Note 5 - Pengate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Note 5 - Pengate

@Meowmix

I agree - I mean I blame samsung fully for witch craft and following iPhone design and losing out on features...
but not for the "Pengate" - I think people need to start owning up to their own faults.

I believe in tech, a lot of people lack common sense - too overwhlemed by the multiple features maybe?

Not counting folks who never use smart phones, or not aware how things work. Those folks make honest mistake, and isn't common sense to them...

Had a conversation with my English Major friend a while back about the word "Common Sense".
It's loosely used - Common sense is only common to the person who knows the information.
*Shrug* which happens to be us techies.
I M H O
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ShakTiburon

I won't blame the customers that have never used a smartphone before or a phone at all but they should be able to read the manual that comes with the device or search before doing something. That is something i will say.

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi Hi @Meowmix

Yea but those exact customers who haven't been up to date with tech also expect all the important stuff in paper not digital 'print' to be honest.

Spoiler
One of my Outdoor Radio had digital manual and in it had a huge warning of removing a plastic piece from the radio before it becomes "waterproof" ... like wut? there was no sticker, pointer on the radio itself... so if I didn't actually open up the pdf file (that I downloaded myself) i would have never guessed that because of that plastic piece staying there, rain water would damage the radio. Even though I specifically bought it for Waterproof function.

Just saying, I can see both sides of it.
But "common sense" is not common as much as we think it is... specially in tech.
Everyone is at different levels. Not disagreeing but being a Devil's advocate here.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ShakTiburon

I agree with you on that but again i do see both sides as i do work in this industry & can\t tell you how many people act smart & act like they know something yet they either ask me or ask to see the manual lol.

Either way i go with what i said, manual is easy to ready & everyone should do it & stop acting like they know the product & how to use it 😉
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi @Meowmix

*narf* wut iz dis ting u sey manual? 😄

and Very well; Touché
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @SkakTib

HAHA very good one:P
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

😛
wpd
I Plan to Stick Around

Guys, while I understand the message you're trying to convey from a high level, I don't necessarily agree that this is simply a " common sense " issue. Common sense to me would be to not immerse the phone in water so, don't take the phone in the water with you to take pictures. There are all kinds of people with varying levels of expertise and knowledge. Can't paint one brush across everyone, but if you're going to do that, you have to look at it from the lowesst level of understanding.

Engineering 101 - if you don't want something to go a certain way, then don't design it that way. I don't believe this was intentionally built this way, I think it was an oversight.

If putting the pen in the device backwards will cause damage, it should have been engineered to prevent this from happening. This is a preventable problem on Samsung's behalf. This is in their control. Further, the phone does not come with a manual or any other warning regarding the pen. In fact, Canadian phones ( Rogers anway ) do not include a manual on the device or in the box. Jessica Dolcourt ( CNET ) sent me a screen shot of the USA Note 5 and in the system settings, under " system", there's a " user manual " app. Seems to be absent in Canada. If the solution is to " read the manual", Samsung is doing nothing to ensure the average person can get a manual.

View solution in original post

malkaman
I've Been Here Awhile

I know its a bit late and all, but Samsung did admit it was a bit of a design flaw and tried to fix it with a new warning on the sticker on the front of the phone.  after this did not really fix things they redesigned the motherboard to permanently fix it.

To those people saying that it should be common sense, you dont really understand what common sense means.  Common sense implies that nearly all people will do things the same way without debate.  50/50, 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 and even 90/10 is not common sense.  if samsung went as far as to redesign their hardware then it is definately not common sense.

http://www.androidincanada.ca/android-phones/pengate-no-more-samsung-has-fixed-the-note-5/