cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 1/2 Security Patches

BatJoe
I plan to stick around

Well, its November, yet my Pixel 2 is still only patched to September. What is going on Rogers?

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Google Pixel 1/2 Security Patches

Good evening @teohatz,

Thank you for your post!

I know how it's like to wait longer than expected on an update for your phone.

Regarding Android version updates, Pixel phones get the latest version of Android directly from Google.

If you bought your device from the Google Store, updates will typically reach your device within 2 weeks. If you bought your device elsewhere, updates can take longer.

You can find more information, here.

Don't hesitate to reach out to Google Support directly if you have any other questions.

On the top right corner of that page, you'll see a "Contact us" option.

Select your phone model and preferred communication method:

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @BatJoe

Dont the security patches come straight from Google? I was told that unless wrong. ( Google rep told me this).

BatJoe
I plan to stick around

Only if the phone is bought from Google. If you get it from a carrier, it is up to the carrier to let the updates get pushed through. And Rogers is slacking.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @BatJoe

Hmm that's no good. Rogers shouldnt be slacking like this.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around
Same here.

Kind of disappointing. If a phone made by Google doesn't even get a monthly security patch on time, who does? 🤔

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Interesting Read on How recent Google Pixel updates are being rolled out, including the WIFI Kracked issue

Have a read - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/android-security-update-fixes-krack-slaps-band-aid-on-pixel-...

So, although the router's have been shown safe from this issue, it would appear in this article, that it has not been fully dealt with on the Pixel patches from Google, and probably with getting them out to carriers too.

Sure this is true with many of the device manufacturer rollouts or patches from either the manufacturer or carrier, and in particular the current security concern.  Best protection right now for that concern is VPN.

Bruce

Naeng
I plan to stick around

Well by checking Google's OTA releeases.. seem like the Rogers carrier settings hasn't been pushed yet.

"taimen" for Pixel 2 XL

8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.012, Sep 2017, Rogers, Fido)

"walleye" for Pixel 2

8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.012, Sep 2017, Rogers, Fido)

You guys should really look at the patch dates on those OTA..

Source: https://developers.google.com/android/ota

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Wow...bravo (slow clap) Rogers... 😕

Your OS upgrade page stipulate november 6 for availability...what is the purpose of this page....

Naeng
I plan to stick around

Well prob the best answer is if @RogersDarrell would know maybe? Since he made the thread of the OS upgrade

rajeshr
I plan to stick around
I thought all Pixel patches come directly from Google. When the original Pixel came out, that was the announcement from Google.

BTW, what would be the issue if we installed the non-Rogers version of the OTA?

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Just to let you guys know, I just received the update.

Yé!

@Naeng wrote:

Well prob the best answer is if @RogersDarrell would know maybe? Since he made the thread of the OS upgrade

Naeng
I plan to stick around

@jefflessard wrote:

Just to let you guys know, I just received the update.

Yé!

@Naeng wrote:

Got it too, plus the worst if you installed the Google OTA without Rogers.. could prob be the loss of VoLTE or WiFi calling, those kind of features that Rogers offer on their carrier settings I'm sure just like the ones for iOS.

samin
I've been here awhile
I still have not received the Nov security update for my Pixel XL.

It is interesting that some of you claim that you have already received this update.

What phone do you have? I got a pixel 2 xl n I've been spamming the check for update button... Nothing...
But my wife got it as she turned on her pixel 2 last night

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I have the 1st pixel XL. The OS upgrade page says 8.1 is now available but I can't get it. Any ideas?

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

On Pixel 2 and I have not received it either.

It took 7 days for the november security patch to come through to my phone. (once it was marked as available on the OS upgrade page)

BatJoe
I plan to stick around

13 days and no patch released for February. Rogers own schedule says it would be available on the 5th.

Why is Rogers unable to provide timely updates to its customers?

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Same here.  No update yet. I asked on Twitter to RogersHelp, and the answer is that not all device receives the update at the same time....

I know for a fact that two of my friends with Pixel phones have received the update within days of the 5th. On Rogers network.

Jay_AndroidFan
I plan to stick around

Still waiting for you guys to approve so I can get it pushed to my phone.

Usually you guys are very fast - approved same day Google releases them.

teohatz
I've been here awhile
Can anyone tell me why my Pixel 2 has not yet received the November 2018 security patch? It's almost December. Someone help?

Good evening @teohatz,

Thank you for your post!

I know how it's like to wait longer than expected on an update for your phone.

Regarding Android version updates, Pixel phones get the latest version of Android directly from Google.

If you bought your device from the Google Store, updates will typically reach your device within 2 weeks. If you bought your device elsewhere, updates can take longer.

You can find more information, here.

Don't hesitate to reach out to Google Support directly if you have any other questions.

On the top right corner of that page, you'll see a "Contact us" option.

Select your phone model and preferred communication method:

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 in conversation