cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need recommendation for Anti-spyware for LG phone

caroloon
I've been here awhile

I have just got a new LG G6 cell phone a month ago, and twice already I have had Spyware attack my Chrome browser... disabling me from opening up Chrome.  A Roger's tech support person helped me reset my Chrome.  I don't want this to happen again, so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a great virus or spyware APP for my LG phone?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need recommendation for Anti-spyware for LG phone

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@caroloon wrote:

I have just got a new LG G6 cell phone a month ago, and twice already I have had Spyware attack my Chrome browser... disabling me from opening up Chrome.  A Roger's tech support person helped me reset my Chrome.  I don't want this to happen again, so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a great virus or spyware APP for my LG phone?

***Edited Labels***

I personally have never run any third party virus protection. I do however ensure my phone is running the latest firmware/software. This is VERY important as Google puts out monthly security patches that are included in these system updates. 

Also I only download apps through the Google Play Store, and ensure play protect is enabled which scans all installed apps for malware/virus. Be sure in your phone settings that "Install from unknown sources" is disabled, this ensures only apps from the Google Play Store can be installed, those apps are generally more trustworthy. 

However at this point I think your device is compromised, so I would suggest backing up your contacts/photos and performing a factory reset on your phone. Don't backup any apps or settings because those could be compromised. After your factory reset your device you will need to set everything back up from scratch since this will delete everything on the phone. Once the phone is setup I would load your contacts back onto the device then only install apps from the Google Play Store. Be sure after doing the factory reset to check the phones firmware for updates, you can do this from settings -> about device. 

Where did you purchase this device? Was it purchased directly from Rogers, or from another reputable retailer like Best Buy? Or was it purchased used/ebay/ unknown seller? Some Shady places could actually root your device or install malware on the phone that can survive factory resets because the malware is built into the recovery.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @caroloon,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Robot Happy!

I'm sorry to hear your phone was compromised, considering how new it is, I can definitely understand how that can be concerning. Luckily you've come to the right place. Our Resident Experts @Meowmix and @gp-se have a wealth of knowledge in this field and I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you :).

Community, please also feel free to chime in!

RogersCilio

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@caroloon wrote:

***Edited Labels***

I personally have never run any third party virus protection. I do however ensure my phone is running the latest firmware/software. This is VERY important as Google puts out monthly security patches that are included in these system updates. 

Also I only download apps through the Google Play Store, and ensure play protect is enabled which scans all installed apps for malware/virus. Be sure in your phone settings that "Install from unknown sources" is disabled, this ensures only apps from the Google Play Store can be installed, those apps are generally more trustworthy. 

However at this point I think your device is compromised, so I would suggest backing up your contacts/photos and performing a factory reset on your phone. Don't backup any apps or settings because those could be compromised. After your factory reset your device you will need to set everything back up from scratch since this will delete everything on the phone. Once the phone is setup I would load your contacts back onto the device then only install apps from the Google Play Store. Be sure after doing the factory reset to check the phones firmware for updates, you can do this from settings -> about device. 

Where did you purchase this device? Was it purchased directly from Rogers, or from another reputable retailer like Best Buy? Or was it purchased used/ebay/ unknown seller? Some Shady places could actually root your device or install malware on the phone that can survive factory resets because the malware is built into the recovery.

caroloon
I've been here awhile

Thanks for your response.  I purchased my phone from a Roger's store.

The 1st time I got the spyware attacking my Chrome browser (a couple of weeks ago), I took it in to a Roger's store and they performed the factory reset for me as you described.  The 2nd time I got the spyware attack (this morning), I phoned Rogers tech support and she walked me through doing a disable of Chrome (deleting it all together) and then adding it back.  She suggested I clear the cache on a regular basis.

All of the apps I have are from the Play Store.  I will next install the latest firmware/software as you suggested.

Thank you

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @caroloon

In my opinion it seems like your device has been somehow compromised. A fresh reinstall would do best.

Back up everything excluding the apps. Do a factory reset and reinstall all the apps again. Hopefully this puts a end to it.

However I have heard some stories where the device even though after a factory reset is done, it can still be compromised again. So if u don't feel safe using the device after u do the factory reset or even now, contact Rogers or @CommunityHelps and see if they can swap out the device with another G6 for you. Security is always a key to make sure all is safe.

Hopefully this puts a end to it and you won't have this problem.

penzioner
I plan to stick around

My wife's on Android and has been using Eset Mobile Security for years and there's never been a problem.

The very best as far as I'm concerned.

604kev_
I plan to stick around

More times than not, anti-spyware/anti-virus/etc apps for Android are actually spyware and/or viruses themselves. Do not install or download any of them, is my professional recommendation as someone who works in mobile device security. Use standard security practices such as not sideloading APKs, not enabling debug/dev mode, etc, and only use known good apps on the Play Store. Do not grant apps permissions unless you know what they are doing.

------------------------------------
I have too many phones, ask me anything

caroloon
I've been here awhile

Thanks for your helpful tips.  Much appreciated!

caroloon
I've been here awhile

Thanks for your response. I will look into ESET.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation