I do not want a refurb for my $800 Note 4. What do I do?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

I do not want a refurb for my $800 Note 4. What do I do?

Having issues with my Note 4. Nothing I do will fix it, needs to be sent in. This is where things start to suck.

It was a gift, I don't have a receipt. So I had to call customer service to get the phone registered and notes put on the account so I can take it in and get it "repaired". I do not want to go through this. I just want a new phone.

I was told if I do a " swap" they will send me a refurb. Unacceptable. What do I do?

Is there anything I can do here? Getting really sick of being bent over a barrel. I have a barely used phone here with major calling issues, why would I want a refurb?

The phone is pristine, who gives a crap if its over 30 days... That's ridiculous I pay $85 a month for my phone and I expect better service.

Really close to canceling my entire account because of this treatment. Any advice? I feel like I'm being ripped off here.

***Edited Labels.***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: I do not want a refurb for my $800 Note 4. What do I do?

Hello nexxusty

Unfortunately No carrier is going to give u a brand new phone if urs is having a issue. A refurbished device means it's new just returned back due to customers not wanting the device and it's been tested and checked for damage or issue and it's been passed. . To be honest ur lucky u are even getting a refurbished device seeing as u didn't buy the device from them and u got it as a gift...  Others have been told they can't do much other then to send it into repair and see if it gets fixed. So all in all just take this.  

U can close ur account and go to someone else but they will do the same thing so that would be silly to do. All carriers give out refurbished phones when u send urs in or do a exchange if urs has issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you new to purchasing electronics? Since when do they replace your defective unit for a new one after the 30 days mark? Never! Or under very specific exception only. The phone you sent them is not new, so why would you get a new phone back? Just the fact that you don't have a receipt or bought the phone through rogers yourself I find that quite exceptional that someone was kind enough to help you. Appreciate that and understand they could of just as easily told you to figure things out on your own.

Sorry for sounding mad, but I work in retail the the first thing I hate is when people act like they dont know the drill.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello polishpat

Well SOMETIMES if the device has just been released & their is NO refurbished models, they will send u a new one. This happened to me with my S4 & Q10 a few days after release. If the device has been released & its months / years later u will get a refurbished device no matter what company / carrier you are with.  A refursbished device has been brought back due to many reasons & most of them are just either for battery issues OR the customers bring them back because they do not like the device. I worked for a Sony store & seen this many times & we sold them as open boxes / refurbised. 

I agree with you tho that them giving the OP a refurbished device that has been looked at / new battery & all is a good option instead of demanding a new one. The only way u can get a new one is if you are within the 15 days / 30 minutes period or like i said in some cases if the device has just been released & they do not have refurbished models, they will do it then. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I had to deal with Rogers 3 times for replacement units. All of them were refurbised, all of them looked brand new and functionned perfectly. It's not that much of a big deal. Of course, if the refurbishing cycle hasn't had time to close the loop yet, thats another story, but that was one of the exceptions i mentionned before.

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @nexxusty welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about your device issues Smiley Sad I understand you stated the device needs to be sent in.

Just curious what are the issues you were having with your device?

Is this software related or hardware?

What troubleshooting steps have you already taken?

The community might be able to chime in with input that might help if we are provided with more info!.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Polishpat

I agree. Refurbished devices look & act as new devices do. The only thing they are just refurbished due to customers bringing them back or had issues but have been fixed & have new batteries .& screens on them. There is no damage or anything. Hopefully the OP can get a refurbished device & work with that as Rogers will not give them a new one & no carrier would.

AS RogersMichealB said, the OP can post the issues they are having & see if we can give the OP some advice on fixing the issue without sending it in & if they have already done a factory reset on the device to see if that fixes it. If its a bigger issue, their only option would be sending it into repair OR doing a exchange & getting a refurb device.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am actually a professional technician, I've done all steps to verify its not a software issue. It's definitely not. I've done a factory reset and that didn't fix it. Next I tried to isolate the issue to the Radio or the mic/speaker.

Its the radio.

Here is how I know. Recently bought a magnetic car mount, no issues with it other than this one....The metal insert they give you to put between your phone and case causes interference while on GSM calls. WiFi calls are not affected, this is how I determined the mic/speaker was fine. So there you have it. Note 4 and magnetic car mount? Nope. I started to figure this out when for the life if me I couldn't get the problem to show up to the Rogers reps. Case was off, insert was not predent.

Problem did not happen. So I kept it out of the case for a few days and made many calls. Nothing, perfect calls every time.

Weird though no? Not one problem like this on the entire internet for Note 4. Its hard to even describe the interference, probably why. Its not your traditional buzzing or tick tick tick sound.

Its like a long drawn out hum that is constantly oscillating. Its not normal at all. Even for a "defect".
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Isn't the solution simple enough? Don't use the magnetic case.

I know one thing for sure, magnets affect magnets and a speaker and mic are just that, magnets.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh. Started happening again. I swear it wasn't happening when I had it out of the case. Low and behold it started again, even while naked.

Oh well, I cant win. Especially with Samsung.

This will be my last Samsung device ever. This defect (comepletely unacceptable that I don't get a new phone for this, I don't care what the policies are) and the software issues (4.4.4 Reboots randomly, pathetic), also them taking WAYY too long with Lollipop.

I'm officially done with Samsung. Shame for them too, they are about to lose one of their best customers. I own : Galaxy Nexus, S3, S4, S5, Note 3, Note 4.

Ya I bought all of those. I dont do contracts.

However, I hate you Samsung. You are a crap company who treat your customers like absolute junk. Even ones like me who spend wayyyyy too much money on your wares.

I'd love to get rid of this for a Google Nexus 6. Anyone want to trade for my new phone once I get it back? I'm not waiting any longer. I'm done waiting.

This phone will be sold one way or another.