cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

I discovered after taking the August security update on my LG G6 that MMS was broken when connected to WiFi. The only way to make MMS work is to either disconnect from WiFi or enable WiFi calling. I don't use or need WiFi calling in my daily life so I don't enable it due to the increased battery usage.

I opened a ticket via @RogersHelps on the Twitters and got an email a couple days later stating that it should be resolved. Surprisingly, it was resolved but just for me and not the 2 other people I was testing with. The ticket has since been escalated.

I am wondering, are there others out there in Rogers-land that are experiencing this issue since the Aug update? I also tested with a BellMTS customer with the same device / updates and he did not have the issue but they also do not support WiFi calling.

Any takers?

Thanks...Jeff in Winnipeg

60 REPLIES 60

Re: LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

RogersCorey

Good morning Community!

We've decided that this issue is unique enough to merit its own thread! Please contribute and let us and other users know if this issue is impacting your device.

Regards,

RogersCorey

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Update to my situation...whatever fix that was done to for my device no longer works. I am back to enabling wifi calling / turn off wifi to send / receive MMS.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Sooooo....this is what Rogers support came back with...

"We wanted to let you know we've fixed the problem with your Rogers Wireless that you told us about on 09/08/2018.
We have investigated your reported problem and concluded that it is hardware related."

What exactly does that mean? Everyone with an LG G6 has a hardware issue?

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

I called support this time. They have suggested to me that it is due to device corruption from the software update and recommend a reset. This really is not acceptable. When 3 different devices experienced the exact same issue, this is not a corruption issue but a bad update.

It seems the issue is hit and miss now. 2 of the 3 devices are currently working without wifi calling enabled. Mine worked for a while then stopped. I don't expect this to resolve itself without a software fix.

How do you get Rogers to engage LG to escalate this?

Good morning @JeffGerard!

In situations where we determine the issue is indeed caused by software pushed from the manufacturer, it is usually the responsibility of the manufacturer to fix it.

I would highly recommend reaching out to them directly. It's entirely possible this is a known issue and LG is already working on an update to fix it.

If this functionality is absolutely necessary to get you through your daily routine, you should consider enabling WiFi Calling as a workaround until a real fix is issued.

Regards,

RogersCorey

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Yeah..I get that. It's odd that it sometimes works and sometimes does not.

Hey Jeff! Did you get your resolution resolved?

If not, try this:
1. Click on your Settings app
2. Under Network, swipe down to Mobile Networks and select it
3. Next, select Access Point Names
4. Select the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner
5. From the drop down, select Restore Default settings.

I hope this helps. I had to do the same thing for my father's G6. It's definitely a phone issue, as he is on a different carrier that does not use Rogers network.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
I did play with apn settings but to no avail. I will try your suggestion as well as it can't hurt. It does work sometimes but for the most part it does not without WiFi calling enabled. I would be surprised if it didn't stop working for your father in a couple days. Keep me posted!

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
Nope. Setting apn to default no fixy for me. Had to turn WiFi calling back on.
I did message LG Canada on Facebook and they said they'd pass it on but I don't know how far that will go.

Kelsc
I've been here awhile
I am having the same issue. How do I enable wifi calling?

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
Settings / Network & Internet / Call / WiFi Calling. Enable and enjoy uniterrupted MMS messaging 😀

CSLonbottom
I'm here a lot

I am in Medicine Hat AB and I can no longer send MMS over wifi either. the most annoying thing. Is there a quick fix for now??

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
See my reply right above your post for the quick fix 👍

Doesn't recognize my address for the 911 calling info... I have no idea why Canada post nor places like Purolator don't recognize it 😞 Just hope they come out with a new update to fix it soon

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Sorry to hear that. The only solution I have found is to either disable wifi or enable wifi calling. For the people experiencing the issue, please report this to LG Canada on Facebook as more attention would be more likely to get a response.

Hopefully Rogers is OK with me posting the link: https://www.facebook.com/LGCanada/

Josh777
I've been here awhile

I seem to be having an issue sending pictures via text message. I've just tried with WiFi on and it didn't work.. then again with it off.. seemed to work. I've just asked my wife to send a picture and I'm unable to download it. 

I am using a LG G6 on 8.0 and have recently installed the latest updates. 

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

\

Josh

Josh777
I've been here awhile
I'm having the same issue with my G6.. Intermittently wanting to send/receive.. Might be time for me to go to a different carrier.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Josh, this is completely not a carrier issue. This is typical LG. They pushed out an update that is flawed with respect to WiFi calling and MMS. LG has to fix the blunder. The only way you'll get consistent functional MMS until LG fixes the issue is to leave WiFi calling enabled.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

New software update...looks like Nov security updates. Fingers crossed that they fixed the MMS over WiFi issue!

...will update soon

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

....and #FAIL.

Never again will I buy LG. I had a G4 and stupidly gave them a 2nd chance on the G6.

Topic Stats