Note 5 and Bluetooth Reception

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Note 5 and Bluetooth Reception

Recently I have been experiencing degrading bluetooth functionality.  I've tested my Note 5, Galaxy S4 and Tab Pro 8.4.  Using my room as a base (3rd Floor), both the S4 and Tab Pro 's reception was normal even when I went to the second floor.  Unfortunately, the Note 5 audio started to stutter the moment I was out the the line of sight (probably 10 feet straight through the wall).  I am not sure if this is a current problem with all current Note 5 but if not, would I be able to get a replacement when I go to a Rogers Store?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Note 5 and Bluetooth Reception

Hello @Gregole

My iPhone 6S Plus does that sometimes and so did my Note 4. It's normal sometimes but again u never know. Unfortunately Rogers stores do not give out replacements. They will send your device into the repair center to see what is going on. For the time being they will give u a loaner phone ( might not be the same as yours). That can take 1-2 weeks.
I Plan to Stick Around

Went to a Rogers store today and they told me that I have 2 choices.  First one was for Rogers to send the phone for repairs that would tale 1-2 week or go the Samsung Repair Center in Richmond BC as they said it would be faster.  One might choose to go directly to the repair center but after looking up,  I see alot of bad reviews about poor customer service, sudden liquid damage and cheap parts.  Have never sent a phone for repairs so which would best suit the situation.  Directly dealing through the repair center or just get Rogers to do it?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gregole

I would highly recommend just sending it in via Rogers and just track it. This way you know that things will get repaired and if you have a issue. They will take care of you. I used the Samsung support Center and have had issues but again not everyone will.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah good call. Owned S2 LTE and S4 and nothing like this ever happened. I wish I didn't update the OTA and just left it at Factory default, blasted firmware update killed my Bluetooth.  I might be able to re-use my old S4, then again it uses a microsim

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gregole

Exactly. Hopefully everything works out at the end and it works!
I've Been Here Awhile

Here is a tale of 2 Note 5's  or more like 4 Note 5's.  I got mine in September of 2015.  It upgraded to 5.1.1 and shortly after that the bluetooth stopped working.  I put the phone on my service monitor and alas there was no signal from the bluetooth unless it was in direct contact with the antenna.  DOA right?  Rogers did the right thing and sent me a new Note 5.  In January we got a second Note 5 to replace the S3.  Now this is where it gets interesting.  My replacement Note's bluetooth did the same thing on the weekend.  No warning, just stopped working.  I cleared the cache (both file and the bluetooth app).  Cleared the bluetooth data and restarted the phone.  No joy.  Did a hard reset wiped the enitre phone and no joy.  All 4 of the bluetooth devices will connect to my computer,  a friends phone and work as expected so I have ruled out the headsets.  Back to the service monitor I go and alas no signal on bluetooth unless it is in physical contact with the antenna and then a neg 90 to 120.  I call rogers and complain.  They ship me a referb Note 5.  Out of the box and no bluetooth.  Service monitor again in direct contact with the antenna neg 85 to 110.  So the other Note 5 we purchased in January started doing the same thing.  Put it on the service monitor and it shows a neg 75 6" from the antenna and drops very sharply to no signal at 2 feet.  Tested the S3 and have a neg 10 to neg 30 at 10 feet.  So I ask.  Is it the Android 5.1.1 or has Samsung completely screwed the pooch with the Note 5 bluetooth engine?  I need bluetooth as my income is directly tied to the phone.  

Anybody have any other suggestions I have not thougth of or is it time to pack it in with Samsung and go back to the dark side oh ah imean Iphone

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @darker01

Have you tried to contact Samsung Canada directly about this or if you are near a Samsung Experience store go in and have them service it?. That would be the best bet as if it's a Samsung problem, they would log it and see what's going on. Rogers can only do so much. I haven't heard many complaining about it on 5.1.1 yet.
I've Been Here Awhile

Google Samsung Note 5 Bluetooth issues.  Pages and pages and pages.  some suggestions on how to fix it.  but mostly just works sometimes but when it craps out it is done.  I cannot be without my phone.  I got rid of the tablet and got the note so I didn't have to carry 2 devices since I do inspection reports on the phone I am not working for each day I don't have the phone.  

I do agree there is only so much that Rogers can do but in my opion they are not there yet.  Speaking to a couple of tecs on another carrier where the techs themselvs have had bluetooth issues  they tried marshmellow and it seemed to fix it.  

Samsung approved marshmellow for the note5 on march 24.  I have been trying to convince them to send me a copy (less bloatware) so that I can see if this resolves the problem.  

Next step is loyalty and retention and trade in the samsungs for iphones.