cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Upgrades page...what is its purpose.

Alph
I Plan to Stick Around

What's the purpose of the OS Upgrades Page? It shows the current OS revision for phones, then....nothing. There's a couple of columns to show some potentially useful information, if only Rogers kept it up to date. If you're going to have a page like this, can Rogers at least maintain it properly?

***Edited Labels***

19 REPLIES 19

Re: OS Upgrades page...what is its purpose.

GibMcFragger
I'm a Reliable Contributor
I hear you. It's useless. At least Telus' page is updated with actual dates. Sure they are soft dates and can change when updates get delayed, but at least you can get an idea when your update is coming. Rogers page is a joke.

DrewLazz
I Plan to Stick Around
Couldn't agree more.. the only device with *any* info is the G3 (which, great, that's my phone) and the only info is "6.0 - Coming Soon!". This hasn't changed in months.

I've got to think at this point that literally no one maintains the page.

DrewLazz
I Plan to Stick Around

Just figured out why the OS Update Schedule is never updated , at the bottom of the page is the dislaimer:

"Making sure these dates are accurate is our top priority."

This is easy to do when you don't have any dates listed! Smiley LOL

mmostafaei
I Plan to Stick Around
Absolutely useless page. It is kind of a joke I think.

Jmfva
I Plan to Stick Around
Makes me want to unlock my phone... Absolutely no info on the Samsung S5. Ha-ha at least a coming soon! Should be there as it's been updating around the world.

Creaulx
I Plan to Stick Around

Best guess is mid-May by the time Rogers gets around to verifying and pushing it out.  Korea and Trinidad(!) are getting it now.

Jmfva
I Plan to Stick Around
Korea, Trinidad got it last week. Sprint got it last Friday. It's hit the States and will be rolling out through the rest soon I hope.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Jmfva

I havent heard anything from the other Canadian carriers as well. So i don't know if its a thing with Samsung Canada which is causing this or all Canadian carriers just waiting until they want to release it. The S5 should be updated to the new update which i find fair.

Nicoa333
I've Been Around

This doesn't make annnny sense. Telus has released this upgrade months ago and I'm getting sick of the "coming soon" message on the OS upgrade page. Is there any actual progress on availability? And if so, can they come up with concrete date? I understand my phone works fine without the update,  but I don't pay $100 a month to get notifications about NHL packages and data overages. I want OS upgrades and proper timelines as to when I'm going to get them along with some customer service. I want Marshmallow and I want it now! 😞

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Nicoa333

They don't give actual concrete dates unless it's for sure they will be released that date. They did that before and alot of backlash came out of it. Same now. So honestly its best to leave it at this. Believe me i know how u feel but thousands have had issues with Marshmellow on their devices, would u like to be one of those or would u rather have a OS tested and not have bugs?

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around
Honestly .... I'll deal with the bugs.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @JayPoel

Well not going to lie if the bugs are battery drainage, memory drainage and other problems, I am sure you would complain about them and how either Samsung or Rogers aren't doing anything. Correct? If wrong then so be it but I and many others rather them take take their time and fix the bugs then do nothing and release it full of bugs and have major problems.

hogey
I Plan to Stick Around
Ya but its not. Ive added it to one of my s6's as Rogers doesnt seem to be able to do so. My battery lasts a third longer than it did.....

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm quite aware of what issues can develope after an OS upgrade. If there were major issues the competitors would be pulling down their updates. Rogers has dropped the ball on this one that's for sure. The Rogers development team could give some answers so those of us complaining on the forums have some idea what's going on.  Right now we have to guess and that leads to guessing at things like Rogers trying to figure out how to make a profit off of Android Pay and WiFi calling.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys

The purpose of the OS Upgrade page is meant for customers to know about the latest software and when the next one will come. Again Rogers does not put a date on when the next update will come and put " Coming soon". the mean reason is that either the team is having issues with the update and need more time and also if they do put a date out and they miss it, users will come and start complaining how the date is there but they missed it.

Rogers did put dates before and it was a mess. Thus why they changed it. Anyways again not everyone on here may find it useful but many do. The page does need some updating and such but overall it does what its supposed to do. As for updates being late or not posted, that is a different reason all together.

darthbr4d
I'm Here A Lot

Essentially it's to give the illusion that they care about their customers.  The fact agents refer customers to it, yet

it is never really updated, really paints the picture we all see -  poor service.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @darthbr4d

The agents are supposed t refer the customers to it that is how it goes. They do update it but again its all done by the back end. The mods can not touch it until they are told what to put up. As for updating it with some stuff. I do agree that sometimes they are late the on updating it with the correct info ( the update is already out but they did not update it on the list)

wilescave
I've Been Around

it was mentioned a couple of times that the update schedule doesn't put dates unless they know it's being put out. I have an aqua m4 and on the update list it has Aug 3rd 2016. Which of course they have missed as no update has come out. No one at rogers has any information other than re-iterating what shows on the site. I've worked for a mobile company whose employees were in essence beta testers as they recieved the latest builds before they were released. So i've dealt with bugs glitches and such. I would prefer to get a stable build with a few bugs and get frequent updates to fix them rather than wait for everythign to be perfect. In software there is no perfect and bugs will always be there. So rogers think about offering a beta signup for those of us willing to live with bugs just to get the latest build.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @wilescave

That would be a great idea but unfortunately Rogers nor any carrier does that. They rather have their developers and us to test it lol.
Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 in conversation