cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid long distance charges on cell phone

sdraza1
I'm here a lot

I use viber or whatsapp to call overseas. I dont know perhaps I made some mistake in calling and my rogers bill is showing extra $42 for long distance calls, it is not showing any details that whcih country or which number I called. Is there any option on samsung galaxy android phone which can block direct overseas calls from the phone?  thanks a lot.

*** Edit Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to avoid long distance charges on cell phone

The person who came here from the states, they likely still have a US telephone number, even tho they are visiting or located in Canada.  You are calling a US number, thus long distance charges will apply. What you need to do to avoid this is look at their number and area code, if it looks like its NOT a toronto number or area code, then ASK THEM, say something like hey, i noticed you dont have a 416 number, what city does that area code and number belong to?  if you do this, you can prevent long distance calls, or if u want you can add a long distance add-on to your line and they will all be included.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @sdraza1,

Thank you for your post! We definitely understand the inconveniences of this situation.

I can see you need the option to be able to prevent your phone from calling overseas using your minutes, should the viber or whatsapp not connect properly. You may have a 'restrict outgoing call barring' feature on your Samsung device. What's the model number of your device? Are you able to access the call history in the viber or whatsapp? When you check your Rogers bill under DETAILS -> TALK -> DOWNLOAD USAGE, what is listed under the 'LOCATION CALLED' column? Click here to see a screen shot.

Regards,
RogersArthur

jkroesen
I'm a trusted contributor

From what I understand is using 3rd party APP's to cover Long Distance charges is not a guaranteed to cover the charges... Rogers can't Guarantee a Service that they do not provide...  so it is a hit or miss weather the cost of long distance will be covered with those app...

As for blocking over seas # i'll have to let someone else chime into that... However, I think that customer care can block those calls.....

Williamcl
I've been around
I keep getting dinged with long distant calls to us from Canada. I have no idea how this is happening.. I know one person came here from the states and I did not know they were from the states and I got charged for long distance.. This happening almost every month.. I'm starting to think I should get long distance plan cause I don't phone the states but I'm charged long distance all the time

The person who came here from the states, they likely still have a US telephone number, even tho they are visiting or located in Canada.  You are calling a US number, thus long distance charges will apply. What you need to do to avoid this is look at their number and area code, if it looks like its NOT a toronto number or area code, then ASK THEM, say something like hey, i noticed you dont have a 416 number, what city does that area code and number belong to?  if you do this, you can prevent long distance calls, or if u want you can add a long distance add-on to your line and they will all be included.

maneck123
I've been around

Same issue with me, i just got a bill for 50$ for Long distance call. Using an iphone 

Greetings and welcome to our Community @maneck123!

Unexpected charges such as this can be a real drag. I would like to look into this charge for you to ensure that it is legitimate.

If it is not legitimate, I can reverse it for you. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I may further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Nancy12
I'm here a lot

You should disable cellular service on your whatsapp.   I've just been told that Rogers charges whatsapp texting to overseas (including U.S) if it is not used using wifi.   If wifi signal drops and activates the cellular service, you will get a charge for the text.  I just received charges for 3 whatsapp texts even though I was texting at home with wifi.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 in conversation