cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Spam SMS Messages from 33333300x / 22222000x Numbers

Victor43
I've been here awhile

Is anyone else receiving sexually explicit vulgar text messages ?

As the subject states is anyone else receiving vulgar sexually explicit text messages from numbers like 2220000 3333000 and so on ????? What are you doing about this ?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Receiving Spam SMS Messages from 33333300x / 22222000x Numbers

Hello, All

Thank you for reporting the issue.  We apologize for the inconvenience. Currently, a small percentage of Rogers customers are experiencing this issue of spam SMS messages being received on their wireless devices. Please do not click on any links included in these spam messages and delete these messages from your device. We are working diligently towards a resolution of this issue.

We encourage to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can register a case, thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

PS: Thank you - @Meowmix

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

totaljustice
I've been around

I'm getting the infernal things too. From the same numbers. It only just started. I normally would just delete them but they are coming in at 330 in the morning. I don't get it because I don't give my phone number to anyone except friends and family and none of them are spammers. What is Rogers going to do about this?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Victor43 & @totaljustice

Hey guys. Rogers is aware of the issue and is trying to block all communications between them and us as customers. Every carrier is having the same exact issue. My uncles phone with Bell is receiving the same text messages and so is some people I know with u Telus and Fido. It seems to be a huge problem for carrier to deal with as spammers are using different number every day for this. I am sure Rogers is working on a way to get this resolved.

Hello, All

Thank you for reporting the issue.  We apologize for the inconvenience. Currently, a small percentage of Rogers customers are experiencing this issue of spam SMS messages being received on their wireless devices. Please do not click on any links included in these spam messages and delete these messages from your device. We are working diligently towards a resolution of this issue.

We encourage to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can register a case, thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

PS: Thank you - @Meowmix

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

About a week ago I got a stock market spam SMS from 333330001 and a few days ago a sexual text from 222220001. While all unsolicited spam texts from any source are annoying, I'm actually more offended by the stock market spam than the sexual one, but had no desire to reply to either one.

Now, here's the strange part. I have PayGo, so every incoming SMS costs me, yet these two have not appeared on my Transaction History.

Looks like Rogers is at least not charging me for them, if not blocking them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

JasonS1352
I've been around

I too have been getting these texts. I called rogers support today and the lady said that they are aware of the issue, and that she herself is also getting these spam texts. She mentioned that she would open a case and make note that my number is one of the numbers that is getting the spam texts.

zeroz3hereo
I plan to stick around
Myself and my family members are getting these same messages, sometimes 2-3 in one hour. I searched the Web about it when I got the first one months ago but couldn't really find anything. Now that it's months later these things are coming in just about daily, and almost everyone I ask about them says they have gotten them too. I will make sure to contact Rogers aswell. My question to anyone else out there....have you received a phone call from these spam numbers? Or just texts.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

Hey guys, I wanted to let you guys know a little background.

The "weird number" you guys see actually means that someone is sending spam from the Internet directly to your number. Most of these are achieved by "spambots" which randomly send text to randomized numbers. As it appears, Rogers already is aware of this issue so I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at ways to block the incoming sender of these text messages to their network.

It is actually 'very' annoying, sometimes I hope that the entire telecom regulatory changes. Anyone else also receive weird calls that are spam telemarketers ? But if you ever call them back, it is some poor guy's cell number and don't know that they called you? Or receiving calls from someone saying that they missed your call from your phone number? Its because of VOIP, people are spoofing telephone numbers since they can basically identify their calling number as whatever number they wish. I wish our entire telephony system in Canada can move towards some 'authenticated caller' system which would truly identify that the call originated from a specific number that is 'unique'. Of course, same should apply to sending text messages as well to truly identify the originating number.

The only thing that has to happen is for the CRTC to outlaw any number used in telephone calls except for the real billing number.  There are two numbers in play, the billing number and the ID number, where the ID number can be set to whatever the user wants.  Not sure what the real term is for the ID number, but, that is the number that you see on your phone to identify whomever is calling. You never see the billing number.  If you did, you would know if you wanted to answer it or not.  Want to see something done.  Complain to the CRTC whenever you receive one of these spam messages.  Same goes for telemarketers that spoof someone else's phone number.  The only thing that the CRTC will respond to is public pressure to do something about these messages and annoying phone calls.

lurbisci
I've been around

Just received this from (333) 330-000:

"Fr: zzofgekg53@pathfinance.org

Su:19809997057

DID THEY JUST TAAKE [sic] YOU OUT OF THE OVEN? CAUSE BOY, YOU'RE HOT."

Have also received another 3-4 similar in the past month.

Does Rogers have somthing similar to the AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon where subscribers can report text spam to their carrier free of charge by copying the text and sending it to SPAM (7726)?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe someone is spamming the phonenumber@sms.rogers.com email gateway, which then converts the email into a text from a 222xxx or 333xx number.  Is there any way for us to turn off that specific email address?

canuck_mr
I've been around
Yup also getting these annoying texts from 33333### . Pretty vulgar stuff.

iankthompson
I plan to stick around

glad to know it's not just me, I've been getting tons recently, I tried to PM @communityhelps, as suggested but I get an error stating  Request Entity Too Large, no matter what I type... so. yeah.   

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@iankthompson wrote:

@glad to know it's not just me, I've been getting tons recently, I tried to PM @CommunityHelps, as suggested but I get an error stating  Request Entity Too Large, no matter what I type... so. yeah.   

The Request Entity Too Large error is a common one for everybody from time to time. I was getting it today. Until Rogers finds a way to fix it, the workaround is to delete all Rogers cookies and start over.

To Rogers credit, when I received spam from those 2 numbers, I was not charged for it. I'm on PayGo and being charged for spam adds insult to injury.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
Hey guys, I would like to suggest reporting the sms message to Rogers and in addition, if it refers a domain, refer it to the abuse department for the domain registrar.

I just received one spam text requesting me to be a mystery shopper leading me to shoppermte.org and another one with sexual content sent from peaveycorp.com.

I looked up the whois owner of the domain which points to godaddy and the other to wildwestdomains and I have reported both of them to their abuse department to deal with. Typically domain registrars are quick at actioning these requests so I suggest that if the sms text refers a domain name ( don't click the link or visit it ), but look up the owner of the domain and report it to the Domain Name Registrar.

carol22
I've been around

My daughter who is 12 years old is getting these sexual text messages, her friends who are with Rogers are getting them as well. My phone is with Rogers yet i do not get them why is this happening? Are these pedophiles doing this it seems strange that i am not getting them. What is Rogers doing about this? I went into the retail store and the rep said that he had 2 other people come in a complain as well. Why is Rogers not addressing this issue, these are disgusting and my 12 year old is just sick reading these messages so get on doing something please Rogers.

Heather_arnold
I've been around
I recieved these messages on my iphone 6s+ how donwe stop them its getting worse. I dont want my personal info stolen please help

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Heather_arnold

Your personal information is not going to get stolen. They only know the phone number it seems.. Also tell your daughter not to reply back or open the links.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @carol22

They are spamming everyone. I am 26 and i got the spam text messages and so is my father which is 61. It doesn't matter what age the person it. They only spam the numbers they have. I know older couples which get spammed as well and younger ones as well.

Rogers did make a statement saying they are looking into this. Same with Bell but they can't give out to much information it seems.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around

For those that are receiving these messages, if there is a domain name or email address mentioned in the text, then report them to the domain name registrar so their website/service can be shutdown.. that is the only way we are users can help meanwhile Rogers finds a way to filter these out.

It is not just Rogers numbers, its anyone in general, the spam bots just fires off random text messages to randomly generated numbers... 

Hey guys,  just a heads up, just because you see a domain name in the spam, it does NOT always or necessarily mean the e-mail is coming from that domain.

Think of this as email spam you get on your computer from apple, paypal, scotia bank, but in reality, they are coming from SPOOFED emails, its very easy for a spammer to spoof his email to someone elses. but guess what?  a spammer can use my domain name to send out spam, and I did nothing wrong but someone could try to report me to my domain registrar because they do not like the spam but in reality It never came from me, you get it?  I would not like it if some company got introuble for spam when they are not the ones sending it out and it really was someone else spoofing their domain name posing as some one else.

Rogers realy needs to find a way for its customers to "turn off" the email the spammers are using so we can enjoy our phone peacefully.

Topic Stats