cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers HTC M8 Android security patch level Dec/2015

sprung
I plan to stick around

Hello,

my Rogers locked HTC M8 is fully updated (latest Sense, Android 6,etc).  However the Android Security Patch level is showing Dec 2015.  All my other devices (Redmi Note 3 Pro, Nexus 9) show much more recent patch levels. Why is that and should I be concerned?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers HTC M8 Android security patch level Dec/2015

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello @sprung,

As @Meowmix stated, the htc One m8 is no longer supported by Rogers - you will have to root it.  FYI: I just migrated away from the htc One M8 - my m8 is also at Android security patch level Dec/2015.

Are you looking to upgrade to a newer handset? I see that the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are $0 on a 2-year Share Everything+ plan, and that the Galaxy S8 is available for $249 on the same 2-year plan (bonus with S8: Samsung Gear VR+controller, 6-month Netflix subscription included).

I have the S7 Edge and it is awesome - fast and runs everything well (I have ~150 apps installed, and don't wait with app switching, loading, etc).

But...no front-facing stereo speakers! 😞

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @sprung

Those devices are unlocked so they get updates straight from Google. Unfortunately HTC One M8 isn't supported anymore by Rogers so the updates may not come to that device. You may have to contact HTC and see what they can do

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello @sprung,

As @Meowmix stated, the htc One m8 is no longer supported by Rogers - you will have to root it.  FYI: I just migrated away from the htc One M8 - my m8 is also at Android security patch level Dec/2015.

Are you looking to upgrade to a newer handset? I see that the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are $0 on a 2-year Share Everything+ plan, and that the Galaxy S8 is available for $249 on the same 2-year plan (bonus with S8: Samsung Gear VR+controller, 6-month Netflix subscription included).

I have the S7 Edge and it is awesome - fast and runs everything well (I have ~150 apps installed, and don't wait with app switching, loading, etc).

But...no front-facing stereo speakers! 😞

sprung
I plan to stick around
thanks robindp
"Are you looking to upgrade to a newer handset? I see that the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are $0 on a 2-year Share Everything+ plan, and that the Galaxy S8 is available for $249 on the same 2-year plan"

No offense but I prefer to buy phones straight up. This whole contract thing just seems like a huge cash grab by the providers. Most other countries don't do that, people just buy the hardware outright.

My unlocked Xiomi Redmi Note 3 Pro is pretty awesome . Great LTE speeds on Rogers, weekly official developer ROM updates, and incredible battery life. It also supports a host of alternate ROMs like the ones you've mentioned. I do love the front firing HTC Boomsound though, not much else lately comes close to that.

Honestly these Chinese brands are really forcing the longtime stalwarts (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc) to really step up their game. In the end that totally benefits the consumer.

Hello @sprung,

No offence taken.  The promotions being offered by Canadian providers are a way to get great devices at $0 up-front...but pay in the long run ("device balance").  It helps if you negotiate a Customer Loyalty (retentions) package for all services up-front.

I have always kept an eye on the Chinese market, and frequently purchase things from there via eBay or IT suppliers (CDW, Ingram Micro, TigerDirect, etc).  The Xiomi Redmi Note 3 Pro is a cool piece of tech, no doubt.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation