cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G7 EXTREME LACK OF UPDATES

IainS
I plan to stick around

This phone costs over a $1000 and is a flagship device and hasn't seen any updates since July, it is sitting on July android security patch. This is totally unacceptable behavior from both LG and Rogers, I want a refund on this device from Rogers.

There has been over 30 critical security holes patched since July and over 40 High security patches, both Rogers and LG are leaving me in a very vulnerable state with the lack of security updates from this device. The patches in security vulnerabilities above dont even include LG specific patches.

I hope someone from Rogers reads these forums as im about to go very public in my dissatisfaction of LG and Rogers.

A very unhappy customer here.

***Added Labels***

17 REPLIES 17

Re: LG G7 EXTREME LACK OF UPDATES

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @lainS

Its sad to see Rogers and LG doing this.i wonder why they haven't sent out those security updates for this device.

As you know Rogers won't give you a refund on the device since you have gone over the return policy but have you spoken to the Office of the President and seen what they can folder as a credit? They are the only ones that way be able to waive half of the upgrade fee ( device balance) or offer some kind of credit for this.

It seems Rogers is lacking on sending updates out. I know the manufacturers send then first to the carriers but this isn't a excuse in this case.

IainS
I plan to stick around
I will be talking or trying to talk with someone with Rogers tomorrow, yes i really dont know who is to blame for this lack of updates, we live in a world now that one can not afford to keep using an unpatched device, especially an android device, there are just too many risks involved in using a device that is not being patched in a timely manner.

IainS
I plan to stick around

This LG Canada;s reply to another customer this morning on Facebook.

"LG Electronics Canada Inc.: Hi David, Security Patches are not released on a month to month basis. These are only required when service providers request them."

This is disgusting and totally unacceptable, Rogers and LG must just be laughing at people buying these phones that cost over $1000 and offer absolutely 0 for support. These security level updates should be mandatory and issued on a month to month basis.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ IainS

It seems like also LG is mostly part of the problem. As a manufacturer of the device, they should be responsible for those updates being sent out. How can Samsung, Sony and other manufactures do it but LG Can't?

Rogers is to blame as well but majority of the blame is LG. They know about this and shouldn't have to wait until a carrier request the updates.

Avoid LG at all costs if this is how they want to act.

IainS
I plan to stick around
yup terrible service to give their customers. Right now im not happy with either of them.

IainS
I plan to stick around

Rogers called me back after 3 days and was just a tech support guy that did not have a clue about anything, said he would elevate the issue and call me the next day, guess what nothing from them after 2 days. I am at my wits end with Rogers and how they treat their customers. Maybe i should take my $300/month personal plans and and tell my business to migrate their 10 phones to someone else while i'm at it.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @lainS

Do what's best for you. Vote with your wallet as many say. Unfortunately the techs can't even do anything as they don't have access to the back end or the developers for Rogers and can get answers. All they can do is submit a elevation of the request and it goes from there.

Ultimately you can ask a manager to have a Office of the President call you ( and they won't be able to get the update for u but can offer something else) or make your move and leave.

Just a heads up though, Telus and Bell are having the same issue with LG. So I'm sure others are too.

IainS
I plan to stick around
Im already past the point where i will never buy another LG product, i just want them to do something with the current LG phone so i can switch to a device that does get updates. Im not really asking for much here.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @IainS

I get it believe me. Unfortunately you have only one options and that's speaking the OOP. See if they can offer you a option.

They may be able to do something but 95% of the chances it will be thag they will require you to get a new phone at a new contract pricing and they may be able to waive 50% of the current balance remaining on the G7 or see of they can completely waive it.

Those are your only options with Rogers.

IainS
I plan to stick around
i dont mind getting a new device and renewing the contract but i want them to help with the LG G7 device balance, i refuse to pay the whole thing of $1000.

stefman722
I plan to stick around
I just bought the G7 today since it's the cheapest phone with my current upgrade that has both wifi calling and wireless charging that won't cost me $500 upfront lol

I came from an Android blackberry which had almost monthly updates. I found my phone had a really old update and found this thread. I am very disappointed in regards to the lack of updates and may return this phone within the 15 days because of it and may even get the LG G7 One even though it doesn't have wireless charging. Anywoo, I found that Fido lists the following scheduled updates for their phones here...

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/custom/page/page-id/forumpage.osupgradesen

It shows their G7 will be getting the October update soon with the G7 One getting pie. If our phones hasnt even seen an update since July I highly doubt our phones won't be getting android P. Too bad! This phone seems to have everything I wanted....

IainS
I plan to stick around
I have updated to the Pixel XL 3 from this device and will be putting it up for sale as quick as possible, NO more LG devices again for me, terrible customer service and the lack of support from Rogers also.

IainS
I plan to stick around

November security updates are being pushed out to Pixel devices which by all means LG and Rogers are breaking their update agreements with Google which requires a maximum of 3 months between updates.

cuca
I plan to stick around
Interesting.. is there an update for the g7 available from Rogers? Well, I hope you like the pixel phone, I hear it's pretty sweet.

Ratedetar
I've been around

Google phones will always get updates the fastest as google created android...

That's the delay really. Rogers asks for update & google makes one. The provider tests/tweaks it to make sure it runs on its phone & network properly. This could take months to get done. 

LG has always had a bad history with updates. Samsung too but not nearly as bad as LG.

IainS
I plan to stick around

Yes i really like the new pixel, LG and Rogers are both to blame for lack of updates on the G7, if LG refuses to update their phones then Rogers should stop selling LG devices. There is still not any updates to the G7 since July, totally acceptable from both of them. Rogers has made no attempt to help me with the situation.

stefman722
I plan to stick around
My LG is downloading an update as we speak..
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 in conversation