Roaming in the US

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Roaming in the US

This is a question regarding roaming in the USA.  I have a Samsung 4 with a package that gives me unlimited talk and text and some data (2K) .  My question is if I go to the USA for a couple of weeks and don't plan on using my cell phone but I want to keep it ON just in case I get an emergency call will I be paying roaming charges just to keep it on even if I don't use my phone at all?  If I do decide to make a call from the USA to Canada, will I pay so much a minute plus roaming charges?  Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted

Re: Roaming in the US

Good evening @ginettecharron1,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums Smiley Very Happy

You can definitely bring you cellphone in the USA in order to make and receive emergency calls.

If you are not covered for any type of usage while in the United-Sates, an amount of $1.45/minute is automatically charged whenever you place or receive calls.

There is no additional charge on top of the roaming rate.

If you realize that you might need your device more than you thought do not hesitate to add a travel pack to save money Smiley Wink

If you are on a Share Everything plan, you might want to take advantage of ROAM LIKE HOMEText travel to 222 to enroll or to ensure you have the right plan.

You indicated that  you own a smartphone - It is very important that you turn off data roaming in the network settings of your phone ! This could prevent that you get billed for data transmissions, even if you do not physically use the internet (apps, emails etc.).

Let us know if you require further assistance - Hope this helps !

RogersMaude 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you so much for the reply.  You have been very helpful.  Just another quick question if I may.  If someone calls my cell phone and I don't answer, do I still have to pay $1.45?  Sometimes you get wrong numbers or sellers, etc and if I don't know the number I will certainly not answer.  Also if I have a message in my voicemail and I listen to it will I pay $1.45?  Thanks again.

You are very welcome @ginettecharron1 !

We are glad to help!

If you do not answer a phone call you will not be charged.

However, if you call to retrieve your voicemails, you will be billed the roaming rate of $1.45 /minute.

Be Careful - Some users have the Visual Voicemail Application and that may cause data transmissions.

Once again, in order to prevent any charges related to that, simply turn Data Roaming off in your device settings. 

Have a safe trip!

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

Long Distance Charges with Roam Like Home

Are you charged long distance when using Roam Like Home?

If I take my rogers phone with me to Miami and I recieve a call will I be charged Long Distance?  I am presently on a package where I have Unlimited airtime.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Hello @mvannie

There is no additional long distance charges associated with Roam Like Home.  If you’re roaming in the US, you’ll be charged $5 a day and if you’re roaming within Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, South & Central America, you’ll be charged $10 a day to a maximum of 10 days per monthly bill cycle.

In order to be eligible for Roam like Home you need to be on a Share Everything price plan.

Once you’ve enrolled, you’re set for all future trips to eligible countries.

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia

I Plan to Stick Around

So, I have a simple question on $5/day to use the existing Rogers account when traveling to the U.S.

If I am on a couples plan, we share the talk/data - when we both travel to the US, with both our phones, are we going to get charged PER phone $5/day, or will it be a $5 charge on the account since it's shared.

If anyone can tell me I would appreciate it (as well as pointing me to the actual details of this offering).

Thank you in advance!

Retired Moderator RogersMelissaH
Retired Moderator

Hi @Unlocked,

Thank you for the question! In the US, the daily fee is $5 a day per device, for a maximum of up to $50 on your monthly bill.

You can read about Roam Like Home, it's features, benefits and FAQ's here:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/roam-like-home/2160

Cheers,

@RogersMelissaH

I Plan to Stick Around

@Unlocked wrote:

So, I have a simple question on $5/day to use the existing Rogers account when traveling to the U.S.

If I am on a couples plan, we share the talk/data - when we both travel to the US, with both our phones, are we going to get charged PER phone $5/day, or will it be a $5 charge on the account since it's shared.

If anyone can tell me I would appreciate it (as well as pointing me to the actual details of this offering).

Thank you in advance!

My understanding is that if you turn off "Allow data roam" on your phone, and you don't use it for voice call or sending a text message, you won't be charged. You'll get charged as soon as you use it for voice call, sending a text (receiving text won't trigger the charge), or using your data on your phone.

So if you just need to use 1 phone, make sure you use the same one, otherwise you'll get charged for both. Or don't use it and use wifi whenever you find one.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are there no similar daily plans for US roaming for those not on a Share Everything Plan like that of the $5/day Roam like Home?

All the Add-Ons for roaming are for 31 days.