Has anybody else noticed that they're getting SMS notifications for new voicemails?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Has anybody else noticed that they're getting SMS notifications for new voicemails?

Hi.

On my Galaxy S Captivate I've recently started receiving SMS notifications whenever I get a new voicemail - so when i miss a call I get a missed call notification, a new voice mail indication AND an SMS that says:

Voicemail 1 New 0 Urgent

It's normal to get these SMSes on Blackberry but I've never seen them before on the Android platform but it's now consistent.

Is anybody else getting these now or is it just me?

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Has anybody else noticed that they're getting SMS notifications for new voicemails?

I used to get them on my iPhone 4S / HTC Raider & blackberry 9860 / 9900 bold. Its weird that i get the message yet it also shows it on the screen.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anybody else noticed that they're getting SMS notifications for new voicemails?

Getting an SMS is part of your rogers package. You don't pay for voice mail that is converted to text.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yea that is true like Shaggy said.
I Plan to Stick Around

No - it's not a "visual voicemail" - the SMS contains only the text: Voicemail 1 New 0 Urgent

It's a control SMS used by rogers to tell your phone you have a new voicemail waiting - it causes the "voicemail waiting indicator" to come on.

However these used to be suppressed (I didn't see them) but now I am seeing them and I'm trying to determine what has changed.

I have always "seen" these on blackberry but up until recently my Captivate was suppressing them.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

No one said its "visual voicemail"... Visual Voice mail is on Apple iPhone's & a few other phones...

Rogers has activated this service for free when you have voicemail on your plan. IT will send you a text message saying " Voicemail 1 New 0 Urgent" This is another way to see you have a voicemail if they screen does not show the voicemail icon.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Uhm, when I get a voice mail, it gets converted to text, & appears as an SMS message. Even when it can't " understand " the message, I still get a text, saying something like.. Couldn't convert to text.. Check voice mail by pressing 1 It's included in my oh so economical $12 per month voice mail & caller I. D. :-[
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for all the replies so far -

Well I know about the voicemail-to-text feature (which I incorrectly referred to as visual voicemail earlier) - my girlfriend gets those on her phone but they don't seem to be part of my plan as I've never gotten them and still don't (and don't want them).

It's the "Voicemail 1 New 0 Urgent" that I'm referring to - I just recently started getting these - maybe the last 2 or 3 weeks. When you do some research you'll see that they're control smses used to tell your phone to activate the voice mail waiting indicator (and also to turn it off when you've listened to the message). They're "generally" suppossed to be hidden though.

Meoxmix - When you say "Rogers has activated this service for free" do you mean they did that just recently? Are you saying that all Rogers customers (with any phone) are now getting these visible SMSes? Are you getting them right now?

The reason i'm asking this question is because I'm running a custom ROM and I'm trying to determine whether the ROM itself is handling these SMSes incorrectly or whether Rogers has just recently changed something in regards to how they handle Voicemail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

those text are not new., ive been getting them back in 2001.   some devices "intercept" them and do not display the new sms msg, where other devices just display it normally as an sms,.  it depends on the device.  motollolla will intercept them, nokia too, not sure about the google phones

I Plan to Stick Around

Right - Thanks.

That's kind of the information I was looking for. My blackberry has always shown them as well. My Android phone did NOT show them until recently which is why I was wondering if Rogers had changed something.

For some reason it seems then that the custom ROM (AT&T based) I'm on isn't "intercepting" them and thus they're being displayed to me.