cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marshmallow visual voicemail

supervillain
I plan to stick around

So android's latest OS marshmallow is finally getting native visual voicemail support.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07/15/android-m-feature-spotlight-android-m-will-have-proper-visua...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/8974555/android-visual-voicemail-native-m-preview

What are the chances of this getting implemented by Rogers?   I understand that it is a carrier side feature that needs to be activated or something.  iOS has had this for years so it shouldn't be too complicated for Rogers to accomplish?

Is this wishful thinking??

***Edited Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Marshmallow visual voicemail

seriosbrad
I plan to stick around

My 2-year contract is over in April and one of the features I will be looking for, that will help me decide which provider to choose, will be native Visual Voicemail support.  I've been with Rogers for over a decade, believe me, I know how slow Rogers is to support popular features that benefit the customer more than themselves.  Business is business.

@seriosbrad Rogers is actually the opposite of what you said. They were the first to put of VoLTE, WiFi calling, IPv6 over home internet, AND mobile network. And these feature aren't costing me anything extra, Rogers isn't making anymore money supporting these features.

seriosbrad
I plan to stick around

Yes, you make some good points for the backend services/infrastructure - and I agree! When it comes to Android and other software/OS features, hence this thread existing, they've been slow to adopt, or completely unsupportive.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @seriousbrad

Truth is that Rogers didn't agree to the terms Google had with the VVM as Rogers had their own VVM app which now has been decommissioned. The only OS that uses VVM is iOS but even then u have to pay $10 per month extra for that.

I do wonder if Rogers will enable this feature now as more Android phones are coming out.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

sooo... no one with a Pixel can chime in on my question?

Since I'm here, what don't I undertand that could be so "complicated" to get support for native Android VVM? First Rogers dosen't offer anymore a VVM option. Second, as far as I know, the add-on that Rogers offers for premium "message to text" (with the audio file attached) is the exact same thing as Android VVM.  What could stop Rogers from offering it?  

If iOS has an option for that, Android people would be willing to do the same and pay for the feature. No?

regards,

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @jefflessard

Maybe Rogers will offer it but not at this moment? Maybe their developers are told to wait until a agreement is set with Google and other Android manufactures? I don't know. You won't get the answer u are looking for honestly.

I have been an Android user since the initial launch of the original Samsung Galaxy Note (October 2011) and having come over from an iPhone 4; I was rather disappointed by the lack of any visual voicemail functionality. At the time, I realized this was due to a lack of built-in native visual voicemail functionality on Android.

Having remained with Android, on one device or another since then, I am disappointed that Rogers still has no visual voicemail feature. The old way of calling a number, and sitting through recorded messages to go through dozen voicemail messages is tedious and time-consuming. It's 2017, and this process should be much easier. Google has implemented native visual voicemail functionality in Android since Marshmallow, and most US carriers already support this. What's the hold up here on Rogers - supposedly the leading Canadian wireless provider?

As of today, I have to pay a 3rd party provider, a company called YouMail, to add what should be standard functionality to my phone. Unfortunately, YouMail only works when you have conditional call forwarding on your plan, which isn't great, and their Android app is poorly designed and not great to use. I wish I could just use the built-in visual voicemail functions of the Android OS.

With Google now having partnered with Rogers to bring enhanced SMS features to their Messenger app on the Rogers network, can we expect better integration of Rogers voicemail into the native Android phone app for visual voicemail functionality? Not having this is really, rather, rustling my jimmies.

I have a Pixel XL, but I wasn't aware of the premium VM function.  Going to add it to my account, and test it out to see.  I'll report back and let you know.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Anyone heard anything on VVM finally being implemented?  Android O is coming out in a couple of months.  It will be the third OS version (Marshmallow and Nougat) since the VVM feature as been implemented in Android.

Would be great if someone from Rogers could comment.

thanks,

Hi @jefflessard,

Thanks for reaching out.  

As a fellow Android user, I'd love to have visual voicemail available to me.  Unfortunately, at this time, there have not been any announcements. 

If any news is made available, we'll be sure to share it here!

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

jefflessard
I plan to stick around
Thank you. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

yybenedb
I plan to stick around

Not withstanding all of the theories as to why Rogers has not implemented VVM, it seems like an inexplicably foolish business strategy at a time when Rogers is trying to retain or win over new customers.......

supervillain
I plan to stick around
Thats the stupid part to me. Why would they not want to activate this feature. It's not going to lose them customers, its already a part of the OS, it seems more work on their end to not activate it....

@supervillain wrote:
Thats the stupid part to me. Why would they not want to activate this feature. It's not going to lose them customers, its already a part of the OS, it seems more work on their end to not activate it....

The weird thing is, half of the thing is already set up.  If you have their premium voicemail,  it sends you a text with the transcription and audio file of the voicemail.  This is basically what the built in VVM feature in Android hooks into, Rogers just needs to set up their voicemail system to integrate with the Android VVM software.  They do it for Apple, and I can't imagine it being that much different (or difficult) on Android.  

Rogers is just lazy because the percentage of Android users make up just a tiny fraction of their total smartphone users (in relation to Android anyway).

tattooedpierced
I plan to stick around
Not sure if this is relevent but had visual voicemail transcription to text using Google Pixel xl and was working fine but now switched to Blackberry K1 and now I only get the voice mail tape Icon and no voicemail to text transcription!? is voicemail to text provisioned differently on the included share plans voicemail and the separate voicemail addon feature!?

Hello @tattooedpierced,

Visual Voicemail or Premium Voicemail to Text as its sometimes called is a really great feature. It's so much more convenient than having to actually access your Voicemail Inbox and go through all the prompts.

If you recently changed your Wireless package its possible you may not be subscribed to that feature. It used to be a part of a $5.00 value pack but it's now available as a separate add-on feature. We will need to look at your account to confirm what subscriptions you have currently. 

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look. 

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

yybenedb
I plan to stick around
I believe that is what I have. The advantage of the one baked into the os (if I do, in fact, have what you describe) is that when I delete it from the vvm tab on my phone, it also deletes from my actual vm. Whereas when I delete the transcribed text, I still need to log in to delete from my vm. Also, for me, it is much more practical to have all of my vvms in one place rather than scattered through my in box.

vi_m1c
I've been here awhile

I also would like to know if and when can we expect Rogers to support VVM on Android.

yybenedb
I plan to stick around
Oh well. When I saw someone posted on this thread, I thought: Finally a Rogers rep must be posting that this silly deficiency has been rectified.

A nechtige tog.

supervillain
I plan to stick around
Haha, yeah right!

This would be to easy for them to implement, they would rather us use their half baked version.

*sigh*

I don't think Rogers cares much about Android users, the iPhone marketshare in Canada is much larger.  Also, Google doesn't put as much pressure on carriers as Apple does - and Apple can get away with it due to their user install base.  That's my theory.

I've given up on trying to get voicemail from Rogers, and instead use a service called YouMail.  You pay them a small fee (or use their free service), and forward your calls to their number (they have local numbers across Canada).  When you don't pick up, it routes the call to their system which handles your voicemail.

Then on your phone you can use their app (which is admittedly kind of gross) or a 3rd party one called Better YouMail, which allows for direct integration into the Android call log.  If Rogers decided to implement a visual voicemail service, and charge for it, I'd gladly pay.  But instead I am forced to pay a 3rd party compnay, plus the fee for the call forwarding service.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Current market share in Canada - Apple 38.3%, Google Android of any version, 50.5%, and others like Blackberry and Windows is 11.2%

Apple and Samsung are about equal.

The challenge for android users is that the layout of apps for core services like email, calendar, text, phone, etc varies from company to company and feature sets are not standardized across providers, whereas with Apple, providers have no choice - Apple dictates what runs on their phones and how.

So we Android users, work around the limitations caused by that sector and lack of consistency by the providers.  As long as Android allows manufacturers to customize the feature set, and then providers can customize it further, we will be doing work arounds.

No fun, but the reality.  But don't let the Apple users' and the ads fool you - they are a major player for sure, but don't hold majority share, or even close to it, but they have managed to hold their ground and keep their apps, OS, and feature sets standardized and force one model on providers, so the consumer gets a predictable experience across their product line.

It is the same issue we run into with PC's and laptops and tablets, that feature sets, individualized apps for core features vary all over the place depending upon what brand name device you buy.

Blackberry used to impose the same model, but when they moved to Android, they dropped the strict standards and configurations.  Windows phones are all over the map too.

Ahh, technology - we used to have standardization when it was simpler - all TV's worked the same, all cable worked the same, our radios all worked the same, our phones all worked the same.  Now that our devices, all that I just mentioned, are mini computers with multiple feature sets built in depending upon the producer, it is like, so how do I program my new VCR?

Bruce

Topic Stats