cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 to be available in Canada

jfdesrosiers
I plan to stick around

For any Canadian with ears, 2015 and 2016 were very disapointing years. The HTC 10 limited to Bell, the LG V10 or the HiFi module on the LG G5 not sold in Canada were very bad news. 

Hope seems to be around the corner with latest announcement from LG: The V20 should be available in Canada... that is if any provider dare to sell something that sounds good; not Samsung.

Other than the usual "Rogers cannot confirm or infirm devices availabilty..." does anyone have information about how the V20 will be marketed in Canada? 

***Edited Labels***

90 REPLIES 90

Re: LG V20 to be available in Canada

Except maybe a massive recall of Samsung's o hones due to batteries exploding shortly after charging......

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Scox1901

Yeah yet LG didn't do anything with the G4 when they had issues.....

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

Any word on preorders?  I heard today that they US preorders are beginning Oct 17.  It's been a long wait since the launch on September 6...uggh. I'm almost tired of waiting.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover

Unfortunately no news on if Rogers will carry it or any carry will. Hopefuly some more information comes out soon.

jfdesrosiers
I plan to stick around

I was already tired of waiting and I could not realistically foresee Rogers (or any other Canadian provider) selling that phone before January 2017. So I went ahead and got a used (like new) HTC 10 for 500CAD and that gets me where the LG V20 would have been soundwise. The HTC 10 custom sound profiles, the output power and "snappyness" of dedicated DAC and native handling of lossless formats really got me. Yeah, sound makes me choose my phones. And the V20 will certainly sell around 1000CAD. 

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around
For anyone that is still interested in getting the V20...I contacted LG and they confirmed that it would be released in Canada in the next few weeks....I'm just not sure how long a "few" actually is in this case. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

Unfortunately I would take that with a grain of salt unless they do post it publicly.. Any rep can say anything . I'll believe it when they announce it publicly. 🙂

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

Awww..that burst my bubble...lol

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

Don't worry. LG should announce it soon but we still need to know which carrier it's going to go too.

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

So, LG made the annoucement this morning.  

LG V20 to launch in Canada on October 28 via Videotron and Wind Mobile.

This was via Mobilesyrup.  No word on the big 3 though...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

Yes so it only seems they will get it. Sadly i don't see Rogers getting it.

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

Me neither.  Oh well...might be time to change providers anyway. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

Goodluck! That's all I am saying lol...

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

I love having Rogers, but I really want that phone. lol

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

The thing is Rogers does and does not have control on some phones. If LG got paid better from those carriers, it goes to then and it might have a exclusive right to them for 90 says or so. You never know.

Also Videotron isn't in Ontario anyways. It's only in Quebec. Wind is the only Canadian carrier that has it.

hunnylover2
I plan to stick around

That's great info.  Thanks.  🙂  I'll keep an eye out...there's still a bit of hope that Rogers might carry it at some point...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hunnylover2

No problem :). Yeah wait it out and see. Most likely you will be able to buy it outright from Wind or even on Kijiji at some point.

DrewLazz
I plan to stick around

Seems the LTE radio will definitely support Rogers bands, so even if they don't offer it directly, network compatibility shouldn't be an issue. 

It's disappointing though that Rogers has seen fit to limit their selection of flagship Android devices. Between the V20 and the htc 10, their selection is lacking in 2016.  I'm just coming up to my 2 year mark, and I've been hoping for a better selection before renewing; None of the flagship Android devices on offer at Rogers offer the kind of audio experience I'm looking for, and in fact none will even drive higher impedance headphones. The htc 10 and V20 both do this and show audio prowess.

Hey guys, been reading the thread for awhile so decided to sign up.

If I remember reading correctly (which looks like you guys already know) something happened like wind won the bidding on new licensing for better technology to reach faster data speeds (apparently their current data isn't up to the standards of the big 3). But currently no phones have the hardware to take advantage of this until 2017 except for... you guessed it, the LG V20.

I assume they must have paid a lot for this current (and maybe timed) exclusivity.

I'm considering getting this phone (currently with Telus) but I've heard service in general is bad where I live (greater Vancouver area).

My main concern is exactly when this new technology or whatever it is will be installed. I'm going to try and get some answers before Friday comes along.

Cheers

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JerradR

Unfortunately you won't get that answer you are looking for for on here. No one knows when Rogers will update their systems to get higher speeds and also more improvements. It can happen anytime next year or the year after. Unfortunately no word from Rogers has been announced on this.

At this time the V20 seems to be only with Windows Mobile in Canada other them Videotron in Quebec.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JerradR @DrewLazz @hunnylover2

" We appreciate you interest D. Our confirmed providers for the LG V20 at the moment are WIND Mobile and Videotron. Thanks"

This is straight from LG Canada. So it seems only Videotron on Quebec and Wind in rest of Canada got confirmed to get them only from what i can tell. So Rogers most likely won't get it or will get it within the next 3-4 months ( if wind has the 90 day exclusive rights).
Topic Stats