cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4: WARNING - do NOT upgrade Android

KurtToronto
I'm here a lot

I got my LG G4 at the beginning of July and have absolutely love it. It does everything that I need a phone to do and the removeable battery and expandable memory was a big factor in my selection.

The battery life was amazing: I don't play games on my phone, I rarely make an actual phone call, and I use a web/SMS interface (MightyText, if you're interested: quality product if you work at a computer). That being said, I'm far from a light user: I search the web a lot , text with different apps and use social media.

My battery life averaged at least 40-50 hours most of the time (heavy use taking a lot of phots would reduce that to 30-35, very light use would extend it to 60+ hours), and this has been consistent for the last seven months of use. Having a second battery is the plus, because I an allow it to die to 0% and immeditately switch out the battery.

When Android 6.0 was pushed to the phone I was hesitant, but consdiering that it's been deployed to other networks over the last few months, I took a risk and updated. BIG mistake: I've just gotten home from work and the battey is at 2% after about 9 hours. The phone felt physically warm and I checked the temperature (*#*#4636#*#*) and it was in the low 40s.

I'm quite worried that this will be unalterable and that I will have to live with this for the remaining 17 months before I can get an upgrade. I'm going to search the web for any information on things that I can try and possibly even look into if there is a way to downgrade. I would just warn people not to jump on the new update: I had NO complaints with the OS at all, and I feel that I've learned my lesson.

I will update if the situation changes. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

*** Edited Labels ***

31 REPLIES 31

Re: LG G4: WARNING - do NOT upgrade Android

DrewLazz
I plan to stick around

@meandcas wrote:
Thanks. As a previous post said that it could be an Android problem or LG problem. So I should contact Google or LG, one ignored me and LG told me to go back to the carrier. I now see the sexy appeal of an iPhone. Apple take care of everything. No more Android for me.

No need to be hasty.. I would suggest getting a Nexus device next time, or rooting your phone (not sure if that's a kosher topic on these boards).

This is the exact reason people want vanilla Android devices. Manufacturers and (especially) carriers have an abysmal record of heavily modifying stock Android ROMs for the worse.

froggyli
I plan to stick around
So I have a bit of an update. Somehow I accidentally turned on my volte while I was charging, my phone started heating up and the battery went down while on the charger! Switched it off when I realized it was on it cooled down and the battery went up 12% in about 10 minutes.

DrewLazz
I plan to stick around

VoLTE is draining the battery that fast, while not even in use?  That's clearly a bug. There's no way a VoLTE service or app should pull power like that, especially if you weren't even on a video call.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @DrewLazz

I can confirm the same. This is why I changed devices. My G4 died 6-7 hours of usage where my new device goes 15hrs and still goes of the same usage.

froggyli
I plan to stick around
I keep my voLTE turned off, like I said I somehow switched it on and didn't realize it until I pulled down my notification shade, my quick remote widget still isn't working too, even after multiple cache and data clearing and app uninstallation

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @froggyli

I honestly got tired of my G4 dying so fast. Dying after 5-6 hours of normally usage meanwhile my S7 does 14+ on the same usage. Nothing different. The update did screw up the usage / battery

I have an update about my battery life. Phone was repaired for the second time - Dec 2015 and again March 2016. Very frustrating. Both times the mainboard was replaced. Received a new battery with second repair. There was a problem with the phone when Rogers diagnostic tool crashed when phone was connected. Can't understand why they wouldn't go good for a new phone. Battery life is now fantastic. Please check your battery usage to determine what Apps are draining the battery. Prior to repair Android OS was running at 54%, now 6 to 9%. Stand firm with Rogers. If you get nowhere ask for Customer Care and from there Customer Retention.

DrewLazz
I plan to stick around

Glad to hear it's at least sorted out for you now, mate. Here's hoping you don't have any further issues.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @meandcas

That is great to hear! Hopefully nothing else comes up in the future.

qewywiju
I'm here a lot

Very Sad to hear about your issue. But i have an idea with which you can downgrade your device's firmaware. But this is ver long process of approx 40 steps. So i don't share all steps but i will share the main steps of this procedure and you can see rest of all other steps in LG G4 Manual.

• Power Off the LG G4.
  • Plug in a Micro USB Cable into Your Computer.
  • Press and Hold the Volume Up Button. 
  • Plug in a Micro USB Cable While Still Holding the Volume Up Button.
  • Wait Until You See a Firmware Update Screen.
  • Let Go of the Volume Up Button.
  • Press the Windows Key on Your Keyboard.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @qewywiju

Even though that is a good idea, the user will be prompted a download window to download the new firmware after downgrading. So there isn't much point to that other the spending time doing this. Also it doesn't remove issues or battery drainage as per XDA.
Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation