cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 - Wifi Calling

chetu730
I've been here awhile

Hi, to explain my interesting predicament, a few months ago I experienced the dreadful bootloop issue and took it to my local Rogers store for repairs. I received it back in a timely manner and everything seemed good again. This lasted up until a few days ago when I had noticed that Rogers extended WiFi calling for the LG G4, I figured I would try it out. I kept getting an error saying that my device isn't eligible for WiFi calling which confused me. I spoke with Rogers via Facebook messenger and was told my device is a non-rogers device. I explained to them that this cannot be the case, but then they brought to my attention that the imei I provided is different than what I previously had on the account. When I received my device back from repairs it was the same device in that it had the screen protector that had been put on it. To my discovery, they swapped out the motherboard which results in the new imei. So an authorized repair centers for Rogers put in a motherboard that isn't recognized as a Rogers device. I'm not even sure how this can be resolved. I plan on going to the store I took it to in the first place but I'm really not sure what they'll do. I'm just looking for suggestions.. and curious if anyone else has ever had this happen to them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LG G4 - Wifi Calling

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @chetu730

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

We'd like to help with your device and take a closer look into your issue.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist.

@RogersPrasana

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor

That's something I have never encountered or heard of. It does make sense though, as the motherboard was swapped out. If it was repaired by a Rogers authorized repair center, they should update Rogers with your new IMEI. Either that, or Rogers should add it to their system. They can, they have for me in the past. Either way it's on Rogers to correct it, as your phone was repaired by on of their repair centers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @chetu730

Hmm i have heard this from Apple doing this but not Rogers. When they repair the motherboard, they are supposed to send the information to Rogers or add it on the account with the new IMEI / Serial Number. I guess the tech did not do that and failed and now we have this issue.

You can have Rogers add the IMEI number on your account without any issues. It's still a Rogers locked device, just tell them that it came like that from the repair center and want to add the IMEI.

I would suggest @CommunityHelps check this out and see if they can help you!

chetu730
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the replies. When I last spoke with Rogers they did add the imei to the account. I wonder if tech support is able to add the imei to their system so that it's recognized as a Rogers device?

chetu730
I've been here awhile

Update: I just finished speaking with tech support. I'm not confident that the rep fully understood the issue. It seemed like they were just fishing for answers to my questions. They did say they would "escalate" it to tier 2 and that I would hear back within 48hrs. They said I would be contacted by text, which seemed very unprofessional to me. They did say that they would phone though, if more information was needed.

I haven't had to speak with TS before but this experience really leaves me in doubt that this will be handled properly to ensure resolution is met. The impression I got was that this isn't a Rogers problem/mistake. Absolutely no ownership was taken, no empathy. It's really concerning with the way it was handled, but I'll give them a chance to prove me wrong.

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @chetu730

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

We'd like to help with your device and take a closer look into your issue.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist.

@RogersPrasana

i also have issue with my G4. but mine was a Bell version. It has a new imei number in it to. My phone is unable to get any updates from LG OTA or Bridge or from Rogers.  i had to flash a KDZ file but it is Rogers 6.0 firmware. I would realy like to be able to have 6.0.1 firmware but cant find it anyware

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nicksvt40

Is this a Bell device but unlocked to be used to another carrier? Then it should work as its unlocked and used on Rogers to get updates but unfortunately for tech support they won't accept it.

Yes a Bell device unlocked to use with any carrier

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nicksvt40

Hmmm did u do all the APN settings correct?

Yes all apn's are correct I have flashed it with the LGUP tool with a kdz file i found on xda developers site and is now at software version H81220x from Rogers. This was supposed to be the newest update but I still do not see any new Emoji's and is still at 6.0 not 6.0.1

chetu730
I've been here awhile

To my knowledge, 6.0.1 isn't available for the LG G4. The information posted on the OS Update page wasn't correct. It is actually for 6.0. I'm hoping 6.0.1 isn't too far off though.

@RogersDarrell mentioned below that it was posted as 6.0.1 in error (just providing reference) :

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/34301/page/4

Thanks for the info. I also hope 6.0.1 is coming soon lol

What about wifi calling for a non-rogers device. Is there a way to make it work? When I turn it on and go to register it says unfortunately you're device is not admissible to Rogers wifi calling.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nicksvt40

Sorry for the late response! Sadly no. In order to get WiFi calling working on Rogers, you must get a Rogers branded device to work. Sadly unlocked devices will not work.

I also noticed that video calling is not working on my phone. I am considering going to Bell since it's a Bell device. This might save me a lot of trouble. I never had any problems with my old iPhone 4S on Rogers and it was an unlocked device also,every feature was working on that one. I just don't get why this one's features are almost all blocked. I kind of regret getting an Android i should of stuck with iPhone lol

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nicksvt40

IPhone is controlled by Apple that's why. Android isn't. It does suck that you can't use some of the main features on the device if the device is unlocked but it seems to be a new thing with all the carriers.

I was on with tech support.

My original issue was that i had rogers one number so we removed it.

Ok now im aboe to enable wifi calling. I click the button, register, get the activation code, activate, put in my 911 info, confirm it and recieve the text telling me i can now use wifi calling.

I try using wifi calling in an area i have no cellular reception but do have a strong wifi connection. And it states i am out of the service area and mobile network is unavailable. I am unable to make any calls.

It also takes forever for the feature to enable in the settings.

There is also no new wifi calling icon on my upper status bar.

Any help people??

alexvtr
I plan to stick around

We have 4 LG G4 in the office. When the update with Wifi calling came in, 3 out of 4 phones couldn't complete the set-up process properly and required a call to tech support (IIRC, it stopped before the screen where you enter your home address for 911 purposes). Within 5 minutes, the agent sorted it out. He didn't seem surprised. 

On the fourth G4, enabling Wifi calling worked just like in the sticky post (How-to...). Go figure. All 4 bought at the same time, all 4 on the same corporate account.

And yes, you should see a new icon on the top left corner of the screen (a phone with wifi bars next to it) if it's working as it should. On some phones, after the agent changed things on his side, a reboot was required for the feature to work.

cptdigits
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have a rogers locked lg G4 but the wifi calling does not work, it stays stuck on "enabling" forever. I have had lots of contact with your support department, and they suspect there is something wrong with the APN settings (they were blank for some reason).

To get them back, they told me to do a factory reset. Now before I do that, I would rather just input the APN information manually to check if that would fix the problem.

Can somebody tell me all the APNs that need to be active in order for wifi calling to work? Support told me to add one for the LTE / MMS and one for the tethering. Which other ones do I need for call over wifi support?

Thank you

Hello, @cptdigits

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and posting your query. You can definitely input the APNs manually before trying a factory reset.  You may want to just add the APNs support has suggested. please see our APN Settings How To post

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation