Note 5 - Pengate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Note 5 - Pengate

Lot's of noise now on the issue of putting the pen in backwards and the damage resulting from this. People are saying that this was not possible with the previous Note versions, or at least, there was some form of resistance on all previous models. I know with my Note 4 that I could place the pen in backwards part way ( I'm not going to attempt full insertion ) without any resistance.

Has anyone attempted, or accidently inserted the Note 4 pen in the wrong way and if so, any issue ?

****Edit Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Note 5 - Pengate

Hello @wpd

LOL @pengate... Its not really a Pengate. Its people not paying attention to the paperwork Samsung has given & read them. They think it will just like the previous models but it doesnt. This pen is different & not the same. 

I just tried it & yes there is a issue but that is because i am putting it backwards & the wrong way.

From Samsung = 

"We highly recommend our Galaxy Note5 users follow the instructions in the user guide to ensure they do not experience such an unexpected scenario caused by reinserting the S Pen in the other way around,” says the company’s statement." 

manual.0.png

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not neccessarily in support of what's going on. That said, I'm sure I could put the Note 4 pen in backwards as well but never heard of any issues with people doing this, until the Note 5.

Logically, I've never inserted the pen wrong side in before and didn't need any pamphlet or instruction to point this out to me. Just like I don't need Samsung to tell me to not drop the phone.

Some of the arguments being presented are if a kid is using dad's phone and pushes the pen in the wrong way. Well, that could happen I guess but, as I recall, kids were putting sandwhiches and cookies into the VCR slot, as well as putting tapes in backwards and I don't ever recall someone blaming the manufacturer or seeking free repairs from such activity. Another situation presented is people using the phone in the dark. I've tried this several times and in now way was I not able to distinguish the right side of the pen to insert.

It may be of interest for a future version to have some form of " stop " to prevent inserting the wrong way, but I'm struggling with this being viewed as a " design flaw ", considering I can " likely"  do the same with my Note 4 but have never heard of an issue prior to the Note 5.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @wpd

Well its common sense no? People should know not to put it backwards as it could damage the device or S-pen it self. Common sense is common... Its like me putting backwards a USB stick & damaging the USB & USB stick. Its common sense that you would know which way it goes. That is WHY the manual is there. For people to read it. Many do not want to read it as they think they know everything which they dont unfortantly & yet this happens. 

Exactly! Samsung can not be responsible if someones kid takes the device and damages it by accident or inserts the pen the wrong way. Samsung makes devices to give to people, the people are responsible to keep them safe & sound & if they give it to the kid, take the s-pen out. That is what my buddy has done. Everytime his child wants to use his Note 4, he takes the pen out or gives it to him & asks for it back. Ever since i was growing up, i as putting sandwiches into my dads VCR & yet i was blamed, not Sony ( The VCR manufactore) 

I seen the argument but its called common sense. Thats all. Its not a design flaw as many pointed out. If we call this a design flaw per say, they we have to call a design flaw for putting video tapes the wrong way, CD's, DVD;s & bluerays the wrong way & other things. I was reading the article at MS & many said the same.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Agreed. It's not an issue of a defect, it's an issue of common sense. Or at least reading how to use that $800.00 phone you just got.

On a side note, I hate how people stick "-gate" at the end of every controversy. It's silly.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lockdown2341

Agreed. As I said above its common sense for someone to read a manual or atleast not put it backwards...

It's getting old adding the "gate" at the end of everything. Not really liking it anymore
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm the messenger and since it's being communicated as a "gate" issue, I just used the reference for easy identification. I could care less about the "gate" reference, it doesn't bother me.

That said, the original question that this thread posed was if someone had inserted the pen backwards into a Note 4.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

As @Meowmix stated, they tried to do so and there was an issue. But the issue is because the pen is being inserted incorrectly.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @wpd

No worries brother. It's just everyone uses it and there is no point to it.

As I said. Inserting the pen backwards in the Note 4 will cause damage inside.
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

O__O"

... I have no words ...