cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

I discovered after taking the August security update on my LG G6 that MMS was broken when connected to WiFi. The only way to make MMS work is to either disconnect from WiFi or enable WiFi calling. I don't use or need WiFi calling in my daily life so I don't enable it due to the increased battery usage.

I opened a ticket via @RogersHelps on the Twitters and got an email a couple days later stating that it should be resolved. Surprisingly, it was resolved but just for me and not the 2 other people I was testing with. The ticket has since been escalated.

I am wondering, are there others out there in Rogers-land that are experiencing this issue since the Aug update? I also tested with a BellMTS customer with the same device / updates and he did not have the issue but they also do not support WiFi calling.

Any takers?

Thanks...Jeff in Winnipeg

60 REPLIES 60

Re: LG G6 August Security Update Breaks MMS over WiFi

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Interesting...a new co-worker on Telus has a G6 with WiFi calling ability and she does not have this issue. Granted I only did a couple tests but it appears to work fine. 

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

Well this is awesome. Now my wifi calling is stuck on "Turning on..." since yesterday. No matter what I do it won't turn on or off. MMS over wifi obviously broken. Sigh.

Hollyd1
I've been around
Hi! Has anything come of this? Mine just started having issues with sending and receiving MMS in the past month. I have tried everything except the wifi calling thing or a hard reset.

Still doesn't work I only get pictures if I turn my wifi off. Don't like the wifi calling. LG really dropped the ball this time

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

I have tested this on numerous Rogers LG G6's. In all my testing, MMS *does not work* when connected to WiFi since the August security updates. The November security update has come out and did not fix it either. About 2 weeks after I took the November update, my WiFi calling got stuck in "Turning on" status, which is to say it was neither on or off - it was in limbo. I had to factory reset my phone to get it to work. So I thought to myself, maybe this will fix the MMS over WiFi issue....NOT.

Rogers needs to push LG to fix this issue. I really don't know why more aren't complaining - either they just don't know it's happening or don't know how to research it. I am convinced that anyone on Rogers with a G6 that has taken the August update will have this problem. 

This is the last LG I will ever buy. I'm done with their effortless customer support. I had a G4 prior and hoped that the G6 would prove to be different. As much as I have enjoyed the device, their lack of support and the fact that it took a year to get the Oreo update has done it for me.

TBH, this thread should never have been set to "solved". Even though it is up to LG to fix the issue, Rogers really needs to push LG to do something. Sure we have a workaround but that workaround is not ideal.

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

@CSLonbottom wrote:
Still doesn't work I only get pictures if I turn my wifi off. Don't like the wifi calling. LG really dropped the ball this time

Same here...I hate the WiFi calling. I don't need it but have to leave it enabled. I find calls are horrible with it enabled and always end up turning it off if I have to make a call.

Roma_o
I've been here awhile

Hello. I just recently am not able to send or receive pictures via text while I am home and connected to Wifi. Once I leave my house, the picture sends most likely using my mobile data. My husband texts me pictures while in the house to test it and it goes through on his end and on mine it just says dowloading with the round circle rotating. I need this fixed ASAP please!!!!! I never did any system update or anything recently. I called Rogers and they said they sent a reset to my phone network which never ended up working.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community!

Thank you so much for your continued dedication. We are currently working with LG to have the issue fully acknowledge and thus fixed in the next update.

In order to help in that process, we need to open Cases. Anyone affected by the issue, please reach out to us at @CommunityHelps so we can gather all the info required.

Thank you!

RogersDarrell

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
Message sent!

Kelsc
I've been here awhile
I have been experiencing this issue ans following this thread. Its good to hear you are working on a resolution. Please let us know once its fixed

nohoski
I've been around

I too have recently been noticing that my pics wouldn’t send on messaging. I went into a Rogers store and they turned off the VoLTE and had me try to send a pic. It worked and I thought that it had been fixed. Until I got home and it didn’t work again. After much playing with settings and testing, I was able to determine that the pic sent while at Rogers was only due to the phone using data and that whenever on wifi, it wouldn’t work. I tried with different wifi’s but they still were not sending. Any time that I turned wifi off my pics would go through. I have gone back to the store and also called tech support but they were unable to help or even give any suggestions other than “It must be a hardware problem.” They were not even aware of any others with this problem and it was only by luck that I found this thread.  “Rogers” and “LG” please work together and help your customers!!!

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around
@nohoski, not sure if you read thru this thread but the workaround is to enable wifi calling.

jrdagostino
I've been here awhile

How do I send a message about this issue to the community group?

How do I make a complaint?

You will need to complain right to LG directly

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

If you're experiencing the MMS over WiFi issue, send a private message to @CommunityHelps and they will record it as they are working with LG to get this fixed.

My LG G7 One does the same thing. As soon as I put my Bell sim card in it works fine

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

@gmarcoux wrote:
My LG G7 One does the same thing. As soon as I put my Bell sim card in it works fine

Well that's interesting. I'm actually not surprised. I do the mobility stuff for the company I work for and I have had quirky issues with LG devices...it always seems to affect the G5, G6 and G7 in the exact same way.

When I click on that @comunity link I just get an "about" page???
No place for me to send message

JeffGerard
I plan to stick around

@CSLonbottom wrote:
When I click on that @comunity link I just get an "about" page???
No place for me to send message

You have to be logged into your account. When you click on @CommunityHelps, it takes you to their profile page. On the right you'll see a red bar with a link to "Send a private message".

dsyd
I've been here awhile

Same problem here on both LG G6 phones we bought Nov 2017. PM sent to @CommunityHelps

Hope this gets resolved soon as the workarounds are not great. It's just a matter of time before my son turns off wifi to send a pic, then forgets to turn it back on, and goes over our shared data limit. 

Topic Stats