cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Video with Google Hangouts Video Call or Live Video on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

jvetro
I plan to stick around

I am unable to connect to video on a Google Hangouts Call when using Rogers Cellular Data.  I have no issues with this when connected to any type of Wifi network.  I am also unable to connect to my Ring Video Doorbell Pro Live View or answer any doorbell Rings when connected on Rogers Cellular Data, but again works perfect on any type of Wifi.

I have a Google Pixel Phone, unrooted, running the latest OS.  All apps are up to date.

Please Help!!!!

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No Video with Google Hangouts Video Call or Live Video on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

jvetro
I plan to stick around

I believe it is an issue with the Ring Application on Android running Nougat or Oreo.  I have reached out to them and they say they are working on a fix.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Re: No Video with Google Hangouts Video Call or Live Video on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

RogersMoin

Hello, @jvetro

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. The issue raised is technically intriguing, when was the last time it worked? I'm thinking it may be related to background data restrictions. You can check if it's enabled by going to Settings/Data Usage.

@Community, @Pauly - any other inputs regarding this issue? Anyone else experiencing no video in Google Hangouts when on Cellular Data?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

ltuff1
I've been here awhile

Any progress on this? I also cannot access Live Video on either of my Ring Pro doorbells on either of my Android phones (an S7 and an S7 Edge) when on only a mobile connection (all work fine when connected to any WiFi either local or remote). There are reports on the web that this has to do with ipv6 or 4G/3G/LTE but changing my phone preferences in this regard doesn't seem to make any difference. LT

Hello, @ltuff1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining the conversation. Have you checked the background data restrictions on your phones as suggested in the previous message? All the new phones on the Rogers Wireless Network are by default use IPv6. Did a quick search and it doesn't seem to be a Carrier Network specific issue. Have you reached out to the product support yet?

@jvetro - Were you able to find a solution?

Keep us posted.

Regards,

RogersMoin

jvetro
I plan to stick around

I believe it is an issue with the Ring Application on Android running Nougat or Oreo.  I have reached out to them and they say they are working on a fix.

Hello, @jvetro

I appreciate the quick update. Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Re: No Live Video on Ring Doorbell Pro

zkhan
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have the same issue. No Video on the Ring Doorbell Pro. Its definitely the issue on the Rogers sides. here is how I can explain. I am using Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with updated OS.

1. Works on WIFI with no problems. Tried at my family and friends house.  ( So it cannot be the Android OS)

2. Works using a Hotspot with no problems. (My friend created a Hotspot on his phone using the service "WIND"

All the above troubleshooting explains that its not a problem with the OS, Ring Application, Permissions on the phone, nor the Brand of the phone.

Everything points to Rogers network and it looks like they need to open the port.........

Please help.

Zulkarnain Khan

zkhan
I've been here awhile

Found the Fix.

For those who couldn't get Live-view to work and are on Rogers network, try changing these on your access point on the phone and it works great.

Settings--->Connections---->Mobile networks---->Access Point names---->

Click on "Rogers LTE"

Look for "APN Protocol"

Change it to "IPv4"

Let me know how it goes.

regards,

Zulkarnain Khan

jvetro
I plan to stick around
I tried on my Google Pixel device and my options are greyed out and cannot be changed.

jvetro
I plan to stick around

Again, I have confirmed again that it is an issue with the Ring app and not the carrier.  I had a friend of mine try on a different network, other than Rogers, running on a Galaxy S7 and his live feed would not work either.  I had someone else try on an older device running Lollipop, and his live feed was perfect!

zkhan
I've been here awhile
Hi,
Did you try the following settings, I had the same issue and this fixed it.

Settings--->Connections---->Mobile networks---->Access Point names---->

Click on "Rogers LTE"
Look for "APN Protocol"
Change it to "IPv4"

jvetro
I plan to stick around

I tried to create an additional APN with the settings from the default Rogers Internet APN, using IPv4, however I am unable to set the "Bearer" settings to the different protocols (LTE, HSPA, etc...).  the page comes up for me to select them, but I have no way of saving them.  I have a Google Pixel running Oreo.

I did speak to Ring support and they suggested this as well but I cannot figure out how to change it.  Any help will be appreciated.

ltuff1
I've been here awhile

Ooh nice! I'd tried turning off IPv6 in several other places on my S7 Edge and had no luck, but doing this worked! It also worked on my wife's Galaxy S7. Both of us are able to access live video when only on a mobile network (i.e. no Wi-Fi) now. Thanks!

jvetro
I plan to stick around
It worked for my wife's S7, however, my apn settings are locked down on my Google Pixel. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hello @jvetro,

It's very strange that the APN settings are locked down on your Google Pixel, you should be able to modify it whenever you like. Is it only the APN Protocol setting for IPv6 that you are unable to modify or are you unable to modify any of the settings at all?

If it is only the APN Protocol setting then the Google Pixel may be locked to IPv6 without the ability to switch to IPv4. If that is indeed the case then you will need to wait on Ring support to see if they can implement a fix to resolve issues with IPv6.

I am speculating a bit here but if anyone in the Community Forums has some knowledge on this feel free to chime in.

RogersTony

jvetro
I plan to stick around
It is all of my apn settings which are locked down.

Hello, @jvetro

Are the APN Settings not available for editing after the Oreo update? Is there any update pending to be applied? I suggest removing the SIM card and power cycling the device. Once the device is powered up insert the SIM card then the device should start authentication process with the tower and download all the required settings. Hopefully, now you may have access to edit APN settings. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jvetro
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoin @RogersTony

I have tried the last method you provided by removing the SIM Card, power cycling the phone and inserting the SIM card again, but all the APN Settings are still grayed out.  I have also tried resetting all network settings, and that did not work either.  I also checked with a friend of min who has the same phone (Pixel) on the Rogers network, and his phone has the same issue.  I am not sure if this started with Oreo or Nougat as I did not try to check these settings when it was still on Nougat.

Any other additional help will be appreciated.

Hi @jvetro!

Was this Google Pixel purchased directly from us or from another source?

RogersCorey

jvetro
I plan to stick around
The phone was purchased from Rogers. I spoke to Google tech support and they said to speak with Rogers support as the APN settings are Rogers controlled.

Hello @jvetro

I have discussed this matter at length with our second level of support. They have advised that the APN settings on the Google Pixel devices they've tested are also greyed out. The only way to modify this would be to create a new APN profile and mirror the exact same settings as the current APN with the exception of the APN Protocol which would need to be set to IPv4. 

You mentioned having issues with the "Bearer" settings when you attempted to do this previously, what exactly is happening? Can you send us some screenshots of what happens when you try as well as the APN settings you are using for us to review?

Keep us posted!

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 13 in conversation