Phone has no service outside of Canada

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KellyL1007
I'm Here A Lot

Phone has no service outside of Canada

A couple months ago I took my Samsumg Galaxy Ace 2 phone from Canada to Cuba. I did not purchase any long distance plans, but had planned to just have it in case there were any emergencies at home. As soon as I landed in Cuba the phone had no service, and stayed that way the entire trip (tried turning it on and off, etc.)  My travelling partner is also with Rogers, and his phone switched over to the "Cubacel" network, and we were able to make long distance calls and text. 

I will soon be travelling to the UK, with the same cell phone. I'm almost sure I'm going to experience the phone going out of service again....my question is...why!? What is stopping it from switching over to the region's carrier? 

I've had one Rogers rep tell me I need to turn on my data roaming to make phone calls, which does not make any sense at all, and another rep simply tell me it was technical error, and to call Rogers when I get overseas (which I will not have a phone to do so with?!) 

I'm really looking for any advice anyone has....really panicking about not having a functioning cell phone while travelling alone.

***Edited Labels***

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Phone has no service outside of Canada

Hello @KellyL1007

Did they check your account to make sure there isn't a block for long distance?. Also did you have roaming on or did you have the device unlocked?..

I would go into a Rogers store and have them check it.
KellyL1007
I'm Here A Lot

Hi, thank you. I'm a bit confused when you say to have roaming on - my understanding is turning on data roaming is going to incur a lot of internet charges....I don't want internet, I just want the phone to be able to make calls, at the applicable long distance rates.

Is there something else I need to enable? Everything I've read has said to make sure your data roaming is turned OFF when travelling...everyone I've ever travelled with has still been able to use their phones to make calls while travelling despite having data roaming disabled. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @KellyL1007

When speaking to Rogers over the phone, did you ask them if there was any block on the device causing this?. Also did you try to add any traveling package on your account?. I would invite @CommunityHelps to message you or you message them to have them look into this further with you!
RogersZia

Hi @KellyL1007

Thank you for reaching out. In order to further assist you we may need access to your account information. Can you please send us a PM @CommunityHelps next time you're online?

Thank you,

RogersZia