Moving Contents of Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Moving Contents of Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S5

So I received my new Samsung Galaxy S5 in the mail yesterday. Obviously I'll want to move the entire contents of my S3 onto my S5. What is the best way to do this to ensure I have everything? ie: contacts, calender, SMS, pictures, ringtones, apps, etc.

I did a backup using Easy Backup but that doesn't include pictures or apps. It only backs up things like contacts, calender, SMS. I backed up all those items onto my S3 SIM card.

So now what? Before I power up the S5 for the first time, do I put the SIM card from the S3 into it or do I insert the SIM card that came with the S5, setup the new phone and then concern myself with copying everything over? I'd like to make this process as uncomplicated as possible yet not miss anything.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Kathy

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Moving Contents of Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S5

Hi @kathy64 ,

Thank you for your question.

There are a couple ways to back up or transfer files such as photos or apps.

Samsung Kies : is an easy-to-use, one-step program that makes managing multiple mobile devices a breeze. Quick and intuitive, it lets you back up, copy, and transfer content stored on your phone, computer, and other devices with a simple click and drag. What's more, it syncs up your text messages, contacts and calendar with Outlook, helping you streamline your life at work and play.

Saving content to your desktop : Connect your Current Samsung S3 to your desktop then save your photos to a folder. Connect your new device then drag photos from the folder to the new device (Samsung S5).

In regards to your apps, you could download these apps again from the Play Store on your new device (there should be no charge for apps you have already purchased). Also you would not need to put the old SIM card in the new device for the transfer to take place.

The Samsung S5 is a great device, which I am sure you are eager to start using.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @kathy64 ,

Thank you for your question.

There are a couple ways to back up or transfer files such as photos or apps.

Samsung Kies : is an easy-to-use, one-step program that makes managing multiple mobile devices a breeze. Quick and intuitive, it lets you back up, copy, and transfer content stored on your phone, computer, and other devices with a simple click and drag. What's more, it syncs up your text messages, contacts and calendar with Outlook, helping you streamline your life at work and play.

Saving content to your desktop : Connect your Current Samsung S3 to your desktop then save your photos to a folder. Connect your new device then drag photos from the folder to the new device (Samsung S5).

In regards to your apps, you could download these apps again from the Play Store on your new device (there should be no charge for apps you have already purchased). Also you would not need to put the old SIM card in the new device for the transfer to take place.

The Samsung S5 is a great device, which I am sure you are eager to start using.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your response. Samsung Kies worked great!
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @kathy64 ,

You are welcome.

Thank you for posting your solution to the forums.

I am happy to hear all worked out well. Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @xnika

That and you can also back up ur device on Samsung Kies and it will do the trick. There are some apps that back up only certain thing of the devices. Make sure u look at those too.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

You can use an android data backup app to transfer contents from galaxy s3 to computer, then remove your galaxy s3 and connect s5 to computer and use the file manager app to export the contents from computer to Galaxy s5.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @nowk

Yes that has been advised above as well in some other posts :). Thanks though!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

this guide could also help: how to transfer contacts between samsung galaxy phones.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

To move contents of Samsung Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S5, it's easy with Phone to Phone Transfer tool. It can help us directly transfer contents like contacts, text messages, photos, videos, music, etc between mobile phones. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tuodan

Yes most of the proper channels and links are posted above!:)