cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROGERS Network work with Unlocked Phones?

M1cha3l
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Just thought I'd ask here because I'm planning on buying an unlocked phone from Japan and am wondering if it will work on your network?(I have rogers and want a cool JP one XD)

I have two models I'm considering:

Docomo Sony SO-04E Xperia A(Unlocked By Docomo):

Network:

• 2G Network : GSM GPRS EDGE  850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz 
  • 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA  850, 900, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : LTE 800, 1500, 2100 MHz

The other is:

Docomo Sony SO-04D Xperia GX(Unlocked By Docomo):

Network:

• 2G Network : GSM GPRS EDGE  850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz 
  • 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA  800, 850, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : LTE 2100 MHz

The thing is, they are both identical save for the 1500, 2100 MHz on the second phone and I don't know if that will impede anything, like browsing or the like.

Thanks,

***edited labels***

46 REPLIES 46

Re: ROGERS Network work with Unlocked Phones?

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor
That's a loaded phone for the price. I'm iffy on Mediatek processors, but the Helio P10 is supposed to be good.

I checked out the bands, and it should work one you add the Rogers APN.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @GibMcFragger

Yeah neither am i with those Mediatek processors but again u never know on each device.

sammil
I plan to stick around

Thanks you all.

I don't want to lump Canada in with the US. Most Chinese phones can already be used on LTE in Canada. That's because two of the biggest carriers (Bell & Rogers) have LTE band 7 (2600) which nearly all LTE/4G Chinese phones have. For instance, someone using the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 in Canada on LTE band 7 but it is not compatible with any US carrier's LTE bands.

sammil
I plan to stick around

I hope Elephone P9000 will work 4G LTE in Canada as I has 4G LTE (FDD-LTE): Band 1/3/7/8/20.  Band 7 ( 2600 Mhz).

GibMcFragger
Yea. It should work on band 7, but LTE coverage won't be nearly as good as correct phones with all the Rogers bands (obviously).

Dabas1000
I've been here awhile

Hi, I purchased a factory unlocked Samsung s6 Edge Plus, model SM-G928C.  everything seems to be working fine except I'm not getting 4G on it, I only get 3G or H+.  Below are the phone specs which I believe are compatible with 4G on Rogers:

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600),
8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 26(850), 28(700),
40(2300)
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps/ LTE Cat9 450/50 Mbps
GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes

I tried the instructions on setting up the APN but it didn't work...

Any advice?  thanks

Dabas1000
I've been here awhile

Seems like the problem was my SIM card, it was an older card that I had cut up from Micro to Nano size...I went to a Rogers store and they gave me a new one (free!) and now I get 4G...

Hi @Dabas1000,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

Making sure you're using our latest Rogers LTE Multi SIM Card would have definitely done the trick, thanks for sharing the information with the rest of the Community.Smiley Wink

RogersArthur

LHILLARY
I've been here awhile

Did you ever get your P9000 to work on the LTE network.  I just got my Elephone P9000 but all I can get is 3G.

GibMcFragger
The only compatible band is 7, so you may not get LTE if the band isn't available in your area.

How is the phone, BTW?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @LHILLARY

That is because their bands are not compatible with Rogers. Thus why you you only getting 3G.

I am using the P9000 as well and 4G is spotty. Otherwise the phone is pretty good, great when you consider the price point. Took me some time to play with the settings to enable picture downloads in text msgs but think I have it working correctly now. Wish there was a spot on the Web wehre I could check to ensure I have all the wireless settings correctly setup. Haven't been able to use the NFC function as things like RBC Wallet will not work as they do not support unlocked phones (assuming this is due ot securty issues).

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Johnme

One of the customers i interact with has the P9000. They like it but their battery life isnt the greatest that i have heard. Other then that they love the phone.

LHILLARY
I've been here awhile

It works fine in certain areas, I managed to logon to ther 4g LTE network while sitting in the vancouver airport -- so it is not the phone but I guess Band7-2600MHz is not avilable in all Canadian centres like Winnipeg

Device FrequenciesElephone P9000  Carrier Frequencies Canada Rogers
2G Network:
850MHz, 1900MHz

3G Network:
850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE Network:
Band7-2600MHz

babyduck
I've been here awhile
Hi,

The website willmyphonework.net will show you if the phone you plan to buy will work or not.

I am using a Samsung A7 (2016) model A-710FD purchased in Indonesia and it works perfectly here. I connect to the 4G almost all the time in Montreal area.

There is no big money saving when you buy there... but FM radio is not disabled, its unlocked and you have dual-sim + micro SD on much more models !

My wife will come back from Indonesia with a Oppo F1 Plus soon.. I will let you know if it works good too !

jjro
I've been around

[Unlocked Samsung S5]Able to Call and Text yet Unable to use the LTE Mobile Data!

My phone functioned well(i.e. able to use the mobile data) some days ago, but now it has the issue and I haven't changed any setting regarding the mobile data and network.

Although it's still able to call and text, it has no data connection now. I'm pretty sure that the APN setting is the same as before and that the network signal is perfect.

I've tried rebooting the phone, but not worked.

Is it possible that Rogers is blocking my phone from establish a data connection?

Android 6.0.1

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @jjro

They wont be doing that unless the device it self has been reported stolen but the whole device it self won't work for texting or calling.

Have you tried to back up the device on Samsung Kies and do a factory reset to see if that will fix it?

RR10
I've been here awhile

Will my unlocked phone work on Rogers network?

I am looking to buy Elephone S8 4G Phablet from a website based in China. I am on Rogers network. Does this phone support Rogers network? Rogers website says "Rogers network uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, or LTE technology at 2100/2600 MHz AWS". Phone spec suggests that 

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz 
WCDMA: B1/B8
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B7/B20
TDD-LTE: B38/B40

How should I interpret these information. I have contacted my phone company as well as rogers they keep directing me to each other. Its disappointing. Please help. Thanks

RogersShaun
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @RR10,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

The Elephone S8 looks like an amazing little device, so I can definitely see why you'd want to ensure it works with our network.

Having said that, based on the specs provided, your Elephone should work with Rogers. However, as stated previously, it would be a non-Rogers device and we cannot guarantee 100% functionality on our network. For example, LTE may not work correctly, as the specs you provided only cover LTE-Max, which is not as widely used. 

I hope this helps.

RogersShaun

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RR10 wrote:

Will my unlocked phone work on Rogers network?

I am looking to buy Elephone S8 4G Phablet from a website based in China. I am on Rogers network. Does this phone support Rogers network? Rogers website says "Rogers network uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, or LTE technology at 2100/2600 MHz AWS". Phone spec suggests that 

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz 
WCDMA: B1/B8
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B7/B20
TDD-LTE: B38/B40

How should I interpret these information. I have contacted my phone company as well as rogers they keep directing me to each other. Its disappointing. Please help. Thanks

I personally wouldn't buy it. It only supports B7 on Rogers, which isn't used everywhere, so you'll have no service in a lot of places. 

RR10
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my message.

I did some more research about the device and was able to get more information about network compatibility. The website further stated it supports:

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz 
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz 
Network type: FDD-LTE,GSM,TDD-LTE,WCDMA 
WIFI: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless internet 
Wireless Connectivity: 3G,4G,A-GPS,Bluetooth,GPS,GSM,WiFi 
4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,TDD B38 2600MHz,TDD B40 2300MHz

Since I have already ordered the phone I am more than curious and confused about it. I may have a strange or same question for you but Can I be 60% positive about this phone working on Rogers network?

Thanks again!

Topic Stats