*** POTENTIAL COMPLAINT* 1.8GB data used in 1 night by Google+ - WHICH I DO NOT USE!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

*** POTENTIAL COMPLAINT* 1.8GB data used in 1 night by Google+ - WHICH I DO NOT USE!!

I just received a text message from Rogers stating that I had used 100% of my 4Gb data limit.  I thought this was very strange as  I NEVER use it all and was only 20th March when I received the text.  On investigating in the settings of my S5, I saw that Google+ had used 1.8Gb just the night before!!!  

Firstly, although I have a Gmail account, I do not use Google+ (what is it?) and secondly the phone recently updated itself to Android 5.0 Lollipop, which presumably switched on the Google + thing.

I contacted Customer Services this morning, who siad that there is nothing they can do, it is my fault for not changing my settings and that the updates are not done by Rogers, which is a blatant lie as the OEM is no longer responsible for updates, rather it is the phone company:

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/02/rogers-revises-android-5-0-lollipop-update-schedule-several-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/26850

So, I wish the following:

a.  As I did not use the data myself, or in fact had Google + switched on at all before the update (if that is what did so), I want the 1.8Gb refunded onto my account.

b.  All overage charges to be waived.

I am sick of such issues with Rogers and the quality of customer service is terrible, however polite the individuals are. I often get incorrect information and lied to, such as above.

Rogers - please answer or this will be raised to a complaint.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: *** POTENTIAL COMPLAINT* 1.8GB data used in 1 night by Google+ - WHICH I DO NOT USE!!

Hello Sorbz62

The carriers and manufactures work together for the updates. The manufacturer sends the updates out to the carriers and then the carriers send it out. Rogers ads their bloatware into the update to see if it works on the networks. Google+ is from Google and not the carriers. Every Android has this feature. It shouldn't be using that much service UNLESS you had something turned on while syncing and u were using LTE or ur data and now WiFi. Unfortunately they won't be able to see what exactly it was using in Google+ but if u search Google+ in Google u will see what it it... 

Unfortunately they won't be able to refund u the 1.8gb back to you but i am sure they can refund the amount or most of it. You can contact one of the mods on here or they can send you a PM and see what they can do for you.

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: *** POTENTIAL COMPLAINT* 1.8GB data used in 1 night by Google+ - WHICH I DO NOT USE!!

Hi @Sorbz62 

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with your data overusage.

I’d like to help by looking into this for you. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

@RogersPrasana 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank You very much.

My normal creed is "There is always something that can be done" and I am grateful that you are looking into this for me.

Cheers,

Jim

I Plan to Stick Around

I replied to the PM message with my details but ....

I do not know my account PIN???

Jim

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sorbz62

when contacting Rogers, do they ask you for a PIN so they can access your account? If they do not ask you for a pin number then leave it blank as then you do not have a PIN number.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sorbz62

You are welcome! Hopefully the Rogers rep that contacts you can help you out more & resolve the main issue!
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks veryone for your advice.

I just received the following PM from Rogers:

Thanks Rogers and the team for understanding me in this issue and I will positively report this to others.

BR,

Jim

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sorbz62

Glad to hear its been resolved & you do not have to pay the charges! Again as the team said be mindful on the apps you use & if you are downloading anything or syncing anything, best to do it over WiFi!