No more Samsung Galaxy S5?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No more Samsung Galaxy S5?

I love the Galaxy S5.  
I like the ability to swap out the battery, upgrade the memory with an SD card and I really like the fact that it is waterproof.

It looks like Rogers is no longer going to offer it, and has already replaced it with the Galaxy S5 "neo".

Lacking in the Neo version is the Scratch-resistant glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 3), the 4K video camcorder AND I think the full IP67 waterproof certification.

Can anyone help me accept this?  My family has 2 contracts expiring and I want two S5s.

Why would Samsung / Rogers do this?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: No more Samsung Galaxy S5?

Hello @BuckMacklin

Honestly you won't get the answer you are looking for. The S5 is 2 years old if u almost think about it and since Samsung brought out the Galaxy S5 Neo they rather have carriers sell that then the S5. Again it's not the carriers fault. Samsung and other manufacturers  can pull out any device they like at any time and promote the other ones without a carrier saying anything. Do remember agreements between carriers and manufacturers have a Claus that this can happen. Rogers has only a few things it can do. Order, sell, update and pull them off the shelves if they are told too.  Some stores do have S5 still available for customers. You can call and see which ones do have them in stock.

Again wait for the S7 which is supposed to debut within a couple of weeks / Feb. I know its supposed to be water resistant and also come with a SD card but no removable battery.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BuckMacklin wrote:

I love the Galaxy S5.  
I like the ability to swap out the battery, upgrade the memory with an SD card and I really like the fact that it is waterproof.

It looks like Rogers is no longer going to offer it, and has already replaced it with the Galaxy S5 "neo".

Lacking in the Neo version is the Scratch-resistant glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 3), the 4K video camcorder AND I think the full IP67 waterproof certification.

Can anyone help me accept this?  My family has 2 contracts expiring and I want two S5s.

Why would Samsung / Rogers do this?

***edited labels***

I firmly maintain that your best bet is to find the phone you like through a third party such as Amazon and order it there - unlocked. I even hear that Rogers will even give a discount if you bring your own phone! There is no need to be tied to Rogers for the device you want to use!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JohhnyRockets

I am pretty sure the OP has. Rogers account. So if they do, that option isn't valid then. Bring ur own device and get a discount is if u open a NEW account and not have it on a existing line. If the OP doesn't have a wireless account with Rogers then yes it will work.

But yes the OP can get a unlocked S5 on Amazon or Kijiji and make sure the Seller is legit and check the phone out before buying it.

Highlighted

Are you telling me that a customer who already has an account with Rogers cannot get a discount for providing their own phone from a 3rd party? Unbeleivable!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JohhnyRockets

If they have a wireless account with Rogers then no. They can only get the BYOD discount if they activate a new account with the cellphone they are bringing over. If you contact Rogers and tell them " i just got a device, i want a discount on my wireless bill" they won't do it.

All carriers are like this so I don't see why u aren't to surprised about it..
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello Community,

In regards to bringing your own device and getting a reduced monthly price plan, all lines new or existing are eligible.

We have three different categorized price plans depending on the device.

If it is a Rogers subsidized device, it will either be in the Premium or Smart Tab category.

If you bring your own device to use, it will be considered No Tab.

As long as you bring this to our attention, we will change the plan accordingly to reflect this.

Keep in mind, likely you will need to change your price plan.

In the future if you decide to do a hardware upgrade through Rogers, you will need to change this plan as it will no longer be a No Tab plan.

I can see how this information can be beneficial to the OP if they decide to go the third party route in purchasing the device, however let's try to keep the content on topic.

As @Meowmix mentioned, as new devices are released the older devices will be phased out.

Regards,

RogersMay

Highlighted

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @JohhnyRockets

If they have a wireless account with Rogers then no. They can only get the BYOD discount if they activate a new account with the cellphone they are bringing over. If you contact Rogers and tell them " i just got a device, i want a discount on my wireless bill" they won't do it.

All carriers are like this so I don't see why u aren't to surprised about it..

Well I guess @RogersMay clarified things. "In regards to bringing your own device and getting a reduced monthly price plan, all lines new or existing are eligible." I was sure that this was the case, as it is with other carriers as well.  I was only surprised by your reply!

@RogersMay wrote:

I can see how this information can be beneficial to the OP if they decide to go the third party route in purchasing the device, however let's try to keep the content on topic.

I do not believe that we have gone off-topic. The OP @BuckMacklin wanted to keep using the Samsung Galaxy S5. Yes, I am aware that as new devices become available, old ones are phased out. So the perfect solution for the OP is to purchase the S5 through a 3rd party and get a BYOD discount. I am glad to see that he can do this!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RogersMay

With all due respect, we aren't going off topic here. We are letting the customer know that they can go to the store and get the device if a Rogers store has one or buy own outright online. That's not going of topic as we are giving the OP a SOLUTION to his question. We do this with post threads so i don't see how this one is going " off topic"..

If Rogers doesn't carry the device anymore. We as a community have to help the user find a store or online site to buy it from if the OP is looking for that specific device. This is what a peer to peer forum does. So in anyway I don't think we are going off topic.

Key is to help your customer out finding the specific device in store or let them know there are legit sites which sell the device so they can buy the device so they can use it on their Rogers account and to keep them as a customer if they choose too.

Highlighted

@Meowmix

You are definitely correct on this point. In no way, shape or form has this thread gone off topic!