cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

I discovered after taking the August security update on my LG G6 that MMS was broken when connected to WiFi. The only way to make MMS work is to either disconnect from WiFi or enable WiFi calling. I don't use or need WiFi calling in my daily life so I don't enable it due to the increased battery usage.

I opened a ticket via @RogersHelps on the Twitters and got an email a couple days later stating that it should be resolved. Surprisingly, it was resolved but just for me and not the 2 other people I was testing with. The ticket has since been escalated.

I am wondering, are there others out there in Rogers-land that are experiencing this issue since the Aug update? I also tested with a BellMTS customer with the same device / updates and he did not have the issue but they also do not support WiFi calling.

Any takers?

Thanks...Jeff in Winnipeg

60 REPLIES 60

Re: LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

jadsnca
I've been here awhile

I have the same issue with my LG G7 Thinq, and I was using a Motorola G5 before and same issue. So changing phones does not resolve the MMS not sending or receiving issue... I have to reboot my phone everytime I send or receive a picture. It's painful.

dsyd
I've been here awhile
Assuming both phones were on Rogers, that is very interesting. They are blaming the problem on LG but you experienced the same on a Motorola. Did your issue happen when you were usually in the same place? Possibly in a weak signal area?

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

That is definitely interesting. When did the Motorola start experiencing the issue? The LG problem is definitely an LG issue. MMS worked fine on WiFi until the August security update. I have personally seen this on at least 4 different devices. I also know people on BellMTS with the G6 that do not have the problem, however, BellMTS does not support WiFi calling on this device so, to me, it's definitely related to WiFi calling and something LG borked on the update. Let's not forget how famous LG is for borking updates...look at the G4 boot loop fiasco.

My G6 has been doing the same since August. I just finally went looking for a solution and ended up here. This problem is SO annoying!

Bondolus
I've been here awhile

I am having the same issue with mine, its so annoying. Only way i’ve gotten around it is disabling Wi-Fi. Hoping LG gets a resolution quick. Aside from this issue, i’ve noticed my LG G6 has also started corrupting random pictures i’ve previously taken. They are either unreadable or blurred with random colors. Phone also sometimes doesn’t ring and i miss calls, checking call logs show missed calls and zero notifciations. So annoying as well, i’ve loved my previous LG phones but i think its time to jump ship.

dsyd
I've been here awhile

@BondolusInteresting, same here with the missed calls. When I'm at home is usually when it happens, yet I am typically getting anywhere from 2 - 4 bars of signal from anywhere in my home. I wonder if the issues are somehow connected... I don't think those problems are to blame on LG. I have already noticed the broken mms over wifi issue has been reported for other phone models, if you search this and other forums, and I am starting to wonder if it's not at least partially a Rogers problem. I wish I could test in another model. I've never had that texting problem with previous phones on other carriers, I've used Bell and Telus with previous phones out of the same home location. I HAVE however had missed calls, go straight to voice mail, on both my HTC One with Telus and my Sony Z3 Compact with Bell, so pretty to sure that's due to a weak signal area, not to be blamed on the G6.

By the way, Rogers, if you read these comments, your site sign in process with the over the top captcha on every login is ridiculous! It's easier to sign into my CRA or bank account for the love of pete.

JonathanFalk
I've been around

My wife and I both have G6's and are experiencing this problem. When I enable WiFi calling I once again receive MMS messages when on WiFi but I then drop call constantly. So it seems I can either receive phone calls or MMS messages, but not both, which is not ideal. I hope there is a fix for this soon.

jpduval
I plan to stick around

Unable to send Image/video SMS when on a wifi network

Hi,

I have an LG G6 and I have a weird problem. When I try to send an image or video via SMS it does not work when I am connected to a Wi-Fi network even if my DATA CONNECTION is ON.

When I try to send an image it hangs (wifi connected)....... and if I turn off the Wi-Fi the image is sent almost instantly...

This was not the case before, it started a few weeks ago, no wifi changes, no data plan changes.... And I'm using Android message as my primary SMS app.

Anybody have this problem?

Thanks.

Hi @jpduval,

Some Rogers Wireless users with an LG G6, G7, and or Stylo+ smartphone are unable to send outgoing MMS when WIFI is turned ON. The issue has been reported to LG for possible fix on the next software update.

As a workaround, users can either turn WIFI OFF or enable WIFI Calling for MMS to work.

jpduval
I plan to stick around

That is good to know thanks! 

But if I look at LG track reccord regarding updates I will have change my phone before the fix arrives ahahah!

Thanks for the info!

You're very welcome @jpduval!

Saw the post earlier about sending a PM to @CommunityHelps to build a case for LG to fix. Sent PM. I as well am now having this problem and am really unhappy about this. I hat the wifi calling function because it tends tonsillectomy send and double receive text messages. This whole problem is now a real pain, forcing me to use a messy service because LG and Rogers can't communicate their software requirements correctly.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

So big surprise...security update came out today and guess what....still not fixed. This just reinforces my stance...never again LG. Ever.

My thoughts as well. Makes me wonder if maybe it isn't a Rogers problem as well. I wonder of people with other carriers are having the same issues?

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

@CSLonbottom wrote:
My thoughts as well. Makes me wonder if maybe it isn't a Rogers problem as well. I wonder of people with other carriers are having the same issues?

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that yes, it is. I just had a co-worker test with her G6 on Telus, connected to WiFi with WiFi calling turned off and she can send and receive.

Cabbage58
I've been here awhile
Same issue for my wife and I. We cant send pics via mms when we are connected to any wifi. We are on Rogers network too. We always have to turn off wifi to send/receive mms pic and vids if our phones are connected to a wifi network.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Problem solved! Ok, not "solved" but solved for me 🙂 I got a Pixel 3 XL. No more LG for me!

Bondolus
I've been here awhile
My MMS has started randomly working now...no updates, no wifi calling...not sure what happened but it started working 2 days ago. Will see if it continues I was also about to jump ship.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

@Bondolus wrote:
My MMS has started randomly working now...no updates, no wifi calling...not sure what happened but it started working 2 days ago. Will see if it continues I was also about to jump ship.

My co-worker (who did *not* get a shiny new Pixel 3 XL :P) also mentioned this to me yesterday.

Topic Stats