New phone not recognizing old sim card?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

New phone not recognizing old sim card?

I recent;y upgraded to a hand-me-down Galaxy Note 4 and it is not recognizing my sim card. It worked fine for the previous owner (family member) so I am unsure of what could be the issue. I did have the sim card cut a bit to fit the new phone (standard size to micro size) and as far as I can tell, only the plastic was cut off and none of the metallic part was cut. I have tried general steps I have seen online including a factory reset of the phone. If I require a new sim, what are my options? Will it change anything about my profile (phone number, account balance, etc.?)

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New phone not recognizing old sim card?

The previous owner..  it was a rogers phone on the rogers network?

If its a Bell phone, it may be locked to the bell network.
The Note4 was out at the time that they were still network locked (vs the NEWER ones are now not locked)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, if the phone was previously on an other provider and was "locked", the previous owner will need to call that provider with his phone information and get it unlocked. This usually takes only a few hours to unlock.  He'll probably need the phone's IMEI number.

When I was given a phone by my generous neighbour, I went into the Rogers store, had my SIM cut and the phone tested at that time. No issues.  If you need a new SIM, you usually need to pay a small fee like $10.  If possible, I suggest you visit a Rogers store. You get to keep your number, etc.

I'm Here A Lot

Previous owner was on Rogers too so no issues there. I'll visit a store and try that out as keeping my current number is ideal. Thanks