Nexus 6P Falling Back on 3G/HSPA

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Nexus 6P Falling Back on 3G/HSPA

Have other Nexus 6P users been observing the same issue?

Just had my phone for a about a week and performed the all the latest Android updates/patches (Marshmallow 6.0.1).  For some reason, my device has been rarely connecting to LTE, always falling back to 3G (UMTS) or HSPA+ - Switching between those 2 regularly.  This is occurring regardless of where I am in the GTA (suburbs or core areas).

The online android forums have been reporting this issue acrosse carriers.

Is it a software or device issue? or is it network related.

Thanks!

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: Nexus 6P Falling Back on 3G/HSPA

Hello @papa_josef,

It wouldn't be a network issue, as it would apply to all devices not just Nexus 6P in the area. In this case GTA. I am in Toronto, and my Note 5 has LTE constantly, no drops.

I know spec-wise, Nexus 6 is LTE, so I believe most likely a software issue. I haven't played with any Marshmallow 6.0.1, so it 'may' be the android glitch/error or something different.

I do want to tag @Meowmix if he knows anything about this. As this is actually the first time I have heard about this.

Thanks for bringing it to the community's attention.

Can anyone else say anything about this matter? Any one experiencing this in the GTA?

RogersShakir

I Plan to Stick Around

Noticed this myself on mine,went into my cellular network settings to have a look,did not change anything backed out and it started using lte again. Maybe this causes the settings to refresh

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually see another fix that been reported  go into your network settings and change from lte to 3g  restart phone then change back to lte,should get you going.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Tiger99. I'll try that way. I tried that but with no restart in between. I've also tried turning Airplane mode on then off. Only a temp fix until I shut down my phone.
I'm Here A Lot

UPDATE!

Called Tech Support on Wednesday. They reset my device's network connection and after a few minutes, LTE kicked in.

Yesterday, I was on LTE all day.

But I noticed something: if the device boots connecting to a WiFi network,  LTE doesn't connect (even if connected to WiFi, the network status will still indicate LTE).  When I leave the WiFi zone, it switches only to 3G/HSPA.

I tried booting my device with WiFi shutoff (shut off WiFi before powering down), and LTE connected and stayed connected all day (even when connecting to a WiFi network).

I'm wondering if it's not the Google Connectivity Service that's causing the issue.  I'm going to disable it and see what happens at next power up.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So tests confirmed it.

I just don't know what the root cause is but now I noticed that it's definitely a software issue.

With Google Connectivity Service Disabled and Enabled.

1. Shut down device with WiFi on.

2. Turn on phone (WiFi will be on automatically).

3.  Device Network Status: UMTS or HSPA

4. Turn off WiFi, Device Network Status still remains on UMTS or HSPA+

With Google Connectivity Service Disabled and Enabled.

1. Shut down device with WiFi off.

2. Turn on phone.

3.  Device Network Status: LTE

4. Turn on WiFi, Device Network Status still remains on LTE

I'm Here A Lot

UPDATE

The latest security updates from Google (March 7, 2016) seemed to have addressed the LTE connectivity issues on the Nexus 6P.

Build MHC19I

We can mark this case as RESOLVED. 🙂

Hey @papa_josef

Thanks for the update:). I'm glad the issue is now resolved.

RogersZia 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation