OS Upgrade page - no Samsung s6 edge PLUS

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: OS Upgrade page - no Samsung s6 edge PLUS

Maybe, wish they would let us know.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@GibMcFragger wrote:
I seem to have the nasty Marshmallow Wi-Fi battery drain bug in this build. Maybe Rogers is sitting on the update until the fixed version is released.

Is that specific to Sammy devices? My G3 battery life has close to doubled since the 6.0 update.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Not sure. I am going to do a factory reset (ug) and see if that helps. It may just be reporting incorrectly, because

battery life isn't horrible.

The funny thing is that the Edge+ model number (G928W8) is the same Canada wide, as is the software. The update is multi CSC, and sets the CSC code for Rogers, Bell, etc, on boot. It just looks at what SIM you have installed. There is absolutely NO reason for Rogers to sit on the update. UNLESS there is a bug they know about, and are waiting on an update. The bug would have to have popped up by now somewhere though, as Bell, Telus, etc, are all running same same version Rogers is sitting on.

Honestly, if you don't want to wait, just download the Bell or Telus version and flash it with ODIN. It's literally identical. I even did a factory reset today and it had all the preloaded Rogers apps on it after. That was the BELL VERSION. Like I said, it's the same update for all carriers. It just varies the install based on your the provider of your SIM card.

I Plan to Stick Around

Personally, I'm tired of always getting my updates last. I have 1 year left on my contract and then so long. They all offer the same plans and pricing anyway, so I might as well go with the one that offers faster updates. I'd probably even pay extra to be assured quick firmware updates (ie. on or shortly after Nexus), but it's probably best not to give them any ideas.

I would almost lay money on the fact that - when we finally do get the update - it will be a newer build than the BPC5 that the other carriers released. That happened with the LG G4 when it first came out. Rogers was the last to update it. When they did, it was a newer build that had all the fixes (touchscreen, etc) in it. The other carriers updated AGAIN to match Rogers' build after.

Yes, it sucks to wait. I would rather wait and get a bug free build. That's the only logical reason that Rogers is sitting on the update. All the carriers are given the update build at the same time, and EVERY other carrier in Canada (including the smaller localized ones) have released Marshmallow for the S6E+.

I am running that build (BPC5), because I flashed the Bell version, and battery life is WORSE than 5.1.1. so far. Doze is basically broken, and the Wi-Fi randomly drains the battery when not connected to a network. Before you ask, yes, I have factory reset it. No difference.

I really do hope Rogers is going to release a newer build in the end. So far my (and tons of others on different carriers running MM on their S6E+) are having issues. Samsung really sucks at releasing stable software. Their hardware is ace, but the software (Touchwiz, etc), not so much.... 

I Plan to Stick Around

It's not just about getting a bug free build. There are numerous known security flaws in the current 5.1.1 release, as is always the case after a build has been out for some time. Since many/most people use their phones in the same capacity as a PC (email, banking, shopping, etc), getting updates out to customers in a timely fashion should be a top priority.

I'll remind you that the first S6 devices started getting updates back on January 30th. There is no reason we should be seeing 3-4 month or longer delays.

It's also worth noting that Apple devices don't have this limitation. When an iOS update rolls out, everyone gets it at once. When a security flaw becomes known, a patch release is sent out without the need for carrier intervention. Why aren't Samsung and other Android devices given the same treatment?

In any case, if Rogers really wanted to give us better builds, they'd be releasing more frequently, not less.

I'm Here A Lot

This is not a solution. When will Rogers update the OS update schedule? In particular S6 Edge Plus... which has been on the list of first updated Samsung devices from other carriers.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @P_Stickman

Unfortunately that is a answer you will be waiting until the actually do update the page. They won't release much information until the back end let's them. I wish i could have given u a better answer as one of my friends is waiting for this update as well.
I've Been Around

Any idea when we are having update for Samsung S6 Edge Plus?