Google Nexus 5 Warranty issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Google Nexus 5 Warranty issues

SO.   

I'm a looooong time rogers customer, have 3 lines/3 phones and am pretty happy overall.   Recently I signed a new 2 year contract and got a google nexus 5.   really happy with this phone but recently it intermittently stopped charging.   for a few days, it wouldn't take a charge, wouldn't connect to a PC.   I did a hard boot and  then suddenly it would start working again but a day later would cease charging.   after a couple times nothing i did would rectify the issue.  

googled it, saw it was a relatively common problem.  talked to rogers tech support, they concluded it was a hardware issue and sent me off to a rogers store to get it repaired.   

at this point i had the option of a straight swap via rogers for a $35 fee, or i could send it for free through a store.  i was 100 per cent confident the phone was defective so saw no need to do anything other than send it for free through the store.  

so i sent the phone off, received a loaner phone in the interim.   4 days later the rogers store gets an answer back.  

the phone has suffered water damage or hardware damage inflicted by the user.  unrepairable, no estaimte costs given.  just, not under warranty.

background - i have had this phone for 4 months.  day one its been in a protective case iwth screen protector.   there isn't a scratch on it.  i've never dropped it or gotten it wet or exposed it to any unreasonable usage envronment.   

when i asked about the prognosis and if there was someone i could speak to, the store rep stated they had no further information but they could request pictures.   so fine.  i requested pictures.   but pictures aren't the point.   

i called rogers tech support , got bounced around to customer care, customer retention, tech access, for 30 minutes before i finally landed back in tech support (!!!) .   i explained the situation to the rep, and stated the following:  

i have in no way damged this phone.  i 've been careful, i've gone out of my way to ensure it was protected properly, it seems unreasonable to me that a charging issue is now not under warranty.  i've signed a two year contract to get this phone and now i'm facing a phone replacement cost when i have done nothing wrong.  

the rep  advised me they had no data whatsoever regarding the repair or its status and i would have to talk to the rogers store.   

so i called the rogers store again, stated that i wanted to speak to someone about a conflict with the warranty repair center's diagnosis.   i said pictures were of no consequence to me because i was 100 per cent certain i inflicted no damage to this phone.   i told her i live in my truck during the day, its dry and protected.  the store rep asked why i thought pictures wouldn't help.   i replied.  well because i know i did not inflict damage to my phone.   she replied, often users can damage phones without knowing.   she said  "you said you keep it inyour truck, vehicles are the worst places to keep phones the humidity can damage them. humidity turns to water. "  i find this to be a bit unreasonable.  for one there is very little ambient humidity in ontario in the winter.   at least not enough to cause that level of moisture.   two:  it's only in my truck during working hours.  

so now i have to wait for a tech repair centre email that will also get forwarded (apparently) to rogers tech support.   at this point tech support at rogers claims they will have some information and can talk to me about my phone.  

my concern is this:  

i'm reduced to "he said she said" with this situation.   i know i did nothing to this phone.   store reps are countering my statement, invoking mysterious floating damage circumstances that get crammed to fit my work and lifestyle to justify the   

assessment of user damage.    this to me is a warranty issue, the phone is 4 months old and in like new condition.  i just want it repaired and to keep my contract with rogers.   

the ultimate answer here will be:  phone is dead, too bad so sad.  and i am stuck with a two year contract and no phone.  i will then be forced to deal with the situation in a litigious manner which i really prefer not to.  i have asked every department repeated times who i can speak with to discuss the assesssment and my contract and discussing the repair, to no avail.  

can anyone offer advice, or insight?  Or a contact whom i can speak with to discuss this matter in a comprehensive manner? 

i am retiscent to engage the store in any lengthy debate because ultimately they have no authority to make decisions or discuss my contract terms and my continuation with rogers.  

any help is appreciated

armand

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Google Nexus 5 Warranty issues

Just so you know, it's the repair center (for LG) that deems the device water damaged, and not Rogers.  Rogers simply sends the phone for you to the manufacturer's repair centre. Not saying it is the case for you, but it's quite possible that your phone sitting in the car did incur water damage. My colleague's phone's screen cracked from sitting in the car over the winter (not when it was super freezing) while she was out for a couple of hours. Not sure what you can do at this point since the battle is really with LG's repair center, maybe you can reach out to LG Canada about this issue and see what they can do for you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

the service centre says it’s damaged then it’s damaged; if I were you I would start looking for a good replacement and taking your story to consideration perhaps you should buy a water resistant handset http://www.cnet.com/news/best-waterproof-and-water-resistant-phones/
I've Been Here Awhile

actually this was helpful, thanks.   i spent a bit of time, several phone calls,  on the phone with customer support and this was never eluded to, that LG would be involved as the facility that assessed the phone.  i just assumed it was Rogers. 

today i managed to get in contact with a tech support manager, presented my opinion that the phone was only four months old on a two year contract and in that time suffered no abuse or ill use beyond that of a reasonable user, and i was offered a no cost replacement Nexus 5 refurb phone with a 90 day warranty.  

getting to this stage was gruelling.   i asked several times for the repair centre's contact information so i could discuss the issue with them firsthand, and was told that information was not available.   

i wasn't too thrilled with the refurb offer, but after reading the replies and other similar customer experiences, i'm thinking this is amenable.   

additionally, since rogers would not provide the repair centre contact info, i contacted LG and they advised the repair facility is a firm called "tech neek" in mississauga.  I have reached out to them to discuss repair costs, before committing to the refurb option.  

thanks again for the advice. 

AnonymousUser wrote:

Just so you know, it's the repair center (for LG) that deems the device water damaged, and not Rogers.  Rogers simply sends the phone for you to the manufacturer's repair centre. Not saying it is the case for you, but it's quite possible that your phone sitting in the car did incur water damage. My colleague's phone's screen cracked from sitting in the car over the winter (not when it was super freezing) while she was out for a couple of hours. Not sure what you can do at this point since the battle is really with LG's repair center, maybe you can reach out to LG Canada about this issue and see what they can do for you.