Marshmallow visual voicemail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Marshmallow visual voicemail

Haha, yeah right!

This would be to easy for them to implement, they would rather us use their half baked version.

*sigh*
I'm Here A Lot

I don't think Rogers cares much about Android users, the iPhone marketshare in Canada is much larger.  Also, Google doesn't put as much pressure on carriers as Apple does - and Apple can get away with it due to their user install base.  That's my theory.

I've given up on trying to get voicemail from Rogers, and instead use a service called YouMail.  You pay them a small fee (or use their free service), and forward your calls to their number (they have local numbers across Canada).  When you don't pick up, it routes the call to their system which handles your voicemail.

Then on your phone you can use their app (which is admittedly kind of gross) or a 3rd party one called Better YouMail, which allows for direct integration into the Android call log.  If Rogers decided to implement a visual voicemail service, and charge for it, I'd gladly pay.  But instead I am forced to pay a 3rd party compnay, plus the fee for the call forwarding service.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Current market share in Canada - Apple 38.3%, Google Android of any version, 50.5%, and others like Blackberry and Windows is 11.2%

Apple and Samsung are about equal.

The challenge for android users is that the layout of apps for core services like email, calendar, text, phone, etc varies from company to company and feature sets are not standardized across providers, whereas with Apple, providers have no choice - Apple dictates what runs on their phones and how.

So we Android users, work around the limitations caused by that sector and lack of consistency by the providers.  As long as Android allows manufacturers to customize the feature set, and then providers can customize it further, we will be doing work arounds.

No fun, but the reality.  But don't let the Apple users' and the ads fool you - they are a major player for sure, but don't hold majority share, or even close to it, but they have managed to hold their ground and keep their apps, OS, and feature sets standardized and force one model on providers, so the consumer gets a predictable experience across their product line.

It is the same issue we run into with PC's and laptops and tablets, that feature sets, individualized apps for core features vary all over the place depending upon what brand name device you buy.

Blackberry used to impose the same model, but when they moved to Android, they dropped the strict standards and configurations.  Windows phones are all over the map too.

Ahh, technology - we used to have standardization when it was simpler - all TV's worked the same, all cable worked the same, our radios all worked the same, our phones all worked the same.  Now that our devices, all that I just mentioned, are mini computers with multiple feature sets built in depending upon the producer, it is like, so how do I program my new VCR?

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Nice post but is it relevant to this discussion? The app in question isn't the mail or the contacts or calendars but the phone app which seems pretty consistent. What is the big deal about unlocking a feature already baked into marshmallow and up that interacts with the phone app?
I've Been Here Awhile

Can any of the mods here take this feedback up with relevant Rogers team(s) as a feature request?

Is there a page that we customers can suggest /request features to Rogers like many others companies have for their products and services?

Sadly no Canadian carrier supports this feature even though it has been nearly two years since native support was introduced in Android. Here is an opportunity for Rogers to be the first.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @vi_m1c

They have. Unfortunately they can only pass along the information to them. It depends on the development team and management that runs it to make that decision.

You could complain here or to a manager calling in. Those are your only ways of giving feedback. There is no way to send feedback directly to them or near that team as they don't read complaints from the forums or emails. They only get what they are told but their management and or the MODS and that's if they do it.

Hopefully they do bring it out but I don't see it happening to be honest.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, @Meowmix!

If this has already been raised, sounds like chances are pretty slim, like you said.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe this will get Rogers attention!  Competition is always good!  ;-)

Telus now offers Android visual voicemail for Google Pixel, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/28/telus-now-offers-visual-voicemail-for-google-pixel-nexus-5x-and-n...

I Plan to Stick Around

Hmmm. What are those running? Nougat? Otherwise would bee an easy tweak for older devices.
I Plan to Stick Around

It says Oreo in the article.