cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marshmallow visual voicemail

supervillain
I plan to stick around

So android's latest OS marshmallow is finally getting native visual voicemail support.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07/15/android-m-feature-spotlight-android-m-will-have-proper-visua...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/8974555/android-visual-voicemail-native-m-preview

What are the chances of this getting implemented by Rogers?   I understand that it is a carrier side feature that needs to be activated or something.  iOS has had this for years so it shouldn't be too complicated for Rogers to accomplish?

Is this wishful thinking??

***Edited Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Marshmallow visual voicemail

sean_chiarot
I plan to stick around

...Wait, you guys haven't figured out that Rogers is well behind the times yet? HA, what a joke if you think they'd update anything RON still uses NPAPI (deceloped in 1995 by the way!) despite all major browsers ending support for it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI#Browser_support

Internet Explorer - dropped support for this in version 5.5  SP2 due to "security reasons"

Google Chrome - dropped support for this in 2014 due to "NPAPI's 90s-era architecture has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity"

FireFox - will phase this out by end of 2016 & it already doesn't work in 64 bit FireFox.

Yeah sure it'd be great to have visual voice mail right out the gate if you have an android drive, but lets face it... Robbers... oops I mean Rogers wants their piece of the pie to, and everyone knows, you can't just have a single piece of delicious pie... so don't support the feature, don't give your clients something new and shiney..... more pie for them!

supervillain
I plan to stick around

What if you were to tell a service rep that you bought an unlocked iphone and are using that now, and they activate the iphone visual voicemail, wonder if that would trick the system to make it work?

I don't know anymore, its not that big of a deal, its just the general lack of caring from the company.  They are making money hand over fist yet they can't help us out with a tiny thing... blah

Dx9
I'm a reliable contributor
I would love to have this on my Nexus 6p. Unfortunate that Rogers won't support it. Also only a select few in the US have it enabled. Maybe eventually for Rogers but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Garbage software for VVM they have isn't even supported on many androids anyways. I wouldn't use even if it was its so bad.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dx9

I spoke to a few Rogers reps and even they agree that Rogers should offer it. It seems either there is a agreement which won't let then have it or rather their own product and service which isn't thag great i must admit my self.

supervillain
I plan to stick around

this is starting to upset me.  They won't activate this service, I have paid for premium voicemail to text instead even though it is a half baked solution.  But that won't even work on my phone.  I have spoken to a few techs and they have not been able to get it to work for like a month.  What am I paying for?? Stop forcing your garbage solutions on us and give us what we want....

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @supervillain

As much as i agree there is also a agreement with the manufacture that prevents this. So its also them to blame as they signed that the VVM will not work. its not only Rogers fault as much as we want to blame them.

Hmm i had the same issue with that on my sisters Blackberry Priv & on my iPhone 6S plus. It seems that the developers are not paying to much attention to this & they have too!

supervillain
I plan to stick around

What manufacturer agreement would that even be?  I have a google nexus 6P, VVM is supported natively in the OS just the same is apple devices.  I can't speak for samsung devices or sony etc.  The only thing stopping this from working is Rogers as far as I am concerned.  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @supervillain

When a device is launched, the carriers & manufacturers have agreements for it. So if Rogers will carry it, they have to have a agreement in place with list of things they want & want the manufactures wants added on the OS. This agreement is not given out to the public as its confidential.

In that case it seems that Rogers has agreements with Google to block the VVM that is built it due to something which again wont be made publicly. I have wondered the same as well. Apple VVM works with Rogers but you must pay a monthly fee for it to work. Hopefully Rogers does the same thing with the Nexus line but again its all up to the agreements & what Rogers & them made.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around
Any developments on supporting VVM?

xtess3ractx
I've been around
As with many people here, I am extremely disappointed. Rogers has decided not to support native vvm on android. This feature has been available for all iPhone users for roughly 9 YEARS!

They do have their own app but it's half baked. It doesn't translate well into text and can't play vms via speakerphone. Rogers is not a software company and should allow people that know how to build software build it. Rogers needs to support OMTP, its also open source. I'm willing to bet they already do as there app probably uses it. Instead we are forced to pay and use an inferior product.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @xtess3ractx

I agree. It seems though like something in the agreements is not allowing them to do it or they rather have their own half baked app instead which no one likes due to the lack of support as well.

Hopefully this changed but i doubt it

Why not?

Nogs
I'm here a lot
How do you know there is an agreement with manufacturers? What would a manufacturer have to gain by not allowing this? Other than - what a great feature iPhone users have - wish it was available on androids, I might switch....

supervillain
I plan to stick around
I think it would be the other way around. The carrier's tell Google they are only allowed to sell their phones if they can force us to use the carrier vvm. Because the manufacturer doesn't think they have as much clout as Apple, they comply.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Nogs

It could be either or... Either the manufacturers are putting the agreement there or the carriers are doing it so they can have their own apps to run. Apple seems to be able to get away with it with having a customer pay a bit more for VVM from them but eveyone else has to use their carriers half baked app.

rkagerer
I've been here awhile

Ridiculous.

Rogers: Support native visual voicemail on Android.  Stop mucking around, and do it.

Community: In the meantime, I've been using YouMail and it does a pretty good job if you're willing to purchase the premium subscription

supervillain
I plan to stick around

Still nothing!! 

CodySalter
I've been here awhile

Pretty sad if you ask me. I'm usually happy with rogers but this kinda issue bugs me

supervillain
I plan to stick around

Can anyone from Rogers chime in on this yet?  it's been awhile since this has been brought up! 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @supervillain

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it will happen as Rogers has yet announced it. Don't wait for it.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Is someone using a Google Pixel with the premium voicemail to text add-on, can confirm that it is still not showing in the phone app?  Is the voicemail tab showing in the phone app at all?

regards 

Topic Stats