Phone keeps stealthy reboots

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Phone keeps stealthy reboots

Ever since Roger's has released the android 5.1.1 build 23.4.A.1.200 for Xperia Z3 (D6603) I have been getting random soft reboots or stealthy reboots. This started about a month ago. The first time I noticed was when I woke up one morning and went to wake my phone (double tap) and it wasn't responding. Then a second or two later it vibrated two or three times and the boot animation screen came on for a couple seconds and then brought me to my home screen. I thought it was really odd because it has never happened before so I just thought it was a small glitch or something. Later on that day I was looking at my battery usage in power management and saw a pretty big gap in the graph where it basically looked like the phone was off for most of the night and then came back on. This really started to concern me but then I was thinking about it a bit more and thought "if my phone was off for that amount of time, why did my alarms go off earlier in the morning way before the reboot happened?" so I tried looking up this issue on the net but couldn't really find anything that was exactly like my problem and just left it thinking it was just a one time glitch.

The next morning my phone did the exact same thing except this time it did the soft reboot right after I turned my alarm off, and then again later on when I went to wake my phone up to check a text message and in the battery usage graph there was another big gap in the graph. I decided that I was going to repair my phone using PC companion and then reformat my SD card, double tripple check the sim card was not loose and everything was properly seated. After about 2-3 days of no issues the same thing happened again. This time it happened at work when I went to wake the phone up to make a call. So long story short it has been doing these random stealthy reboots ever since and I can't think of anything that has changed with my device except for that update Roger's released.

I had no 3rd party apps on my phone after I repaired via pcc, I made sure all apps were updated, phone is not rooted nor is bootloader unlocked, have never dropped my phone or damaged it in any way. The battery life is still really good and everything works...except for extremely poor LTE signal, but I never use LTE unless I'm in a n area where it's good, otherwise I only use GSM because the signal is solid 24/7 no matter where I am. I use wifi alot but always turn it off when I'm not using it, mobile data I only use when I need to and then turn it off when I don't need it, GPS and auto sync are always off. I never ever put my phone on airplane mode, I don't mess with settings in developer options, I have never got my phone wet or did anything stupid with it....but I need help because this is very inconvenient and I'm scared that these reboots could be causing damage to the phone.

One more thing I noticed. When I went to diagnostics the reboots come up as "system incidents" and shows a time but does not give any details about what the system incidents actually are.

Please someone with some knowledge can you help me out? I refuse to believe it's hardware related, it has to be software.

Thank you,

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersMay
Retired Moderator

Re: Phone keeps stealthy reboots

Hi @zeroz3hereo

Sounds like you've eliminated a number of potential causes by the troubleshooting you have already done.

I would suggest trying a factory reset on your device. 

Let me know how that goes, looking forward to your reply.

RogersMay

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMay

Sorry I meant to say that factory resetting has also not fixed the issue. That is one of the things I have also tried twice in the last month along with repairing using pcc and after a couple days it's back to the same issue. Im thinking it might have something to do with Google apps or play services. I'm gonna try factory resetting and leaving the phone completely stock, no updates, no adding my google account, just keep it in stock and see what happens. After reading something today I found more and more people experiencing the same issue but worse than me where they would get 15-20 reboots in a day.

1-2 is concerning enough for me so I want to figure this out because it's not right.

Thanks,
I Plan to Stick Around

So I have factory reset my phone, have not installed any updates, have not set my google account back up, just using the phone completely stock. I have not had any random reboots/ soft boots/ stealthy resets or any issues since. I think I'm on to something. Oh BTW @RogersMay do you know why the OS update page still says "coming soon" about the 5.1.1 update for the Xperia Z3 when it has already been released some time ago. There is also no eta to when the stagefright patch will be released.
Retired Moderator RogersMay
Retired Moderator

@zeroz3hereo

Happy to hear it has been working so far since the reset! Smiley Happy

As for the 5.1.1 update unfortunately I do not have any further updates about when it will be available Smiley Sad but stay tuned, the OS Upgrade page will be updated as soon as we get more information.

RogersMay

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMay what I mean is. Roger's has already pushed that update back in August. My question is why does it still say coming soon? Doesn't really make sense right? Unless Roger's is going to finally release a new 5.1.1 update you would think they would remove that by now. I'm still waiting for a stagefright update that was supposed to be released on September 16th according to the thread about "Stagefright patch ETA's" which has been removed for some reason now. Anyway thank you for replying to my posts 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

This is not solved so why did you mark it as such? If you read my posts you would see that the phone was not restarting randomly after a factory reset, not installing any updates whatsoever, not adding my google account back on my phone, absolutely completely stock. The minute I put my google account back on and updated google play and all its related apps (no 3rd party apps) it starts randomly restarting again. This is not solved it's simply a trial and error test I was doing and I'm almost positive it's to do with Google apps or the firmware. Technically I can't use my phone the way it used to work before this last firmware update 😞
Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation