cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4: WARNING - do NOT upgrade Android

KurtToronto
I'm here a lot

I got my LG G4 at the beginning of July and have absolutely love it. It does everything that I need a phone to do and the removeable battery and expandable memory was a big factor in my selection.

The battery life was amazing: I don't play games on my phone, I rarely make an actual phone call, and I use a web/SMS interface (MightyText, if you're interested: quality product if you work at a computer). That being said, I'm far from a light user: I search the web a lot , text with different apps and use social media.

My battery life averaged at least 40-50 hours most of the time (heavy use taking a lot of phots would reduce that to 30-35, very light use would extend it to 60+ hours), and this has been consistent for the last seven months of use. Having a second battery is the plus, because I an allow it to die to 0% and immeditately switch out the battery.

When Android 6.0 was pushed to the phone I was hesitant, but consdiering that it's been deployed to other networks over the last few months, I took a risk and updated. BIG mistake: I've just gotten home from work and the battey is at 2% after about 9 hours. The phone felt physically warm and I checked the temperature (*#*#4636#*#*) and it was in the low 40s.

I'm quite worried that this will be unalterable and that I will have to live with this for the remaining 17 months before I can get an upgrade. I'm going to search the web for any information on things that I can try and possibly even look into if there is a way to downgrade. I would just warn people not to jump on the new update: I had NO complaints with the OS at all, and I feel that I've learned my lesson.

I will update if the situation changes. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LG G4: WARNING - do NOT upgrade Android

KurtToronto
I'm here a lot

Thanks for your replies, @Meowmix and @RogersShakir,

It's been a week and it seems to have equilibriated itself. I'm back up to 30+ hours, although it dropped drastically on Thursday and Sunday. I'm hoping that it eventually regains its old longevity. I do remember a similar situation with a phone from a couple of years ago where an update there was a temporary but considerable reduction in battery power coupled with the phone being uncharacteristicaly and almost alarmingly warm. I'm hopeful now that this too shall pass.

Even during the dip in performance the battery usage profile looked more-or-less normal and with the usual proportions, regardless of the actual life: Cell standby and Phone idle each consuming around 17%; Android SystemAndroid OS, and some background apps like Locale and MightyText around 8%. There really isn't much that I've noticed, but I will be certain to screencap it if it dips again.

A bit of an off-topic question: when performing a factory reset, do you have any suggestions for backing up the phone beforehand? Most of my pictuers are on the SD card, but it would really be nice if I could somehow preserve my SMS/MMS history.

Thanks again, @Meowmix and @RogersShakir

Kurt

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @KurtToronto

Have you tried to do a factory reset on the device to see if that will fix it? I always do and have great results. I updated My G4 and have no issues like yours. Also contacted a few people and the same. Nothing on their end. Do remember it's a update so it will take time to settle in.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.

I've decided to give it a couple of days to settle in before I try that (just put in the second battery and am crossing my fingers). I understand that there might be things going on in the background that might be the cause of this.

Make no mistake: I'm quite happy with my LG G4, and I more intend to have this just as a statement on the web (which I was unable to find during my hasty and cursory search last night) which might guide others who are on the fence. I will be sure to post updates on the performance.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @KurtToronto

I'll see if I can contact my LG rep and see what he says. Normally is jusy a battery restart or a factory reset on the device should remove small little bugs and issues but again it's not 100%.

Hopefully we get you some answers soon!

Thank you so much.

Update: my phone has had its screen off for 90 minutes and is down to 85%.

Hey @KurtToronto

While we wait for @Meowmix's friendly contact on LG side, I do want to discuss another theory.

For your battery drainage, under your Settings > General > Battery and power savings > Battery usage

What is showing up as the 1st, 2nd and third highest usage (They are in order normally).

Sometimes, if there are apps, third party or native that are draining the batter more than your screen and android system. You have a malfunction and a simple reboot won't solve it.

@Meowmix among other users here can confirm that. Sometimes a hard-reset is required (making sure back up of all personal/needed files are done first). Hard Reset is last thing we want to do of course.

So for now, can you take a screenshot of that battery usage screen? So the community can better assist you?

Thanks! :]

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @KurtToronto

I spoke to my rep a couple of days ago and since he has been busy he left me a voicemail today for another issues but let me know his boss at head office is looking into this.

Again it all depends on the background apps that u may have or even the screen time. I would suggest as RogersShakir said to post a image of your battery usage and let us see what's going on. This way I can also show my LG rep this too.

KurtToronto
I'm here a lot

Thanks for your replies, @Meowmix and @RogersShakir,

It's been a week and it seems to have equilibriated itself. I'm back up to 30+ hours, although it dropped drastically on Thursday and Sunday. I'm hoping that it eventually regains its old longevity. I do remember a similar situation with a phone from a couple of years ago where an update there was a temporary but considerable reduction in battery power coupled with the phone being uncharacteristicaly and almost alarmingly warm. I'm hopeful now that this too shall pass.

Even during the dip in performance the battery usage profile looked more-or-less normal and with the usual proportions, regardless of the actual life: Cell standby and Phone idle each consuming around 17%; Android SystemAndroid OS, and some background apps like Locale and MightyText around 8%. There really isn't much that I've noticed, but I will be certain to screencap it if it dips again.

A bit of an off-topic question: when performing a factory reset, do you have any suggestions for backing up the phone beforehand? Most of my pictuers are on the SD card, but it would really be nice if I could somehow preserve my SMS/MMS history.

Thanks again, @Meowmix and @RogersShakir

Kurt

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @KurtToronto

You can download a third party app for backing up text messages. I usally do that or back up the device on the LG software on your laptop / desktop. LG has a backup on their devices in the settings which back up the text messages too!

froggyli
I plan to stick around
Mine was doing the same thing too! I turned off the activity logs in the about phone settings and somehow my location settings got set to high so maybe check into that as well. This seems to have fixed things. I can unplug my phone at night 9:30 10ish go to bed and wake up at 7:30-8 and my phone still happily say 100%

ov
I've been here awhile

Same thing is happening to me.  I use to get through the day no problem.  Now I cant even keep the phone alive for more than 3 hours!

Called rogers twice and they wont do anything unless the phone is within 15 days of purchase.  Nevermind that their update brooke the phone and it is not reversable.

Under settings -> battery -> Android System is the biggest culprit so not much I can do there.

Please post if also happening to you and what you did to fix it.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ov

How is the update their fault exactly? Rogers does NOT make the OS. That is LG & Google. Contact them about the issue with the update...

As for the fix. Have anyone of you guys tried contacting LG Canada to see if they have a fix or a temp fix?

ov
I've been here awhile

actually, google makes the OS and then LG followed by Rogers modifies it.  This is typically where bugs/slowdowns occour and why people prefer a pure google OS and not one that forces you to install rogers apps.

Rogers sells a phone that is adveristed as being able to last X about of hours.  Phone no longer does this after Rogers pushs out the update.  Phone is sold by rogers and less than a year old therefore rogers should replace the phone with one that works such as a refurb running the previous OS.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @ov

They only add their bloatware to make the device work on Rogers. They do not touch anything else. If the update does not work before pushing out, they send it back & have LG & google look into it. Then gets sent back to Rogers. Thats how it works. Rogers is not allowed to touch anything else in the OS other then adding their own bloatware & testing the OS out before releasing. If bugs come out, they do. See IOS. Apple controls the OS but still has issues. No one can blame the carriers. Same goes with the Nexus devices. Every OS has bugs & issues no matter who controls it or not. 

Sadly it does not work that way with Rogers or any carrier. If you have a issue with the device, send it out for repair & see if it gets fixed. They do not give you a new one or refurb unless you pay for the Insurance plan which then you need to contact Asurion & they will take care of it.
Also as specified on their agreements no carrier can send out a device with the older update on them unless no new update has come out.

meandcas
I'm here a lot
I feel your pain. Did 6 factory resets and a safemode start all in 4 weeks. My mainboard was replaced in November. Phone heats up to 48.7 degrees. The phone is off for repairs again. But I do not want this phone back. Time to buy out my contract and move on to another carrier. The internet is filled with the same stories.

Yes I have tried contact LG. They keep referring me back to Rogers. Rogers tells me to contact LG. My dog says give it to her for a chew toy.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @meandcas

Rogers unfortunately can't do much other then send it into repair and try to fix it. Other then that it's up to LG. They are the ones solely responsible for this if it keeps happening. I stopped using my G4 due to the over heating and also the battery would only last me 6-7 hrs if i used Bluetooth or even used it for emailing, calling and using What'sapp. So i gave the phone a boot and got my self a S7 edge. Never looked back. I noticed soms LG phones that have battery issues, heating issues and such so I rather never got a LG phone.

Trying to be honest but I do have Phone Protection plan. One way or another the phone will bereplaced.

KurtToronto
I'm here a lot

FINAL UPDATE

Should have put this up earlier, but in addition to the initial equilibriation after about a week that brought me up to 75% of the battery life, a week or so later the regular battery life has returned: I regularly get 48+ hours on a charge with each battery, so it seems to have "figured itself out". Perhaps there were other update-related things going on in the background, I don't know. I have not done a factory reset, and the only app that I uninstalled was Accuweather (I've since reinstalled it), as the battery monitor suggested that at one point it was using a large percentage of the battery.

Thanks. As a previous post said that it could be an Android problem or LG problem. So I should contact Google or LG, one ignored me and LG told me to go back to the carrier. I now see the sexy appeal of an iPhone. Apple take care of everything. No more Android for me.

I un-installed everything. Left phone in Safemode as directed by LG. 4 factory resets, all since Feb 6th. Phone would hold it charge for a day here and there. Mainboard was replaced in November. In February I couldn't put phone in pocket because it would heat up to 48.7 degrees. Great if I wanted to cook a steak will walking my dog in February. Some carriers in the US are replacing the phones. Not here in Canada.
Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation