Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

Like honestly you should be updating the security of the Samsung line of phones especially when you have already received the patch. This goes for the Note 5, Galaxy S6, and Edge. Google releases these each month. Samsung has stated they want to push out these monthly system updates. Always the carriers have to be involved? In the US they are getting security system updates for the Galaxy line. Do some good for your customers and keep their system up to date with security like Apple does for iPhone. You have the system update from Samsung so start updating your customers system.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersMay
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Please start updating security Patches on Samsung Devices

@Dx9

Security is top priority at Rogers and we continue to work with all device manufacturers to rollout any security updates as soon as we can.

Thanks,

RogersMay

Well it shouldn't have to be posted there. It's common sense. When Samsung sends out the Android Security Patch each month to carriers it should be updated right away. It's not an OS upgrade. It's a System Upgrade. Latest one is Dec 1st. Should be updated right away. Android is open source. Google provides everything. Samsung compiles the update and sends to carriers to send out to Samsung Phones. US carriers already sending out. Hope Rogers does the same asap.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dx9

Rogers releases all security updates from OEMs once verification has been completed. Once a GMR (General Maintenance Release) or EMR (Emergency Maintenance Release) is ready, you're device with prompt with the OTA download option.

If you're not receiving any prompt and the update is available, its always best to directly connect your device to your computer and manually update.

RogersDarrell

I'm a Senior Contributor

The problem is it seems Canadian carriers are taking the normal approval process for security updates, while US carriers are expediting the process with their OEMs.

Why is Rogers (and your competitors) sitting on their hands for these critical updates to the end user? Maybe some learnings from your US partners is due here.

This doesn't affect me as I'm using a 6s Plus and a Nexus 6p both purchased directly from Apple and Google, so no skin off my back, but it's frustrating for the rest of the users to have to wait like this.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree. But I also understand it takes time to work out bugs with these updates but my question is why was Roger's so "gung ho" about getting all Their devices patched from stagefright flaws months ago and now you literally hear nothing about it? It's been almost 6 months, my device doesn't have an update that you Roger's said would finally be released back in September and then nothing.... I know for a fact this update is out for my phone but the question is why hasn't it been released from Roger's OTA or through PC? That's an awfully long time to have something neglected that is so important when you are paying good money to use these devices on the Roger's network. I know this is just a forum but come on Roger's Smiley Sad

This is exactly why I'll be getting a Nexus next phone or possibly sooner. I'll be buying my phone straight out unlocked and don't need to worry about my carrier again. Love my Note but honestly it is always nice to have sw updates and security updates right from Google and Apple. I mean $699 for a Nexus 6p unlocked and the phone is great from what I've read and even tried it out. Very tempting Smiley Happy
I'm a Senior Contributor

You won't be disappointed @Dx9, it's by far the best phone out there, regardless of platform.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Dx9

The Nexus line has always been great for updates as they come straight from the manufacturer just like Apple devices do. The problem lays on the Canadian carriers take their time to check the updates, make sure they work and then release them.

We all know it takes time to go the best they can to release the updates but it seems to take more time now.

Sold the Note 5 today. Offset the entire cost of the Nexus 6p. Now this is an amazing phone. Blazing fast. Now I don't need to worry about Rogers updating my phone. No more carrier branded phones for me. Got 6.0.1 within 5 min of having my phone on.