What is really frustrating is that my device is just over a year old and Roger's is paying more attention to older devices than mine. Security and stability in firmware are so important to me and I feel like this last year has been one big disappointment 😞

I will continue to keep my hopes up but something tells me I won't be getting the "promised security update" that Roger's said it was going to release.

stallen
I plan to stick around

Replying to myself is something I try not to do but I've heard nothing back from @RogersDarrell yet.

Could someone from the Rogers team please reply to my question with a meaningful answer?  @RogersSannecia@RogersArthur@RogersMaude@RogersMargaret

"Can you please comment on whether Rogers is going to show the same committment level to your customers as Samsung and push the latest Android security patches as they are available in order to protect against mobile device security threats?"

Thank you.

RogersDarrell

@stallen

As advised on Post #4 here.

"Rogers releases all security updates from OEMs once verification has been completed. Once a GMR (General Maintenance Release) or EMR (Emergency Maintenance Release) is ready, you're device with prompt with the OTA download option."

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

estret
I've been here awhile

Hi @RogersDarrell  a few questions......since we are almost in April '16, are you suggesting that Rogers has not completed verification on any security update since Nov '15? (my patch level is 11-01-2015).  Also will Rogers ideminify customers for any security breach to my phone if the patch could have prevented it?

thanks in advance

davidhowellca
I've been here awhile

Samsung Security Patches

Aside from us all STILL waiting for Marshmellow, the last security patch that I received on my Galaxy S6 was 2015-11-01. This is absolutely inexcusable.

Rogers is putting our phones and our personal information completely at risk by not pushing out security patches that are released by Samsung. Seriously..what is going on here??? 

Samsung pushes out security patches on a monthly basis. Go here and see the patches that have been released... http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html

So what are we supposed to do? Continue using our devices that are at risk of being comprimised? Does Rogers even care about this?

Well, I just couldnt be bothered to wait for Rogers anymore and their decision to leave our phones and data at risk.

I downloaded the Telus Marshmellow update and applied it to my Galaxy S6. It installed without issues and my phone is running wonderfully with it. Most important though, it has the most current and up to date security patches.

Now I know that I will have to be the one to go to other measures rather than trust that Rogers will keep devices on their network secure.

estret
I've been here awhile

Yes  I did the same and flashed the telus version of the Marshmellow update, in doing so have also made a decision to leave Rogers when my contract is up (this time next year)

I think the CEO is mistaken in thinking that customer service has improved, as this situation is proof that Rogers continues to ignore it's customers.  

Topic Stats