Question: Replacing a lost phone with a phone not yet released in Canada

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Question: Replacing a lost phone with a phone not yet released in Canada

Hi,

I had the Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-i317m until I lost it. (However, I still have my old SIM card that I used in my lost Note II. I'm planning to use that)

I'm planning to replace the phone with an LG G3 or a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as the second choice. I'm thinking about purchasing it online, which the phones are being shipped from the US.

So my questions are:

1) LG G3 isn't released in Canada yet. (Although I've heard that they will be released on August 1st, 2014) Will the phone be compatible with Rogers and will I be able to get LTE/4g on the new phone, assuming that I continue with the my plan?

2) Both the Galaxy Note 3 and the LG G3, if purchased online, only works on GSM networks. I'm not brightest with these terms so could you explain briefly about CDMA and GSM and also whether Rogers uses GSM or not?

Thanks a bunch!

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Question: Replacing a lost phone with a phone not yet released in Canada

Hello mattieboo

LG G3 has been released as of today. Many of us on here including my self just got one this morning although i never opened it yet. As long as the device you get works on the Rogers frequencies, you will be just fine.

2). CDMA is a non sincere device which Bell and Telus used this along time ago. most carriers if not all carriers in the world use GSM devices. This enables the usage of sim cards and better frequencies like LTE. A CDMA device can NOT work on a GSM carrier and vise versa.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the quick reply Meowmix!

By any chance, do you know what kind of frequency Rogers uses for 3G and 4G/LTE??

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G Network LTE  800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2300 / 2600

These are the networks that the G3 sold online can work on. Is this compatible with Rogers?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mattieboo

Yes all those frequencies will work on Rogers as those are the same ones Rogers uses!

So go ahead and get one 🙂