Google Pixel 1/2 Security Patches

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Google Pixel 1/2 Security Patches

Well, its November, yet my Pixel 2 is still only patched to September. What is going on Rogers?

***EDITED LABELS***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Google Pixel 1/2 Security Patches

Hello @BatJoe

Dont the security patches come straight from Google? I was told that unless wrong. ( Google rep told me this).
I Plan to Stick Around

Only if the phone is bought from Google. If you get it from a carrier, it is up to the carrier to let the updates get pushed through. And Rogers is slacking.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BatJoe

Hmm that's no good. Rogers shouldnt be slacking like this.
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here.

Kind of disappointing. If a phone made by Google doesn't even get a monthly security patch on time, who does? 🤔
I'm a Senior Advisor

Interesting Read on How recent Google Pixel updates are being rolled out, including the WIFI Kracked issue

Have a read - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/android-security-update-fixes-krack-slaps-band-aid-on-pixel-...

So, although the router's have been shown safe from this issue, it would appear in this article, that it has not been fully dealt with on the Pixel patches from Google, and probably with getting them out to carriers too.

Sure this is true with many of the device manufacturer rollouts or patches from either the manufacturer or carrier, and in particular the current security concern.  Best protection right now for that concern is VPN.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Well by checking Google's OTA releeases.. seem like the Rogers carrier settings hasn't been pushed yet.

"taimen" for Pixel 2 XL

8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.012, Sep 2017, Rogers, Fido)

"walleye" for Pixel 2

8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.012, Sep 2017, Rogers, Fido)

You guys should really look at the patch dates on those OTA..

Source: https://developers.google.com/android/ota

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow...bravo (slow clap) Rogers... :-/

Your OS upgrade page stipulate november 6 for availability...what is the purpose of this page....

I Plan to Stick Around

Well prob the best answer is if @RogersDarrell would know maybe? Since he made the thread of the OS upgrade

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought all Pixel patches come directly from Google. When the original Pixel came out, that was the announcement from Google.

BTW, what would be the issue if we installed the non-Rogers version of the OTA?
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 in conversation