cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers LTE Frequency and my Phone

jacej92
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm currently planning to bye a new phone from hong kong that is LTE supported.

the Site says the phone supports LTE 800/1800/2600 MHz

but on Roger's Web it says it supports LTE 2100/2600MHz AWS

Would that phone work on roger's network on LTE and what is AWS???

****Edited Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers LTE Frequency and my Phone

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Jaces92

Your phone will NOT be able to access the LTE networks on Rogers. Hong Kong uses a different LTE networks then we do.

If you search Google, you will see AWS is Advanced Wireless Services.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Jaces92

Your phone will NOT be able to access the LTE networks on Rogers. Hong Kong uses a different LTE networks then we do.

If you search Google, you will see AWS is Advanced Wireless Services.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services

jacej92
I've been here awhile
Thanks again Meowmix! I guess just a 3G version would work then.

ryusoma
I plan to stick around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

According to the Wikipedia article, Rogers' LTE bands are:

Band 7 (2600 MHz, FD-LTE)
Bands 4 and 10 (2100/1700 MHz, FD-LTE, AWS)

these are compatible with a few existing providers' deployments around the world, but outside North America the compatibility is literally hit and miss.  In Europe for example, even if your LTE phone supports both these bands (and it appears most won't -ie: iPhone 5) you will get LTE coverage in Austria, Germany, Portugal, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland.. but not the rest of Europe, where you will fall back to HSPA or lower.  You'll be out of luck in Asia too except for Singapore and Hong Kong.

Fundamentally, this is the fault of international cellular carriers and the ITU, for allowing a free-for-all on spectrum used for LTE.  There are over a dozen frequency bands, combined with two incompatible transmission protocols FDD-LTE and TDD-LTE (sort of like CDMA and TDMA of old).  Compared to just five worldwide with the older GSM-based standards.

A real conspiracy nut might even imply this is just how the networks want it, since your bleeding-edge carrier-subsidized LTE phone is a blase HSPA brick anytime you leave their network..

ryusoma
I plan to stick around

So, in case it wasn't clear from my information on the Wikipedia link to actual deployed LTE networks- Meowmix is actually wrong here.  3 of the major Hong Kong carriers have 2600mhz LTE networks in place, the same band Rogers uses- 3HK notably does not.  The AWS band Rogers uses is the other system - 1700/2100 that uses one frequency outbound and the other inbound to the tower - this system is completely incompatible outside North America. You will not get GREAT coverage as you only have 1 of the bands Rogers supports, but it will be coverage likely in most major centres.  On the plus side, your phone would have much better coverage across Europe and the rest of Asia on LTE.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hmm weird i was anot able to use my Hong Kong phone on LTE here. Well i guess then i was wrong.

ryusoma
I plan to stick around

There could be any number of reasons.  Maybe 2600mhz LTE was not deployed in the area - many major Canadian cities only got LTE service at all this past month.  According to the article, the HK carriers only deployed these networks in April/May this year- perhaps the phone you used doesn't support 2600mhz itself?  Could also depend on the original source carrier for the phone - I also see that 3HK uses a 2300mhz network, and most of the rest also support 1800mhz.

rting
I'm here a lot

I bought this in Hong Kong: http://www.huaweie589.com/

It is Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, and 20 (800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz) ... so I am thinking may be it works in 4G LTE with Rogers.

To me, it "seems" that it will work but I do not know.  I will need to return to Canada after the holidays, switch my SIM card to a 4G card with Rogers ... then test it to see.

rting
I'm here a lot

Ok, I have 4G LTE but no 3G on the Huawei E589 (mobile WiFi router).  I purchased this unit in Hong Kong.

I believe the Huawel E589 works in one or more of the following Rogers 4G LTE Bands: Band 8 (2,100 MHz) and Band 20 (2,600 MHz).

I was unable to get 3G, however.

Alexddd
I've been around
This is because the phone's 3G is 900/2100 bands and rogers is 850/1900

zU
I've been around

Purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE from Hongkong China Mobile (model N7105), and used Rogers micro LTE sim card, the LTE works great in mall cantre (download 60M, upload 22M), but no LTE in home (instead 3G or HSPA up to 2M).

So I do believe N7105 is the best model used for Hongkong(China mobile), Canada (Rogers) and in China mainland (in the recent future after china mobile mainland set up LTE).

hanstoppable
I've been around

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting the new DROID MAXX phone from the States, but before I do that I wanted to see if there were any updates on this.

I have learned that the DROID MAXX will be running their LTE on the 800MHz band.

Does Rogers support this? Or any have plans to have this set up? Does the 800MHz band have anything to do with the 700MHz auction happening in January?

rdmatear
I've been around
HEY rting did you return to canada yet? Did you try this phone with Rogers LTE yet? Does it work?

I'm assuming it will work because it has the 2600mhz spectrum.. Please report back, thanks

epcjay
I've been here awhile

Only data will work on LTE Band 20 2600mhz, in downtown areas.  Voice will not work.

probstc
I've been here awhile

I am considering the purchase of a watch phone that operates on LTE bands 3 and 4.  I know Rogers uses band 4, but whenever I see this, I see it in conjunction with band 10.  Does this mean that my phone will require both LTE bands 4 and 10 to work?

I apologize for the mundane question, but I just recently got my head around WCDMA compatibility, and since I will be spending a considerable amount of money on this watch phone, and LTE is a must have, I want to make sure that I will not be disappointed.

I thank you for answering my question.

lavriv
I've been around

I have Oneplus one mobile phone (From China) on Rogers network, it has only 2.6GHz LTE band and it works nicely in Toronto area. LTE speed is very nice even when I ave only one bar of signal strength. While talking I get pushed back to 3G network since Rogers does not have Voice over LTE yet. Then on 3G network I get even more bars on my phone. AWS band of 1700MHz isn't very supported by 3rd party phone manufacturers, so don't expect to find too many 4G phones available for 1700LTE or UMTS modulations. They must be phone ordered by Mobilicity, Cricket, T-Mobile US and then unlocked

I bought my Redmi 2 HM 2LTE-SA in Hong Kong, working there and my Rogers SIM card not working here. Both carrier and device maker claim LTE Band 7 (2600Mhz) compatibility.

I got to the point to choose preferred network as LTE and did a search for cellular network. Got the the point where it found "Roger G4", but not able to register with the carrier.

Would appreciate if there is some more new clue to make my Redmi work. Pity to waste the money and effort to have bought the phone from so far away.

Thanks

Hayastan
I've been here awhile

I want to buy a BLUBOO XTOUCH 3GB 4G Smartphone online.  See the link: http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_234129.html

The frequencies it supports are the following:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/2100MHz
4G: LTE 800/1800/2100/2600MHz

Will I have 100% compatibility with my Rogers' service?  like maximum LTE speed, etc.?  are there any reasons it may not work in Toronto, Canada?

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor

It SHOULD work on band 7 (2600MHz) for Rogers.

I'm not a fan of MTK chipsets, but that looks like a great phone for the price, other than the monster bezels.

sammil
I plan to stick around

Hi Rting.  Just to know. Is your Huawei E589 is working/connected with Roger 4G LTE or Not. Please advise. 

sammil
I plan to stick around
BLUBOO XTOUCH 3GB 4G Smartphone is working/connect with Roger 4G LTE. As I am thinking to buy smartphone which is same as your network band configuration
Topic Stats